Supergirl

Greywind

That's what the original Crisis on Infinite Earths comic series did, to try to simplify the chaotic DC multiverse. But multiple Earths seems to be DC's opioid -- they just can't say no. They could probably get away with it for all the CW shows -- it's a much smaller cast of characters. But with inter-dimensional travel so well-established and easy in that universe, I don't think conflating the Earths is necessary, or even desirable. Might be fun as a temporary development during a crossover, though.

• 5 weeks later...

Two things about last nights episode.

1. Why were her parents seemingly in their 80s.  Let's say Nia is 25 years old, so it would reasonable for her parents to be between 43 and 53 years of age.

2. Where did that poisonous Spider Come From?  How many people are killed by Poisonous Spiders in the middle of their living rooms?  What is this, Kingdom of the Spiders?  And even in that movie Shatner got bit a dozen times and it didn't stop him from over acting.

1. Without any information on (Arrowverse) Naltorian biology, I don't think we can draw any conclusions about how old the mother should look compared to human women.

2. The deadly spider thing was just plain odd, I agree.

I also thought that the whole "the town was very supportive of my transgender identity as a child" bit was heavy-handed, irrelevant (to the plot), and too obviously intended as an instance of the WB giving Nicole Maines an "how her life should have been" moment. And I say this as a fan of both the character and the actress.

On 12/24/2018 at 10:24 AM, Lord Liaden said:

That's what the original Crisis on Infinite Earths comic series did, to try to simplify the chaotic DC multiverse. But multiple Earths seems to be DC's opioid -- they just can't say no. They could probably get away with it for all the CW shows -- it's a much smaller cast of characters. But with inter-dimensional travel so well-established and easy in that universe, I don't think conflating the Earths is necessary, or even desirable. Might be fun as a temporary development during a crossover, though.

I could see them taking a partial approach. A crisis where you end up some worlds, some merged, but still have a multiverse. For example, they might see an advantage to merging Supergirl's earth with the earth of Flash, Green Arrow, Legends, and Batwoman. As for Black Lightning, I'm not sure it will brought into the fold at all. After all, Supergirl was still in its first season and on another network when they crossed it over with Flash. Black Lightning is in its second season on the same network and I haven't heard a peep about possible crossovers. Also, Black Lightning is produced in Atlanta, which is a long way from Vancouver and the rest of the DC shows on the CW

On 2/4/2019 at 4:27 PM, rjcurrie said:

I could see them taking a partial approach. A crisis where you end up some worlds, some merged, but still have a multiverse. For example, they might see an advantage to merging Supergirl's earth with the earth of Flash, Green Arrow, Legends, and Batwoman. As for Black Lightning, I'm not sure it will brought into the fold at all. After all, Supergirl was still in its first season and on another network when they crossed it over with Flash. Black Lightning is in its second season on the same network and I haven't heard a peep about possible crossovers. Also, Black Lightning is produced in Atlanta, which is a long way from Vancouver and the rest of the DC shows on the CW

There’s really not much I’ve seen in Black Lightning that makes it explicitly NOT on the same world as either Supergirl or Arrow if the producers ever decided they wanted to roll it in.  It would not be much of a stretch to simply assume that his fame has not really spread much beyond the city he operates in (and that the local news doesn’t say a whole lot about that looney with the bow in Star City).

On 2/5/2019 at 5:16 PM, John Desmarais said:

There’s really not much I’ve seen in Black Lightning that makes it explicitly NOT on the same world as either Supergirl or Arrow if the producers ever decided they wanted to roll it in.

If you're going by in show references, then Flash/Arrowverse is ruled out by the Supergirl reference if you consider it a reference to a person and not a fictional character.* However, the showrunner has said:

“We are in our own world,” Akil tells EW. “We’re not in the Arrowverse. We’re not in the 

Supergirl universe. We’re in the Black Lightning universe. If there’s ever a crossover, Supergirl will come to Freeland, or Green Arrow will come to Freeland.”

and

In fact, those “fun” references to other DC Comics heroes were just that — fun references. “We mentioned those other characters just to have fun,” says Akil. “I thought it was just fun to tease the fans and have fun with the fans. We’re always trying to have a conversation with the fans and we’re also trying to have fun with them, so that was part of that.”

Quotes from this article.

*Grace had an Outsiders comic in her hip pocket when we first saw her, so BL does have DC comics in it. The Supergirl and Vixen reference could have been to comic characters. Interestingly, Earth 1 seems to have Marvel comics, but I don't remember any DC comics references.

14 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

“I thought it was just fun to tease the fans and have fun with the fans.

I don't think Akil understands that the fans don't find these teases very much fun if they don't serve as genuine connections between the shows. This kind of fan service is ultimately pointless because it doesn't have any kind of concrete payoff. This is especially true given we're talking about a network of shows that cross over with each other annually now.

• 1 month later...

Finally, a proper villain.  Jon Cryer did a good job as Lex, and bringing back Otis was a great idea.  How did they do it?  Who cares?  I figured Eve was the one who shot James and it's nice that Lex but the band back together.  The final music during Lex's escape was also at the beginning of the fan film Lex Luthor for President which was a nice touch.  My only fear is Manchester isn't really dead and will take possession of J'Onn somehow.  

Lena is supposed to be a genius, and yet she couldn't see through Lex's painfully transparent plan to cure himself and possibly give himself superpowers so he can take on Superman directly. She was as suspicious of him from the get go as anyone watching, and yet the writers had to beat her down with the dumb stick just to make the plot work. That's really poor writing.

Now, I am not much of an expert on Lex Luthor and how he's been portrayed in the comics over the decades to any great detail, but I always thought that his villainy was focused on destroying Superman and, maybe, corporate/industrial rivals. But ruthlessly killing anyone who stands in his way (like the security/police who tried to stop him from escaping) seemed a bit extreme to me.

2 minutes ago, zslane said:

Lena is supposed to be a genius, and yet she couldn't see through Lex's painfully transparent plan to cure himself and possibly give himself superpowers so he can take on Superman directly. She was as suspicious of him from the get go as anyone watching, and yet the writers had to beat her down with the dumb stick just to make the plot work. That's really poor writing.

Now, I am not much of an expert on Lex Luthor and how he's been portrayed in the comics over the decades to any great detail, but I always thought that his villainy was focused on destroying Superman and, maybe, corporate/industrial rivals. But ruthlessly killing anyone who stands in his way (like the security/police who tried to stop him from escaping) seemed a bit extreme to me.

Never ascribe intelligence to a CW super show's main characters.  Stupidity, misplaced trust and overly emotional reactions are the norm not the exception. 

39 minutes ago, zslane said:

For many years comic-book Luthor has been quite willing to kill his opponents in his relentless pursuit of power, although he seems to prefer gaining leverage over them to force their obedience, or at least torment them before killing them. He's also willing to let underlings die to further his schemes. But when he was a public figure of great wealth and influence, he was always careful to insulate himself from any visible connection to such incidents.

The Lex Luthor on this show has been outed as a villain, despised and feared by society. He no longer needs to hide his ruthlessness.

36 minutes ago, zslane said:

All villains have Persuasion.  Gene Hackman's Lex killed a police officer in Superman by using a secret door to throw him in front of a subway train.  We were spoiled by Clancy Brown's Superman/Justice League animated Lex, Michael Rosenbaum's Smallville Lex, and John Shea's Lois and Clark's Lex. all were smooth and clever but not obvious killers.