Supergirl

Greywind

That would be tricky, since MTM didn't premiere until 1970. ;)

I don't normally like those sorts of shout-outs, because they take me out of the story. But yeah, I smiled. And I guess Lynda's going to be a recurring character, so that's cool. (Tho did anyone think her line deliveries felt a little stilted?)

Nice to introduce Maggie Sawyer too. Tho for about half the episode, my brain Maggie confused with Renee Montoya and I had... (wait for it...) Questions.

Mary Tyler Moore was known for the Dick Van Dyke show in the mid-60s

If you consider that the aliens on Earth are, for the most part, those who were imprisoned on the Kryptonian prison ship (which was likely for the "harder case" criminals) it's not all that unreasonable that they'd be the more powerful ones.  I expect they would have had on-planet or in-orbit prisons for the more normal, unpowered brand of criminals.

Okay, yeah, I'd forgotten about that. So I suppose it's not unreasonable for there to be a significant number of aliens--still weird that they're all or mostly hanging out in  National City, though.

I'd like to point out that Snapper Carr also holds the distinction of being a villain called the Time Commander. And if he becomes Time Commander, that could solve a LOT of problems for Berlanti.

I can't find a reference to him being Time Commander, just his teleportation powers. Wikipedia says he was in a story with Time Commander, but no mention of him being Time Commander either on his entry or Time Commander's.

If you consider that the aliens on Earth are, for the most part, those who were imprisoned on the Kryptonian prison ship (which was likely for the "harder case" criminals) it's not all that unreasonable that they'd be the more powerful ones.  I expect they would have had on-planet or in-orbit prisons for the more normal, unpowered brand of criminals.

Are all these aliens still supposed to be Ft Roz escapees? All last season, they always made a point of calling them "Ft Roz Prisoner Number Such-And-Such" every time a new one was introduced. The fact that they didn't do that with any of the aliens in the bar, and didn't seem too fussed about recapturing them - or at least evaluating which ones are truly dangerous and which they can let slide - led me to assume these were not former prisoners. But I don't know that they ever said so either way...

That's my question too. I dunno - I'm not saying I'm right here; just that was my impression. Last season the Fort Roz escapees were mostly treated as The Worst Of The Worst, but this season so far has all been Aliens Just Trying To Live Their Lives, so I'm not sure how to reconcile the two. Certainly based on what we've seen Krypton didn't send you to the Phantom Zone for jaywalking, so it seems like Alex should've shown a bit more alarm & concern if everyone in that bar had been an escaped dangerous criminal. And John never made the argument "All these aliens are only here because they're convicted criminals," he just said "Some of them are dangerous." So I feel like something's missing either way.

Well, if they didn't come from Fort Roz, where did they come from? The show certainly hasn't provided an alternate explanation for them.

Yet.  I suspect that the answer will be revealed in the buildup to the big event of the season when it will be revealed that they are all

refugees from worlds conquered by the Dominators who are on their way to conquer Earth

On the comment about all aliens having superpowers, wasn't that what the whole Legion of Super Heroes was based on? Most planets sending a representative, and what would be normal on their planet was considered a power somewhere else?

Not quite. Lightning Lad was a classic "hit with electricity got electrical powers" kind of origin, for example. But for the majority of the membership had "natural" powers. They were usually just among the best of their planet. The Legion wasn't based on the concept thought, it just sort of developed that way.

Not quite. Lightning Lad was a classic "hit with electricity got electrical powers" kind of origin, for example. But for the majority of the membership had "natural" powers. They were usually just among the best of their planet. The Legion wasn't based on the concept thought, it just sort of developed that way.

So in HERO terms basically members of their race but with a higher active point cap and more character points than the average 'person'?

I'm not enjoying this season as much as last and I've been unable to put a finger on it.  Maybe I just got over the show during its hiatus (absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder)? Just not sure. 

Martian Man Hunter is a refuge ,as is Meghan

why can't there be others

you could also have lost explorers ,other dimensional travellers trapped on earth-2, long forgotten races(elf ears)

Well, yes, but that is all purely speculation based on assumptions and interpolation of what we know. However, I wasn't asking for that; I was asking for what we know explicitly, on the possibility that it had been explained but that I just missed or forgot it.

So in HERO terms basically members of their race but with a higher active point cap and more character points than the average 'person'?

I'm not enjoying this season as much as last and I've been unable to put a finger on it.  Maybe I just got over the show during its hiatus (absence doesn't always make the heart grow fonder)? Just not sure. 

I once gave some thought to a League of Superheroes ripoff in which Earth's representative was there because his power was "telling convincing lies".   As for why this season might not be as enjoyable...well Cat Grant is a big loss.  Snapper Carr isn't exactly bringing a lot of charm to the table.  The giant horde of illegal extraterrestrials did kind of come out of nowhere and the preachiness about illegal "aliens" wears on the nerves.  

Regarding M'gann:

So are we now supposed to believe that M'gann is actually a white martian posing as a green martian? Or are we supposed to believe that the real M'gann was taken prisoner and swapped out for the white martian at some point?

Regarding M'gann:

So are we now supposed to believe that M'gann is actually a white martian posing as a green martian? Or are we supposed to believe that the real M'gann was taken prisoner and swapped out for the white martian at some point?

Something like that.