Supergirl

Greywind

I don't think we have to worry about that on this show, and neither does Supergirl. The writers are in complete control over the consequences of every punch, every move-through, and every encounter with her heat vision. If they wished, they could have her use her heat vision on a thug's hands (to disarm him) without maiming him. He would drop his weapon, give a sharp yelp, and maybe wring his hands in pain a little, but this is Supergirl on the CW after all, not Game of Thrones on HBO.

And then the rest of the story could be devoted entirely to lesbian romance!

Supergirl Meets Arrowverse in Four-Way Crossover Teaser — Watch

https://tvline.com/2016/11/10/arrow-the-flash-supergirl-legends-of-tomorrow-crossover-promo-video/

'Arrowverse' Reacts to Supergirl: Sara's Got a Crush, Oliver Keeps His Distance

https://tvline.com/2016/10/15/supergirl-arrow-legends-of-tomorrow-crossover-kara-sara-dig-oliver/

Felicity: “Best. Team. Up. Ever.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=34&v=qQD0FF15zrI

• 2 weeks later...

Arrghh, of all the stupid!!!!  I guessing a Flash showwriter was responsible for this! 

Don't put on the helmet, use your superspeed and knock them all unconsious before they can see you move.

Why blame the Flash show runners? Supergirl's crew has proven inept from the word go.

Also, I wouldn't lay that one on the writers. It's the job of the director to stage the scene. Even if the script did specify that they take Supergirl out of the cage, the director could have still ignored it and set up the scene however he or she wanted. (Of course, it's possible the writer and the director are the same person, but I didn't look it up.)

What I would lay on the writers is the stupidity of fooling the Fortress of Solitude's security system by splashing some blood on Cyber-Hank's hand. So many better ways to handle that. Or maybe they wanted to have continuity of weak Kryptonian security systems with BvS.

Smallville had some good moments and well, some not so good moments. Michael Rosenbaum as Lex Luther was always one of those good moments to me and I would love to see him return as that character some day. It will not happen, I am sure, but it would be great. As far as I am concerned, not one other actor has captured the sort of ruthless efficiency of Lex Luthor as well as Rosenbaum. Maybe somebody in one of the animated shows, but I don't watch those.

Two elements of Rosenbaum's performance as Lex always struck me as uniquely perfect for the character. One was the cocky swagger in his walk, the walk of a man who knew he was always the smartest person in the room. The other was his superb poker face when he was negotiating with or manipulating someone. You could see the wheels turning behind his eyes, but his face betrayed no hint of what he was thinking.

Yep. These superheroes aren't the brightest bulbs in the room.

I can't quite figure out if the writers think Kara has the IQ of a small child, or if they think the audience does.

More likely they assume the audience won't notice or won't care. Setting the bar for audience expectations so incredibly low seems to be a chronic problem for superhero shows on the CW.

Arrghh, of all the stupid!!!!  I guessing a Flash showwriter was responsible for this! 

Don't put on the helmet, use your superspeed and knock them all unconsious before they can see you move.

Dude, this is not something that she can do.  Supergirl has a high enough movement that she can go a long way and still count it as a half move, but she only has a Speed of 3 (4 if you are being generous).  Moreover, she doesn't have Area of Effect on her disarm maneuver or a Drain attack versus  RKAs defined as guns or any other cutesy power that will allow her to disarm everybody any a single phase*.  So, there is just no way for her to disarm everyone before someone fills Mon-el full of lead. 

* Note: I am being completely serious here.  Champions does an amazing job an amazing job replicating the super hero genre, including the parts that on the surface make little sense like you can be a speedster and still only have a Speed of 3 or 4.

Edited by Ranxerox

Dude, this is not something that she can do.  Supergirl has a high enough movement that she can go a long way and still count it as a half move, but she only has a Speed of 3 (4 if you are being generous).  Moreover, she doesn't have Area of Effect on her disarm maneuver or a Drain attack versus  RKAs defined as guns or any other cutesy power that will allow her to disarm everybody any a single phase*.  So, there is just no way for her to disarm everyone before someone fills Mon-el full of lead. 

* Note: I am being completely serious here.  Champions does an amazing job an amazing job replicating the super hero genre, including the parts that on the surface make little sense like you can be a speedster and still only have a Speed of 3 or 4.

She has used her super-speed  on several occasions, she has shown she is capable of deflecting bullets and rays with her heat vision and only one person had a weapon drawn. Stupidity in the cause of plot advancement is still stupidity.

And the giving up powers to prevent violence to a hostage trope is really getting old especially against the ruthless murderers that the CW churns out as villains. 

And in Champions terms, multiple move-byes are pretty effective against normals, especially when you can run fast enough to footrace the Flash.  

And in Champions terms, multiple move-byes are pretty effective against normals, especially when you can run fast enough to footrace the Flash.  

Television writers don't know what a multiple move-by is, except when it helps advance the plot. And then it is immediately forgotten until it is needed again to advance the plot. Wash, rinse, repeat the dumb.

Television writers don't know what a multiple move-by is, except when it helps advance the plot. And then it is immediately forgotten until it is needed again to advance the plot. Wash, rinse, repeat the dumb.

That last was a reply to Ranerox not a comment on the writers. Though I think kidnapping the show writers and making them play RPG's during the off season would greatly improve the shows.

Doesn't that basically describe every single superhero show ever, though?

Well, Supergirl and Flash haven't plumbed the depths of idiocy we witnessed in Heroes...but I'm losing interest in Supergirl because of it. And that's too bad. I love Melissa Benoist and Chyler Leigh, but the idiot plotting is getting harder and harder to overlook.

Doesn't that basically describe every single superhero show ever, though?

To a point, sure. And every TV show period, to some extent. But some shows - and some episodes - are worse than others. A little bit of "I would've done ____" is to be expected and tolerated. But when I can think of 10 different ways out of a given scene during the scene, then it starts to seriously interfere with my enjoyment of the show.

Actually my biggest complaint with this week's episode was that they tried to cram too many reveals into one episode, which undercut their impact.

While not completely immune, the various Netflix MCU series don't really suffer much from this affliction. It isn't the medium, it is the people in charge. Broadcast networks still have a certain ingrained attitude towards superheroes that Marvel, on the whole, does not.

The MCU series don't suffer from the kind of power bloat that makes it unbelievable that Supergirl or the Flash could be handled.

While not completely immune, the various Netflix MCU series don't really suffer much from this affliction. It isn't the medium, it is the people in charge. Broadcast networks still have a certain ingrained attitude towards superheroes that Marvel, on the whole, does not.

I agree about the Netflix shows. But it's also worth noting they have the luxury of writing and filming an entire 13-episode season all at once, and nothing airs until the whole thing is finished. I've read about what writing a weekly 22-episode TV series is like, and it's pretty brutal. Straczynski once compared it to sitting in a coffee shop writing madly and as you finish each page you tape it up to the window where everyone can read it, and you're required to post a certain number of pages per hour, good bad or indifferent, and there's no changing anything you wrote earlier because it's already up on the window for everyone to see. With the added bonus that after you post each page other people come along and mark them up (based on things like budget, actor availability, or just whim) and it doesn't matter if that scene was supposed to set something up for next week it got changed and now you have to adapt and you've got 10 minutes until deadline...

Not making excuses, but it is partly the medium. There's a reason why so much episodic TV is so formulaic and kinda mediocre; TV is really the only art medium that demands that kind of creativity on that kind of schedule.