Supergirl

Greywind

The little yellow tabs around the edge of the S shield look weird.

On another note, I just had a crazy thought: What if the thing in the capsule at the end of season one is . . . Barry Allen? :D

It's not. They more or less revealed who it was at Comic-Con.

As for the Superman costume, the stupid texturing bothers me more than the cape attachment or the little yellow tabs under the S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

John Byrne was the first to say this is how it worked in his excellent Man of Steel post-Crisis Superman reboot,

The only thing I didn't like was his Lex Luther, I still prefer the scientist first, businessman secondary or tertiary (who knew Clark as a youngster) than the straight businessman. Getting rid of the history was akin to getting rid of any of Charles and Magneto's history, and making magneto powermad for himself, rather than motivated by the mutant war. 

You mean like writing in the relationship after Magneto had been powermad for himself since appearing in X-Men #1? I think his history with Xavier was written in at a time not far off the backstory being added to Xavier and Magneto (and Magneto's WW II involvement was added about the same time a lot of other characters' was being removed - but he has the de-aging in Defenders and revival in X-Men 104 as a moving target for his physical age). And the prior relationship was only added in the 50's/60's Superboy stories, not the early Luthor appearances.

You mean like writing in the relationship after Magneto had been powermad for himself since appearing in X-Men #1? I think his history with Xavier was written in at a time not far off the backstory being added to Xavier and Magneto (and Magneto's WW II involvement was added about the same time a lot of other characters' was being removed - but he has the de-aging in Defenders and revival in X-Men 104 as a moving target for his physical age). And the prior relationship was only added in the 50's/60's Superboy stories, not the early Luthor appearances.

Yeah, and in both cases having the relationship made for better stories. Doesn't matter when it happened. If someone creates something that makes better stories for characters who are around a long time, it seems stupid to get rid of it.

Luthor hating Superboy for having caused his hair to fall out always struck me as a really lame basis for a lifelong rivalry. And to me Luthor's costumes and armor looked garish and goofy, hard to take seriously. Byrne's notion that Lex had been the most powerful man in Metropolis until Superman showed up -- the one man he couldn't buy, intimidate, or kill -- seemed like a more credible source for his jealousy and ultimate hatred. Still, I'm glad that in this millennium the various DC media have been moving corporate Lex back into the super-scientist stream. It adds further dimension to his threat to Superman, and reinforces their "brain vs brawn" dynamic.

Luthor hating Superboy for having caused his hair to fall out always struck me as a really lame basis for a lifelong rivalry.

In one version of the story, the same accident that made him lose his hair also destroyed the artificial, possibly intelligent, amorphous life form that Luthor had just created in his lab.  He became convinced that Superboy had deliberately destroyed it out of jealousy about his scientific achievements.

adventure271-06-104782.jpg?t=1475976878

The picture I found online of the aftermath of its destruction is a different art style than the picture I posted, so its destruction in the accident is most likely a retcon.  Everything else shows him upset over the accident destroying the irreplaceable Kryptonite antidote he had created using the life form.

I think there was also a lot of support for Luthor becoming a foe that could not be defeated with physical power. That's Superman's forte. The super scientist Luthor just kept building bigger robots and more powerful weapons for Superman to defeat and be unaffected by. An opponent he could not beat by bouncing his attacks off his invulnerable frame and KOing him with his little finger made for a real adversary.

Were there some great silver age classics caused by Luthor's history with Superboy that I am failing to recall?

Incidentally, "making his hair fall out" actually means "caused permanent physical injury to him", and is less trivial than it initially seems. Of course Superboy stories were even more kid-oriented than Superman ones, if possible, so such implications tended not to appear.

Obviously Luthor was an opponent of Superboy as well as Superman, and was bald as a teenager, which is unusual. Associating the two aspects of the character makes as much sense as anything else.

Alternatively, young Luthor needs another origin appropriate to kid-friendly Silver Age stories. Or rather, he doesn't, since everyone knows he's Superboy's arch-nemesis, but if you care about such things, he does.

Byrne's notion that Lex had been the most powerful man in Metropolis until Superman showed up -- the one man he couldn't buy, intimidate, or kill -- seemed like a more credible source for his jealousy and ultimate hatred.

Yeah his reboot of Superman was really, really great and truly definitive, just like his Fantastic Four reboot.

I was impressed with the Supergirl season premiere. I was more than a little skeptical about the introduction of Superman, but CW's version of the Big Guy turned out to be every bit as charming as their version of Supergirl, and the banter between the two of them felt easy and natural. I literally laughed out loud several times, including Cat calling for her new assistant (not gonna spoil it for you!). And damn, I wish I'd had a mentor like Kat to give me that speech when I was Kara's age! Overall, one of their better episodes, and hopefully a sign of good things to come on the new network.

My only concern is wondering how long Helen Slater's Ma Danvers has to live, since we know killing off superheroes' parents is pretty-much mandatory on the CW...

I do find it a bit odd that the actor is only 1 year older than Melissa Benoist, given that Clark was supposed to already be a grown-up and active hero when child-Kara arrived on Earth 10+ years ago. But I think the CW's charter limits how many over-30 actors they're allowed to have per show.

And I LOVE the fact that they actually addressed/lampshaded this on the show!

I had fun watching it. I agree with BDH that Superman was an addition to the show, not a subtractive element.

I like the growing friendship between Cat and Kara, so that is going to make the guest appearance thing a little more painful. Too much of the Soap Opera-y thing between Kara and James Olson. I was afraid of it and my fears were completely justified. They jumped the gun on that and it is something that can't just go back in the bag for later. Meh.

Overall pleased with the premiere. Much better than Flash or Arrow this year.

I was impressed with the Supergirl season premiere. I was more than a little skeptical about the introduction of Superman, but CW's version of the Big Guy turned out to be every bit as charming as their version of Supergirl, and the banter between the two of them felt easy and natural. I literally laughed out loud several times, including Cat calling for her new assistant (not gonna spoil it for you!). And damn, I wish I'd had a mentor like Kat to give me that speech when I was Kara's age! Overall, one of their better episodes, and hopefully a sign of good things to come on the new network.

My only concern is wondering how long Helen Slater's Ma Danvers has to live, since we know killing off superheroes' parents is pretty-much mandatory on the CW...

I think Eliza Danvers is safe.  Supergirl as a much less dark tone then Arrow or even Flash. 

It's hard to tell if Lena Luthor will become evil.

In the  1960s comics Lena Thorul was an orphan who became a friend of Linda Danvers (Supergirl).  Lena seemed to sense a connection between Linda and Supergirl.  When Lena was turned down for a job at the FBI because her background information was false, Supergirl went back in time and discovered that she was the younger sister of Lex Luthor.  Supergirl talked to Lex (who was in prison at the time) and he revealed that his parents had changed their and Lena's last name from Luthor to Thorul to avoid the same of being related to him.  He also revealed that Lena was exposed to one of his experiments as a child and that explained her latent telepathic ability. 

The fx budget is clearly substantially lower than it was under CBS. But the rest of the show's qualities more than make up for it, IMO.

The season premiere had a lot of fun little bits of fan service, which I don't mind that much. The "I'm moving back to Gotham" line was cute, but I think viewers should avoid reading too much into that. I predict we'll never hear the name Gotham mentioned again.

The one potential problem the show needs to work on is producing adversaries that are actually capable of putting the combined might of Supergirl, Superman (and Superboy?), and Martian Manhunter to the test. That is an incredibly formidable group, and it would take a villain like Braniac (the real thing, not Indigo) or Darkseid to really challenge them. But I don't think the vision for the show, especially its down-sized version on the CW, is expected to be that epic.

I literally laughed out loud several times, including Cat calling for her new assistant (not gonna spoil it for you!). And damn, I wish I'd had a mentor like Kat to give me that speech when I was Kara's age! Overall, one of their better episodes, and hopefully a sign of good things to come on the new network.

Glad you didn't spoil me. That was very entertaining. And completely unexpected.

Yeah, I'll miss the Cat/Kara dynamic on this show. (And no one will ever convince me that Cat doesn't know Kara's secret. She only pretends not to because it is obviously so important to Kara that she not know.)