Supergirl

Greywind

I've seen Homeland, up to season 4.

Was Melissa Benoist any good in it?

Supergirl is the only thing I've ever seen her in, and so it is the only thing I judge her acting by (never watched Glee either, and apparently she was in that too).

Interesting.  I wonder if Lena will have the telepathy powers she had in the comics.

Of course, it still appears as though they're pinching off of Superman's supporting cast.  Is there no room in this series for Dick Malverne?  Or Selena?  It would seem to me that a revamped version of this sorceress could give our Kara a really hard time for more than a few episodes--perhaps even an entire season.

I am thinking that the additions to the supporting cast are consistent with the show formula.  Like Arrow and The Flash, Supergirl has one hero assisted by a contingent of brave and able supporters, a formula that enjoyed tremendous success with Buffy The Vampire Slayer and is spinoff Angel.  The formula varied with Supergirl to an extent in that she had to deal more with the people who didn't know her secret identity--which was Cat, Maxwell Lord, and Lucy Lane (at least until three-quarters of the way into the season).  It seems like some of the new characters, like Snapper Carr, may fall more into this category, which would make them as much potential adversaries as allies.

Hope that helps.

The lack of a single, unified live-action universe gives WB/DC the freedom to compartmentalize all their properties and deny the existance of any character in any show/movie they want. Surely this strategy has paid off more handsomely than Marvel's loosely-knit unified MCU...

Reason I was thinking Batwoman/Kate Kane is because in a lot of ways, other then the Bat name, she isn't really part of the Bat family. She comes in from the side.

She is mainstreamed in the most recent issue of Detective comics, in a sense. She and Bruce are cousins (her dad, his mom). And the two of them are training younger ones to face an developing problem - Red Robin, Steph, Cassandra, and others.

So Batman, Batwoman, and some kids - talk about "the Batman Family"

As I said before, I was hoping they'd cast Brandon Routh in the part, but this guy looks like he could work. Perhaps they could cast Routh as Batman, assuming they share the same universe--give the physical similarities between Superman and Batman, it's not that much of a stretch for me to imagine a Superman actor in the role of Batman.

(That's how Ben Affleck got the role, doncha know. He played George Reeves, aka Superman, in Hollywoodland, and he did such a great job in the Superman suit that Snyder chose him to play Batman. It's a completely true story that I just made up. :snicker: )

Brandon Routh is already a regular cast member of a superhero show on the CW, and is therefore ineligible to be another.

Having Ray Palmer's "Earth X" doppleganger be a completely different hero would not be the craziest thing the CW has done. But yeah, I wouldn't really expect it.

I do find it a bit odd that the actor is only 1 year older than Melissa Benoist, given that Clark was supposed to already be a grown-up and active hero when child-Kara arrived on Earth 10+ years ago. But I think the CW's charter limits how many over-30 actors they're allowed to have per show.

Having Ray Palmer's "Earth X" doppleganger be a completely different hero would not be the craziest thing the CW has done. But yeah, I wouldn't really expect it.

I do find it a bit odd that the actor is only 1 year older than Melissa Benoist, given that Clark was supposed to already be a grown-up and active hero when child-Kara arrived on Earth 10+ years ago. But I think the CW's charter limits how many over-30 actors they're allowed to have per show.

Kryptonians age differently, applying earth attitudes in this case is 'ageism'.  :winkgrin:

All the more reason to do something like that.  And I do think Routh is a good enough actor to pull it off.

How old an actor actually is doesn't much matter; it's how old he looks and acts on camera that's key. Tom Welling was already in his twenties when cast as sixteen-year-old Clark Kent in Smallville.

These are superhero stories. By and large, male superheroes stay 30 forever and female superheroes stay 24 forever. Unless they are teenagers by design/concept, in which case they stay (about) 16 forever. That is an age strategy Hollywood can get behind.