Supergirl

Greywind

Kara and the others had to deliberately ignore a number of other suspicious (and alarming) coincidences in order to maintain their attitude. But like I said, family is sacrosanct on the CW, and so I understand Kara and Alex being written as shutting off their brains. But I don't feel that Jhon's loyalty to the man would so thoroughly override his responsibilities at the DEO and block every Martian instinct he has (e.g., to mindscan someone who easily could have been substituted with an android, or subjected to some other form of coercion by CADMUS).

Yeah, even if they assume he's a freed captive (even if he stayed for a while voluntarily to be a mole), you'd think--especially after he mentioned being TORTURED--they'd give him a thorough medical exam. Especially given that he claims his hand is damaged as a result. How do you miss a freaking robot arm? And did they not search him (Cadmus might have bugged him so they could track his location) and thus not find the amazing data-sucking stick-on?

I'm willing to cut the writers a fair amount of slack because I like superhero shows, and Supergirl (and Melissa Benoist in particular). But that only goes so far.

Plus, I'm bored stiff by her "romance" with Mon-El. I wasn't a big fan of Kara/James...but the way they had her toss him aside after a season of pining for him* to clear the decks for a romance with Mon-El rubbed me the wrong way. Quite aside from the appearance (I can't say for sure, since I don't read minds) of wanting to dump the black guy for a white lead, he's boring. He's a classic douche-y, entitled, irresponsible fratbro (possibly with a heart of gold, possibly not). Meanwhile James is out risking his life every night trying to be a hero, and he's more entertaining too.

Plus plus, I'm tired of them not writing Kara as strong as she ought to be. Apparently, anyone with any level of superhuman strength is a match for her in a fight. Which is absurd. It should be Superman (he's just bigger), Supergirl...and then well below them, the vast majority of supers and aliens. And...gah. The myriad ways in which they fail to make use of her abilities drives me nuts. But then, I'm a Champions gamer so of course I feel that way. I'm also a writer, however, and it's not impossible to write her more effectively and still produce interesting stories. It just takes more work.

*Yes, that was on another network, but still....

Compared to the other CW shows, though, Supergirl is akin to Shakespeare.

Well, Shakespeare wrote for the common man, not necessary the educated man.

I guess the CW shows could just show all their female characters dressing up as guys, with no one ever noticing. That was a Shakespearian trope, after all.

His knowledge of history tended to adapt to the side of any conflict the prevailing rulers favoured, so ignoring fact for fantasy must be OK.

And as long as we keep the angst down to Hamlet levels, it must be OK as well, right?

Is it the hip thing now to reject Shakespeare as some of the greatest literature in the English language? Whatever.

I know how you feel sinanju, I too am frustrated by the generally low quality of writing for nearly all superhero shows. The prevailing wisdom in Hollywood seems to be that the audience for these shows isn't discerning enough to notice or care, so why should they spend the money on finding good writers? It may even be true for the most part; after all, we here in these forums are a tiny, tiny minority, and spending money to raise the level of writing to impress us simply doesn't make any economic sense.

At least Supergirl has writing that isn't atrocious (unlike the other CW superhero shows), a terrific cast (especially its lead actress), and a generally cheerful and optimistic outlook.

At least Supergirl has writing that isn't atrocious (unlike the other CW superhero shows), a terrific cast (especially its lead actress), and a generally cheerful and optimistic outlook.

I'll go along with two out of three of those. The writing isn't substantially better than any of the other CW super shows, though.

Is it the hip thing now to reject Shakespeare as some of the greatest literature in the English language? Whatever.

Not sure I've ever been part of the "hip thing", but thanks for assuming I might be.

The point of the post, however, is that you seem to be holding present day writers to a much higher standard. Is Arrow less angst-filled, say by the Act, than Hamlet?

Are modern day tropes and willful audience blindness more an "idiot ball" than the utter inability of any character in a Shakespeare play to perceive a woman disguised as a man?

Bazza made the very fair point that Shakespeare wasn't trying to pen great literature which would be dissected centuries later - he was trying to pay the rent and put food on the table. His plays were the mass media entertainment of his time, like comic books and TV shows today.

I admit, I'm not a regular watcher of any of the super television programs. I tend to take them on an occasional, per-episode basis, when the advertising for one makes it sound interesting to me. I think that makes it easier for me to enjoy what they do well, and not get too bent out of shape when the stoopid ball lands too hard.

Plus plus, I'm tired of them not writing Kara as strong as she ought to be. Apparently, anyone with any level of superhuman strength is a match for her in a fight. Which is absurd. It should be Superman (he's just bigger), Supergirl...and then well below them, the vast majority of supers and aliens. And...gah. The myriad ways in which they fail to make use of her abilities drives me nuts. But then, I'm a Champions gamer so of course I feel that way. I'm also a writer, however, and it's not impossible to write her more effectively and still produce interesting stories. It just takes more work.

Yeah, it was telling how vast a power differential she had to all the other shows' characters in the crossover, where they had her operating at what seemed like full potential (yet still given dramatic challenges via mind-controlling aliens—see, it can be done!) in marked contrast to how ineffectual she is on her own show. What's weird is they apparently laid out quite a bit of cash for the CGI and collateral set damage of the J'onn J'onzz vs. Miss Martian fight, while Supergirl's fights tend to be staged and filmed as if they're in a community theatre production.

It was actually quite amusing to see Kara just floating there grinning while everyone else's attacks bounced off her. But the whole crew wasn't there at the time. Still, if that was supposed to be a training exercise to develop team work, they really should have been trying to set some tactics, not just pile on her like kids in a schoolyard.

Yeah, it was telling how vast a power differential she had to all the other shows' characters in the crossover, where they had her operating at what seemed like full potential (yet still given dramatic challenges via mind-controlling aliens—see, it can be done!) in marked contrast to how ineffectual she is on her own show. What's weird is they apparently laid out quite a bit of cash for the CGI and collateral set damage of the J'onn J'onzz vs. Miss Martian fight, while Supergirl's fights tend to be staged and filmed as if they're in a community theatre production.

While I'm not a fan of Mr. Mxylptlk (either the original or the one Supergirl faced), I think that episode did show us that it's possible to challenge Supergirl without nerfing her powers. She might have been physically superior to Mxy, but of course he can teleport and change reality, so it's not like she could beat him up. Or if she did that it would make any difference. She had to find a way to beat him mentally. So her powers didn't have to be arbitrarily reduced to make him a threat. Let's see more characters whose powers are at 90 degrees to hers. A teleporter (like Livewire) is good; until and unless she can land a solid punch, they can always get away. Mentalists--even if they can't affect Supergirl every time, if they can threaten innocents, they can easily get her over a barrel. Or someone who can walk thru walls--unless she's prepared to do tremendous collateral damage, they can almost always get away eventually.

I want to see her be SUPER...and still have opponents who make life difficult for her.

Still, if that was supposed to be a training exercise to develop team work, they really should have been trying to set some tactics, not just pile on her like kids in a schoolyard.

Indeed. When faced with a single target, heroes/villains in these superhero shows need to learn to coordinate (simultaneous) attacks rather than attack one at a time like they always do. Dumba**es.

Throw enough Mental Illusion dice at someone without Mental Defenses, the Illusion could last a very long time. It took this Music Master several seconds to completely enthrall Kara and Barry, so his power might have been Cumulative.

Whatever he is, he talks like he's omnipotent, but he needed technology to get between dimensions. He pretends to be a well-intentioned meddler, but he's not above hurting people who cross him. I have to say, I didn't like him or find him interesting. We have Mr. Myxyzptlk, we don't need another godlike buffoon with an attitude. I hope he doesn't come back, or if he does that someone promptly kicks his ass.