Supergirl

Greywind

8 hours ago, zslane said:

One thing that made no sense to me was how Coville knew the lore behind Reign after researching Kryptonian culture for "months" (his words) using only those resources available on Earth, whereas Hologram Alura Zor-El knew virtually nothing despite having access to the complete historical and cultural corpus of dozens of alien worlds (including her own). That was just plain dumb.

In fairness:

1)  He said he talked to people who had been on Fort Roz, including a disgraced Kryptonian priestess.

2)  Did he really give any specifics, apart from "Worldkiller" and the word "reign" (though you'll note he doesn't say it as a name)?  Overall, what he said sounds a lot like the vague "prophecies" of a con man or the semi-deranged:  full of spooky generalities that let the listener do the work of filling in details to fit his narrative.  Heck, it's almost like he's a cult leader.  :winkgrin:

Here's what he said, with Kara's responses and questions removed.

They will receive a blasphemous sygil.  And in its wake many cowards and killers and vile men will burn.  And every eye will look upon the heretic, and they will call it... Worldkiller.  Kara Danvers, there is so much that you still don't know.

It's here, the end of days.  The prophecy I speak of predates the Book of Rao.  But I suspect you already know this, if you've tried to find the meaning of the Kryptonian symbol that's all over the news.  They are the mark of a dark god.  A devil. 

You know that I spent two years on a pilgrimage all over the world, collecting artifacts and texts learning everything I could about Rao, and your people.  But I didn't just find objects.  I met people.  The forgotten, from Fort Roz.  I met a disgraced Kryptonian priestess who told me of a god before Rao.  A Lilith, made of darkness, and teeth.  Who ends everything.

There are three steps leading to the end of the days.  The first is the mark of the beast.  They're all over National City now.  After that comes the work of the beast, in the form of many deaths.  And finally comes the reign of the beast.  And this is when she comes.

Worldkiller, the one who will bring about the end of times.  This is your purpose: to fight the devil.

The lost gods must fall for a new god to rise.  And her rise will come at the fall of the righteous.  And she will reign unless you stand and smite her.

Heck, if a disgraced priestess knew of and told him just the word "Worldkiller," and he watched the news and saw the symbol (in the same shield shape as Superman's and Supergirl's "S"), the rest could have easily come from his fevered mind.  Heck, he could be pretty sure that somebody named "Worldkiller" wasn't going to be handing out free candy and puppies.

Colville seems to be quoting from ancient, long forgotten Kryptonian scripture. He wasn't just given a word here and there, he was given the entire mythos, presumably from this disgraced priestess. A priestess who must have been from the same super secret underground cult that sent Reign off Krypton, and was imprisoned on Fort Roz for heresy.

But then the next question becomes, how did he get access to Fort Roz, with enough visitation time with this priestess to have learned all that he did? And why in the world would she have said anything at all to him? None of this makes any sense regardless of how you slice it.

9 hours ago, zslane said:

Colville seems to be quoting from ancient, long forgotten Kryptonian scripture. He wasn't just given a word here and there, he was given the entire mythos, presumably from this disgraced priestess. A priestess who must have been from the same super secret underground cult that sent Reign off Krypton, and was imprisoned on Fort Roz for heresy.

But then the next question becomes, how did he get access to Fort Roz, with enough visitation time with this priestess to have learned all that he did? And why in the world would she have said anything at all to him? None of this makes any sense regardless of how you slice it.

My point was, "seems to be quoting."  It's not like he's citing chapter and verse.  But since it sounds like a quote, that lends (false) validity to what he says. 

I'm not saying that's positively the case.  But given that's how cult-type people work, I can see that being a possibility. 

Alternately, it's also possible that he is quoting chapter and verse from the disgraced priestess.

As to Colville having access to Fort Rozz, who says he did?  What's visitation have to do with it?  :think:  IIRC, didn't Fort Rozz crash on Earth?  Weren't there a slew of Fort Rozz escapees running around loose?  I mean, wasn't that the freaking premise of season one?

Finally, regarding a disgraced priestess speaking to him:  when presented with someone who not only is willing, but eager to listen to what she had to say, especially after most Kryptonians had most likely dismissed anything she had to say in the past... I'd imagine he'd have had a hard time getting her to shut up once he got her started.  Have you ever walked across a college campus or city park and seen some crazy "preaching to the masses"?  Heck, look at people posting their wacko pet theories on the internet.  People love to be heard.

I'm not saying it makes perfect sense.  But it's certainly not the most unrealistic explanation (especially considering it's a CW show).

I just think the whole "I met a disgraced priestess" bit is a little too convenient to the plot, and not substantiated by anything actually shown in any episode. It requires us to imagine too many pieces and stitch them together ourselves out of whole cloth to make that work (for me).

The problem here is that the Colville character is (repeatedly) being used to serve plot needs, but he hasn't been sufficiently developed, IMO, to earn believability in many areas (like his knowledge). He has extraordinary levels of KS: Kryptonian History, KS: Kryptonian Culture, KS: Kryptonian Religion, which in my book require extraordinary levels of explanation/development not adequately provided so far.

But I do agree that your analysis is not unreasonable given the relatively low standard of world-building and plot coherency we hold CW shows to.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

The problem here is that the Colville character is (repeatedly) being used to serve plot needs, but he hasn't been sufficiently developed, IMO, to earn believability in many areas (like his knowledge). He has extraordinary levels of KS: Kryptonian History, KS: Kryptonian Culture, KS: Kryptonian Religion, which in my book require extraordinary levels of explanation/development not adequately provided so far.

I agree. Once we get past this, the story makes a kind of sense. But I'm always left wondering how this guy even had the resources or skills to pursue all of this Kryptonian knowledge in the first place. Perhaps they'll flesh him out more later, but being CW I doubt it.

I wish they had, after the first symbol appeared and hololara had no real answer we had seen SOMEONE think, hey who do we know that isn't kryptonian, but comes from a sister world. Maybe that person's culture would remember something about these pre-kryptonians. I realize that late in the episode, they did show Phantom Girl offer to do some research about it, so they had asked, but they could have just shown Winn or someone ask if Mon-El had ever seen anything like this.

56 minutes ago, slikmar said:

I realized later I put that wrong. Mainly because, to me, Saturn girl is a blonde with curly hair and Phantom Girl would be the darker looking female. Thanks for the correction.

That would be too much of replace Kara with a new model.

• 1 month later...

I liked the episode too. Reign's costume, while a little goofy, does a good job of disguising that it is Samantha underneath it all.

Maybe I was imagining things, but Melissa Benoist looked to me like she was early in her first trimester of pregnancy or something. I only say this because she has always been conspicuously thin and fit (made obvious by her typical work attire this season), and in this episode she was looking, um, fuller around the face and other areas of her body. Plus, loose, baggy clothing is usually a dead giveaway that production is trying to hide an actress' pregnancy. I tried to see if it was detectable when she was dressed as Supergirl, but I couldn't quite tell. I guess we'll know for sure if she goes back to work (at CatCo) next episode.

22 hours ago, Cassandra said:

I have to say Reign's costume is giving me Black Scorpion flashbacks.

That's what it was reminding me of! I couldn't quite put my finger on it! Tho fortunately (my childhood crush on Joan Severance notwithstanding) Annable is both a better actress, and a much more convincing athlete. (And/or has better stunt double and better fight choreography.)

And Brany's hair didn't bug me so much as his makeup job. I'm sure it was done that way on purpose, but to me the uneven coloration just made it look like...well, a bad makeup job.

On 1/16/2018 at 1:56 PM, Cassandra said:

Good episode last night undercut by Brainiac 5's "Albert Einstein" hair.

Well, pretty much Brainiac 5's "everything".  (Hair, color, costume, forehead buttons, spastic behavior - I was left with the impression that whoever developed the character for the show had never looked at a LSH comic and based everything on the 2006 cartoon).

Alas, another LSH opportunity lost.

Braniac 5 and Braniac 8 are both portrayed as blue in the cartoons, which as you pointed out, is probably where they drew the designs from for Supergirl. I suspect they figure more viewers know the cartoon version than know the comics version.

I didn't mind Brainy's color; it just looked patchy to me. But that's a minor nitpick in my book. (Hmm...I wonder if they avoided making him green because it interacts poorly with the green screen?)

I will admit being a little disappointed with the costumes. Not because I have any particular affection for the original comics; let's face it, everything about the original LSH was goofy as hell even by Silver-Age standards. But if ever there was an opportunity to go completely nuts in the costuming department, surely a team of superheroes from the 31st Century is that opportunity; and they went with... X-Men black leather?

I was a little underwhelmed by their big fight scene too. I get that that the Legionnaires were way out of their weight class. And I'm sure the show blew half their sfx budget for the season in the previous episode. But still. After all the build-up, Saturn Girl gets in one (ineffective) attack, Mon-El gets to run 10 feet, and Braniac just plays spaceship gunner. Bit of an anticlimax, especially after the DEO did reasonably well in their own fight.

Edited by bigdamnhero
Edit: Sorry, that last para was supposed to be spoilerized, not quoted. Oh well.

On January 17, 2018 at 10:13 AM, bigdamnhero said:

That's what it was reminding me of! I couldn't quite put my finger on it! Tho fortunately (my childhood crush on Joan Severance notwithstanding) Annable is both a better actress, and a much more convincing athlete. (And/or has better stunt double and better fight choreography.)

And Brany's hair didn't bug me so much as his makeup job. I'm sure it was done that way on purpose, but to me the uneven coloration just made it look like...well, a bad makeup job.

I wish Michelle Lintel was still working.

And Jacqueline Collen for that matter.