Supergirl

Greywind

Catching all 4 shows today. Apparently Ray fixed his suit already. Last we saw, it still didn't work and he was just a scientist on the team trying to find another ability. Cisco thinks it should be upgraded.

They got ahold of some Dwarf Star Alloy an episode or two ago, which he was able to use to make a new suit. I *think* I heard a quick throwaway line expositionizing that. But yeah, for something that was a plot point for multiple episodes, you woulda thought the Reveal would've been a bigger deal.

Oh dear, let's not pollute the Supergirl thread with LoT talk. That show is beyond dreadful. My eyes are still in pain from all the rolling they did while watching the fourth part of the crossover event. I think the CW puts all their interns on that writing team, and promotes the ones that prove they can write beyond an 8th grade level to Flash and Arrow.

Given that most of your posts on this thread are complaining about bad writing on Supergirl, I figured you'd enjoy adding something else to bitch about. :winkgrin:

In general, I agree about the writing on LoT, which is why I've mostly stopped watching it. But I thought this one was okay, way less eye-rolling than the average LoT episode, and not noticeably worse than the Arrow & Flash Invasion eps. The teleplay credits for the LoT Invasion script are two of the show-runners: Marc Guggenheim, who's one of the main writers on Arrow and has also written for Daredevil, Jessica Jones and 15+ years of other TV shows; and Phil Klemmer, who wrote for Veronica Mars and Chuck, and has also been at it for 10+ years. Not exactly interns.

Then somewhere along the way they forgot how to write character dialogue. Between the dialogue and the directing, there was absolutely zero nuance in any performance. It was like the level of a Saturday morning cartoon. Just because these are superheroes doesn't mean they have to talk and act like the Super Friends.

The level of writing on Supergirl, while not top-notch in all areas, is still lightyears ahead of LoT. The way Alex Danvers has been written lately is Emmy award-winning, IMO, compared to anything I saw in this last episode of LoT.

Of course, we get two attractive, feminine lesbians, to help us digest the added diversity. I'd love for a show to actually have at least one butch lesbian in their token couple. When that happens, I'll believe the goals of diversity are genuine rather than an attempt to boost flagging ratings. (The Walking Dead and some other shows have had at least some more average-looking ladies in their pairings, and seem more genuine about just portraying an average, mixed group of people, rather than going for ratings and/or titillation.)

I don't know that I'd equate feminine to attractive and butch to unattractive. Alex is played by an attractive actress, but I don't think she's particularly feminine in dress or behavior. If anything the hard-drinking badass LEO/authority figure is more a masculine trope.

I wasn't getting at the attractiveness angle so much as TV not really pushing people out of their comfort zones. Sugar coating things, as it were.

Understood.

By the same token, I think we should acknowledge that when tv execs put lesbians on screen the overwhelming tendency is to put "lipstick lesbians" on screen. We can euphemistically call it "being sensitive to comfort zones," but most outside observers understand the primary driving force there: ratings are higher when female actors are attractive, especially when their characters are lesbians. This is largely due to what men find attractive.

Of course, this is slowly changing. It is changing mostly on the premium cable/streaming networks where traditional advertising-driven ratings aren't as important to a show's success, but the trickle-down effect eventually seeps into network television as well. Still, I don't see the CW putting very many butch lesbians in their shows any time soon, no matter how many diversity points they could score with disenfranchised viewers and SJWs.