Supergirl

Greywind

2 hours ago, zslane said:

Isn't this villain guy who is ordering the Graves around just a temporary villain? Presumably the real villain of the season is/will be Red Supergirl.

Agent Liberty is an Evil version of Captain America in the DC Universe.  Like the one who was a Hydra Member.

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 7:51 AM, Pattern Ghost said:

Watched the latest episode tonight. I was less wondering about her having to hold her breath, than her inability to break out of something that a giant toy dinosaur could break with an accidental swipe of the tip of its tail. A toy dino that Mon El could wreck handily. The writers just wanted Kara trapped in that thing for a couple minutes, and weren't going to let logic get in their way.

a superhero's powers are only as good as the special effects used to simulate them

On 4/18/2018 at 2:07 PM, Cassandra said:

She needs to breathe.  The Toyman nearly killed her with quicksand when he showed up in season one.

After she stood on a trap door.  Come on, Kara, uses your X-ray vision!

Or, failing that, maybe flight? If you can fly fast enough to break orbit I don't think rising above some quicksand should be all that big a challenge...

5 hours ago, Matt the Bruins said:

Or, failing that, maybe flight? If you can fly fast enough to break orbit I don't think rising above some quicksand should be all that big a challenge...

To be fair she needs to push herself into the sky to activate her flight.  Which is why she couldn't get out of the quicksand or escape from the plastic bag.

Clearly she has Gestures (-1/4) for Flight.

It's possible. However, the Hollywood creative machine is generally very liberal, and so whenever a show presents a far-right position as somehow appealing or sympathetic, it us usually meant to be subversive in some way (Alec Baldwin's Jack Donaghy being a prime example). Given that this show ultimately wants Supergirl's ethos to be a reflection of American values at their finest, I doubt Agent Liberty's point of view will remain appealing or sympathetic for long.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

It's possible. However, the Hollywood creative machine is generally very liberal, and so whenever a show presents a far-right position as somehow appealing or sympathetic, it us usually meant to be subversive in some way (Alec Baldwin's Jack Donaghy being a prime example). Given that this show ultimately wants Supergirl's ethos to be a reflection of American values at their finest, I doubt Agent Liberty's point of view will remain appealing or sympathetic for long.

Maybe I got spoiled by Damian Darke on Legends.  He was a second rate villain in the comics but Neal McDonough an interesting character who actually experienced real growth and was hilarious.  Jack Donaghy was a great character on 30 Rock and Baldwin as an actor seems to miss what his character is saying as long as he gets paid (Path To War being a huge example.)

The writers are trying to show how even good men can become radicalized when the right pressures are applied. We are meant to sympathize with Benjamin's plight, not his "solution".

Solving the problem of terrorism first requires that we understand the process by which terrorists are created, because they were once decent people too (even if only as very young children). I think that's what the "Man of Steel" episode was trying to do; to give an insight into the mechanisms of radicalization and the often tragic results of the law of unintended consequences.

8 minutes ago, zslane said:

The writers are trying to show how even good men can become radicalized when the right pressures are applied. We are meant to sympathize with Benjamin's plight, not his "solution".

Solving the problem of terrorism first requires that we understand the process by which terrorists are created, because they were once decent people too (even if only as very young children). I think that's what the "Man of Steel" episode was trying to do; to give an insight into the mechanisms of radicalization and the often tragic results of the law of unintended consequences.

I think the Man of Steel they were thinking of was Stalin.

Regarding last night's Supergirl we see that the Iron Man helmet effects are pretty common now.  I think she was in the armor so she could shoot her scenes for the crossover. 

Nice call back on past villains but we just lost the two most interesting ones and replaced them with a Football Hooligan.

22 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

Iron Man helmet effects are pretty common now.

For which I am grateful. Iron Man showed how to handle putting your star actor into a powered armor suit without losing the ability to show his facial expressions inside the helmet. This development should have led to a proper adaptation of Starship Troopers, but it seems Verhoeven's version has poisoned the well for that IP forever.

30 minutes ago, zslane said:

For which I am grateful. Iron Man showed how to handle putting your star actor into a powered armor suit without losing the ability to show his facial expressions inside the helmet. This development should have led to a proper adaptation of Starship Troopers, but it seems Verhoeven's version has poisoned the well for that IP forever.

They had the Marauder Armor in Starship Troopers 3.  Great movie.

On 10/29/2018 at 6:49 PM, Cassandra said:

I'm concerned about the writers after last nights episodes.   It seems they have sympathy for Agent Liberty's point of view.

I wondered about that myself. 

If you are attempting to paint immigration in a good light having a montage about how many times aliens have nearly destroyed or enslaved you isn't going to do it. 

I think if I lived in this particular universe I would be totally fine spreading krytonite throughout the atmosphere. Or anything else to make the place less attractive to dangerous aliens :(