Supergirl

Greywind

I presume slikmar is referring to the latest episode where Mxy gives Kara an opportunity to fix things (with Lena) by going into various points in the past and telling Lena her secret identity, only to find that telling Lena was never a good idea under any circumstances.

7 minutes ago, zslane said:

I presume slikmar is referring to the latest episode where Mxy gives Kara an opportunity to fix things (with Lena) by going into various points in the past and telling Lena her secret identity, only to find that telling Lena was never a good idea under any circumstances.

Oh well, I guess I didn't miss much.  With rare exception time travel is the "filler" of TV shows.  Signs that the writing team was out of ideas.....

22 hours ago, zslane said:

"It's a Wonderful Supergirl" -- I liked it well enough.

23 hours ago, Spence said:

Oh well, I guess I didn't miss much.  With rare exception time travel is the "filler" of TV shows.  Signs that the writing team was out of ideas.....

Except this was kind of a non time travel show. As Mattingly said, they did more of a take on its a wonderful life showing Kara that not changing things was probably best. It was pretty well done.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

Except this was kind of a non time travel show. As Mattingly said, they did more of a take on its a wonderful life showing Kara that not changing things was probably best. It was pretty well done.

Traveling back in time to try and tell Lena the secret at different times sounds kinda time travel'ly to me.... 🤔

I hung in until the big crossover event (which was, frankly, pretty underwhelming in my opinion, sadly), but since then I've stopped watching Supergirl or Flash or Legends. I just can't bring myself to care. I *wanted* to like them, and I did for a long while despite the often juvenile character relationships and the mind-bogglingly stupid plot contrivances. But it all just finally came to a head and I deleted the OnePasses from my Tivo. (And the Myxy episode just confirmed a long-held suspicion of mine--the timeline we're watching is always, ALWAYS the best of all possible worlds. Even if a given alternate timeline is better in some way for our protagonist, that improvement in his life will always be paid for by horrific changes for everyone else.)

I actually enjoyed the shows at the beginning. 

But there is one thing that I have come to hate in TV to the point of real world revulsion and a need to vomit. 

1) Deep dark conspiracies.   Every frakking thing is a conspiracy these days and the one thing they completely lack the ability to do is actually write an interesting conspiracy story.

And unfortunately, it seems that is all Hollywood can seem to crank out these days.  I sometimes think that movie Idiocracy was actually a documentary. 

Fortunately I have books I can read, there are some interesting small indy shows out there and I have access to  lot of foreign made films and shows with subtitling.  I still watch some Follywood, but not nearly as much as I did. 

• 1 month later...
On 4/20/2020 at 10:39 PM, Spence said:

I actually enjoyed the shows at the beginning. 

But there is one thing that I have come to hate in TV to the point of real world revulsion and a need to vomit. 

1) Deep dark conspiracies.   Every frakking thing is a conspiracy these days and the one thing they completely lack the ability to do is actually write an interesting conspiracy story.

And unfortunately, it seems that is all Hollywood can seem to crank out these days.  I sometimes think that movie Idiocracy was actually a documentary. 

Fortunately I have books I can read, there are some interesting small indy shows out there and I have access to  lot of foreign made films and shows with subtitling.  I still watch some Follywood, but not nearly as much as I did. 

Western civilization doesn't really have an identifiable major external threat any more. The Soviet Union's gone, and communism is essentially moribund. Islamic extremist terrorism has had a lot of the wind taken out of its sails, at least as far as its profile goes. Organized crime is pervasive and occasionally quite high-profile, but too petty to inspire that sense of a grand opponent. So the fictional conspiracy has become the default go-to.

At least the CW DC has Lex Luthor back in all his glory. He's a comic-book conspirator worth opposing: a ruthless genius with vast resources and excellent PR, and clear, easily-understood motivations -- power and revenge.

• 3 months later...