Supergirl

Greywind

Given that both shows have ignored the crossover episode, they could just move Supergirl right into the Arrowverse if they put her on the CW.

They quite firmly established that Supergirl's universe doesn't have a Flash or an Arrow and vice versa before the crossover ever happened.  

Flash did show Flash getting back from that trip, and being surprised to learn he'd only been gone a few milliseconds, he just never told anyone else about it. Which I assume is a contractual thing, in that CBS paid CW to have Flash on their show, but CW has not (yet) paid CBS to have Supergirl on their show. Le Sigh.

They quite firmly established that Supergirl's universe doesn't have a Flash or an Arrow and vice versa before the crossover ever happened.  

Not really an insurmountable problem. It's not like DC hasn't got a history of merging universes, for example. I don't actually think they'd got that route, but I wouldn't rule it out either.

It is a shame that the show is in this predicament, but I can't say I'm at all surprised. The show definitely improved over the course of the season, but my suspicion (from back before the pilot even aired) that it wouldn't find the audience CBS thought/hoped it would has been born out, I think.

I suspect if they are going to cut back on SFX, then we probably won't see the Martian Manhunter again

Maybe, maybe not. My minimal understanding of CGI is that the bulk of the cost is in developing the effect, and that once that's done reusing it over and over again is significantly cheaper?

That's true to an extent.

However, the Martian Manhunter isn't so much an effect as he is a complete CG character. That means that even though the cost to model, texture, and rig the character has already been paid, you still have the expense of paying animators to animate every scene he is in, compositors to merge him into the live action plates, plus trackers to track the live action footage, and lighters to light the animation scenes to match the live action lighting. And I'm ignoring the time and cost needed to mo-cap a stunt-performer, mostly because I don't think they bother with that on this show, but if they did, that would add to the cost of every appearance of the Manhunter.

It is a lot of work every time you decide to put a full CG character into a live action scene. And very costly, mostly in terms of labor.

Yeah, it might be. But I don't think that martian face is a prosthetic appliance. And if it was a mask, it would need articulating motors inside to move the mouth remotely while the actor is wearing it. Eaiser (but not cheaper) to do the head in CGI even if it is just going to be composited on top of a (tracked) live-action body in a costume.

But any time J'onn or Kara (or any Kryptonian for that matter) fly or engage in "super fights", we're in full CGI territory for sure. The lack of any sense of mass and inertia is a pretty big clue. Contrastly, most of the time when Barry runs in superspeed mode, they just add a bright orange lightning effect, which can be done easily and cheaply by a single Flame artist.

That "renewal" article was from March and was based on a comment that Moonves made at the time which said something to the effect that CBS was looking at renewing all five new series they launched this season. So, some in the comic book/superhero media took the renewal as a done deal and reported it as such.  

Here's an article that better discusses the state of Supergirl's renewal (as of May 11, 2016):

http://deadline.com/2016/05/supergirl-cw-move-cbs-renewal-decision-code-black-limitless-bubble-1201752684/

Bummer. Plus my understanding is that Calista Flockhart has said she's not interested in moving to Vancouver, so no more Cat. :(

Supergirl needs to move out on her own more anyway. I'm cool with that change. Even when she was on the heroes side I found her annoying.. .and not in the "the character is annoying, it will be a fun episode" but more "She's annoying, lets turn it off".

Bummer. Plus my understanding is that Calista Flockhart has said she's not interested in moving to Vancouver, so no more Cat. :(

Oh...she is my second favourite reason for watching. 

According to this article, she has changed her mind.

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2016/05/supergirl-renewed-for-second-season-moving-to-the-cw/

Yay, good news.