Supergirl

Greywind

Bouncing signals off of Voyager (to reach the Legion ship) would have been useless. The closest star to Earth (apart from Sol) is more than 4 light years away. The blue man-killing star would have to have been even further away than that, making even a one-way trip for a communications signal several years, at least. Even if the Legion ship and Reign's "pod" can go FTL or fly through hyperspace, AFAIK the DEO doesn't have the tech to send communication signals that way. If they did, they wouldn't even need Voyager.

But hey, any episode where I get to watch Supergirl and Saturn Girl work together gets a thumbs up from me.

22 minutes ago, zslane said:

That might help make Incredibly Cute Girl into a Saturn Girl that is actually useful.

Like telekinesis isn't useful? 

I had an idea that the Black Lightning TV series could take place in the "Super-Verse"--which would not only allow an episode where Superman could make an appearance, but an episode where Black Lightning could fight Livewire, as I've always thought that the best super-fights are between adversaries with similar powers.

Guess that last one won't happen now.  :no:

38 minutes ago, wcw43921 said:

Like telekinesis isn't useful? 

I had an idea that the Black Lightning TV series could take place in the "Super-Verse"--which would not only allow an episode where Superman could make an appearance, but an episode where Black Lightning could fight Livewire, as I've always thought that the best super-fights are between adversaries with similar powers.

Guess that last one won't happen now.  :no:

Unless it's a different Earth.

A few Supergirl Easter Eggs.

1. Helen Slater as her adopted mom.   (Supergirl in the 1985 movie)

2. Dean Cain as her adopted dad.  (Superman on Lois and Clark)

3. Erica Durance as her mom (this season).  (Lois Lane on Smallville)

4. She saved the Otto Binder Bridge.  (Otto Binder created Supergirl, along with Mary Marvel, and Timely/Marvel's Miss America)

5. The Master Jailer captured her.  (Master Jailer appeared in four issues of Superman Family)

6. Erica Durance played FBI Noell Neill.  (Noell Neill was Lois Lane in the Superman Serials, and most of The Adventures of Superman).

7 hours ago, zslane said:

Bouncing signals off of Voyager (to reach the Legion ship) would have been useless. The closest star to Earth (apart from Sol) is more than 4 light years away. The blue man-killing star would have to have been even further away than that, making even a one-way trip for a communications signal several years, at least. Even if the Legion ship and Reign's "pod" can go FTL or fly through hyperspace, AFAIK the DEO doesn't have the tech to send communication signals that way. If they did, they wouldn't even need Voyager.

But hey, any episode where I get to watch Supergirl and Saturn Girl work together gets a thumbs up from me.

I know better than to expect plausible technobabble from this show (or Flash, or well, any show really) but last night's episode took scientific stupidity to new heights. Blue stars emit radiation of a very weird, specific kind that only affects Y chromosomes! Amazing!

The DEO can bounce FTL signals off the Voyager probe in order to communicate with the Legion ship countless lightyears away.

Stars do not have EVENT HORIZONS. They have a surface, which is what I assume they meant. Black holes have event horizons, where the speed of light is insufficient to escape the pull of its gravity.

Supergirl really IS stronger than Superman. She was able throw a ginormous orbital fortress at FTL speeds into ANOTHER SOLAR SYSTEM lightyears from earth. Without killing everyone aboard from the titanic G forces.

Speaking of titanic G forces. That blue star solar flare also knocked the fortress out of it's stable orbit...by .003 AU. An AU (Astronomical Unit) is the distance from earth to the sun, or 93,000,000 miles. Which means the fortress was *instantly* shoved 279,000 miles from its initial position. How is it still intact? How is every aboard it not turned into jelly on the walls?

All that said, I enjoyed a lot of the episode. I've always been a fan of Livewire. I like the actress, I like the character. I thought she was exactly the sort of antagonist Kara needs more of--with superpowers different from hers, which make her hard to deal with, so she has to be clever, instead of having just another punch-out. I'm seriously bummed that they killed her.

13 hours ago, sinanju said:

She was able throw a ginormous orbital fortress at FTL speeds into ANOTHER SOLAR SYSTEM lightyears from earth. Without killing everyone aboard from the titanic G forces.

Yeah, I thought about that too. The only explanation I can come up with is that Fort Rozz passed through a freak wormhole and ended up in that blue star orbit. The question then becomes, how could the DEO possibly determine/track its new location? That requires a signal to reach Earth from the prison many light years away, which presupposes an ansible transmitter on Fort Rozz and an ansible receiver at the DEO. And if that's the case, then the whole Voyager gimmick is made even more unnecessary.

27 minutes ago, zslane said:

Yeah, I thought about that too. The only explanation I can come up with is that Fort Rozz passed through a freak wormhole and ended up in that blue star orbit. The question then becomes, how could the DEO possibly determine/track its new location? That requires a signal to reach Earth from the prison many light years away, which presupposes an ansible transmitter on Fort Rozz and an ansible receiver at the DEO. And if that's the case, then the whole Voyager gimmick is made even more unnecessary.

Supergirl through Fort Rozz through a wormhole and the DEO was able to track it through sub-space.

Yes, that tracks.

1 hour ago, Cassandra said:

Supergirl through Fort Rozz through a wormhole...

Well, I wasn't imagining that she threw it through a wormhole on purpose (she'd have to know where one was for starters). I was merely suggesting that at some point in its year-long-plus journey in space it passed through one unexpectedly.

18 minutes ago, zslane said:

Well, I wasn't imagining that she threw it through a wormhole on purpose (she'd have to know where one was for starters). I was merely suggesting that at some point in its year-long-plus journey in space it passed through one unexpectedly.

Sometimes coincidence is more then a cheap plot devise.

The downside of Monday's episode was the disappointing lack of Saturn Girl.

Actually, the bigger issue for me is the relationship they are trying to build between Lena and James. It is interfering with quality Lena/Kara time. Lena and Kara have more chemistry with each other than either of them have (or ever had) with James or Mon-El.

18 hours ago, zslane said:

The downside of Monday's episode was the disappointing lack of Saturn Girl.

Actually, the bigger issue for me is the relationship they are trying to build between Lena and James. It is interfering with quality Lena/Kara time. Lena and Kara have more chemistry with each other than either of them have (or ever had) with James or Mon-El.

I wouldn't mind if Kara and Lena were a couple.

7 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

I wouldn't mind if Kara and Lena were a couple.

I wouldn't mind either, but the CW already played their Lesbian Couple card with Alex (and Maggie), and we both know they aren't going to double down on that play. Besides, Supergirl is deemed too wholesome to be gay, even in 2018.

3 minutes ago, zslane said:

I wouldn't mind either, but the CW already played their Lesbian Couple card with Alex (and Maggie), and we both know they aren't going to double down on that play. Besides, Supergirl is deemed too wholesome to be gay, even in 2018.

And Alex and Sara at the wedding.

I think Supergirl looks like Lana Turner.