"To Acroyear's rescue!" or "What haven't you tried?"

Hermit

Discussed many times... Wavemistress (was originally even weaker than the Superfriends Aquaman). She's now over 2k points. Originally a "get back" at the GM for making us all start new characters... I made her totally normal except for some powers that only worked under water (and that wasn't enough... one of those powers was a 2d6 EB. Yes, two dice).

Now you can think of her like a combination of Aquaman, Fathom (Elementals), Dr. Strange, and uh... some omni gadget guy (had a sorcery vpp and a gadgeteering one, too). And add in a handful of magical artifact weapons and a bunch of martial arts.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did have a powered armor guy that launched little drones (bought as duplicates) to harrass, scout, and whatever.

I want to stay away from super speed and duplication or stuff that would cause my character to move/act a lot more than other players. I'm afraid I'd just end up distracting myself with silly stuff during the game to make sure everyone else has a chance to do things. That's one of my problems now... too effective.

Here's some more ideas (see, I have been thinking... if nothing else, I'll use these for my Enemies project).

Skipray

Mutant teleporter who, when traveling through hyperspace, builds up an energy charge which he can project as a beam of destablizing energy for a variety of effects (damage, "force push", perhaps a limited ranged teleport vs others).

Hellscream

Despite the Image style name I'd want to change... he's basically a fire breather energy projecter with a linked sonic effect (flash, sonic eb). Actually, he's just kind of a Cyclops clone with a dual SFX, now that I think about it. Forget him.

Here's an Idea I was hoping to play, but being always

the GM and never the Player, won't get a chance...

A Boy and his Dog.

Boy is an orphan street kid, trying to make it on his

own in a very messed up world. He has strange

dreams which tell of a horrible crimes that either

will happen, or has happened. Though they are dreamlike

and unclear he feels compelled to help those involved.

This has made him very empathic, so he can sense the

feelings of those around him. His attunement to others also

lets him heal their wounds with just a touch.

Dog was an experimental subject which went out of

control and escaped from the biotech facility. He had

been shot several times, drugged, starving, exhausted,

and dehydrated. He was lying in a creek in the City,

slowly dying. That is where Boy found him.

Boys touch healed dog, and calmed and comforted him.

Now Boy and Dog are constant companions.

When Boy is in danger, Dog grows to 24 meters tall,

bristles with fury and rends asunder those trying to hurt

his Master. When Dog is enraged, his howl tears at

the souls of his foes, and drives them into thralls of

terror. Only the safety of Boy, or Boy's command can

get Dog to back down when he is enraged.

Actually, that's kinda like a "villain" in my slacker villain team, the Super Syndicate.

Animalad could communicate and mutate animals. He was always accompanied by his dog, Buchi (which was super tough and could breath fire like a dragon). He used Roscoe the Rat to case places before they tried to rob them.

Oddly, the child was killed by a hero who was allegedly a cast out greek god who was trying to regain his place by making himself the patron god of lost children............. I'm sure the giant magic spear shoved through the kid's chest (pushed on the attack, no less) didn't help his cause any.

I do kinda like that idea, too...

Guest Champsguy

You could always go with a still-active Golden Age character. Perhaps Ben Steel and his bear Hans!

Ben Steel is a medium grade brick who pals around with his trained dancing bear (who also has some enhanced strength).

A few of my favorites:

Grey Mask, a 40's Pulp Hero in the modern era, he has low grade TP (Mind Control, Mentall Illusion, etc...) and a Psychic Invisibility (Invisibility to sight/sound, only vs people who can be effected by Mental Illusion, -1/2). Essentialy a Shadow clone who happens to be in his 80's (physicaly he was in his 50-60), great fun as he was mostly a Invisible Martial Artist, with crappy stats (18 Dex, Speed 4 IIRC)

Guardian: A Brick that had all his powers bought with IIF: Magic Spell of the Guardian, essentialy it could (and is) taken away by any wizard who makes a sussesful magic roll

Sara Jaced, A street mage (Urban Magic...take a face full of smog)

B'wana: The Avator of the human race, peak human, uses an enchanted Bola (It would return when called, could grab things, could explode, most of the attacks were AF-2)

The slime, think Spiderman type movement powers

With apologies to Supes... An idea I had

Ooo... free drawing, the holy grail of the artistically inept (Myself included) gamer!

How about this for a superman clone.. uhm, kind of.

Eklar of the D'movian province figured the judge would go pretty light on him. So he had got into another fight. Big deal, maybe others had adjusted to this new age of peace for the planet but not him. He was a man of action. Of course, he had destroyed that nocturnal recreation lot in the fight, but surely it was accredited?

The judge wasn't amused, "This is your third violation that has lead to major property damage. Under the new administration, incarceration for crimes is seen as barbaric... so..." The judge gave a grin, "I have decided to get 'creative'."

Suddenly, Eklar was nervous.

"Eklar, you are hereby sentenced to community service... in the Sol System, on the third planet... they have light gravity, and few of the abilities we consider natural. There you shall assist the natives as one of their 'super heroes', doing good, saving lives, and putting your over stimulated aggression glands to good use. Period of thirty cycles! An implant will be your means of checking in with your rehibilitation officer. "

And that was that... Now Ecklar finds himself in a guady out fit, and looking down on an Earth city to see what accident prone terran is going to fall off a building THIS evening. Fortunately, the Terrans are pretty gullible, and have fallen for this whole "Truth, Justice, and the Earthen Way" dung he's been spouting as his reason for being here. Heck, she was a bit pasty colored, but that media female was kind of cute... if he played his probabilities right...

The annoying 'Ping' of his implant went off... time to contact the homeworld. Sigh.

I won't suggest any names, since it always feels more personal when you name them yourself. But here are a few ideas off the top of my head. I'll warn you first that I am better at original backgrounds than at original powers.

• An extra-dimensional summoned creature whose contract or binding is broken with his "master", and therefore would not be bound to perform the evil deeds for which he was summoned. He'd have a built in hunter (Master), evil reputation, distinctive looks, vulnerabilities/susceptabilities based around things that hurt demons.
  • You are inexplicably linked to an alternate world version of yourself. As a result, you have multiform. One of you is present, then under certain circumstances another version of you is swapped into place. Could even be more than two of you. I like the idea that there's some cosmic balance that keeps two of you form being in the same universe at the same time by swapping you. There'd be a certain amount of disorientation each swap as you got your bearings. To others you'd appear skizophrenic, though your powers would change as well.
  • A VPP type, you'd have a power to read images from people's minds of things that they've dreamed, then you could reproduce those things through use of your pool, as if you conjured their dreams/nightmares into being. Obviously you'd have problems with things that don't dream, but nobody said it was all easy.

Lunchtime is over. I'll post more later if I think of them.

I thought I would share the current team lineup, too. So you can see what thunder I don't want to steal :)

Fuzion

Air force test pilot who has been fused with an alien artifact that allows him to summon a suit of powered armor. Pretty typical Iron Man type powers. Kind of a cross between Iron Man and the guyver.

Dervish

He spins real fast. Mostly he's just hard to hit, but he has some limited wind manipulation powers and an autofire punch. Kind of like the Top from Flash's Rogues Gallery.

Nth Man

Peak human physically and "open minded" mentally (some mental ability, pretty weak). He's an escaped Viper super soldier experiment.

Gargoyle

A stone gargoyle that was once in the employ of an evil sorceror who had since escaped the control on him (similar to an idea suggested above). He's a flying stone guy with claws.

Kinesis

Mutant who absorbs kinetic energy and can redirect it as force blasts. Above average human, but outside of that power, nothing to write home about.

Silent Strike

Ninja with a bunch of quasi-mystical chi powers.

"Monk"

An asian monk with a lot of those fancy anime/manga powers. Martial artists with TK, wild leaping, etc.

Tyr

Little old librarian who, when he puts on an artifact ring, turns in the avatar of the god, Tyr (which is funny, because he's a little old black guy who turns into a giant norseman). Just think Thor without the weather control.

Anak Krakatoa

A giant lava man. Kind of like a non flying Ben Grimm with some heat/lava/tunnelling powers.

Then there was me... with my Green Lantern type guy.

Hehe... I give up.

Even the suggestions I make are things I've already done too. So it's not like I'm capturing lightning in a bottle. (Though that would be a neat power too.) I'm sure Lightning-in-a-bottle-man has that covered though.

Well, if you think of anything post it on up (I'm tossing my own ideas around, too). At the very least, it's a cool thread people can refer to when they're looking for a little inspiration.

Actually, I've glommed a few ideas I'm definitely going to use, if not for myself, I'll rework them for my Enemies project (which would be for everyone, yay).

I really dig your multiform suggestion... however, in my case... I know I'd just keep buying more forms and be able to be super-functional anywhere at any time or something and just end up in the same dilemma (even though the possibilities would let me try out all kinds of power sets and personality tweaks all wrapped up in one character).

More ideas in the air

Originally posted by Acroyear

I thought I would share the current team lineup, too. So you can see what thunder I don't want to steal :)

Fuzion

Dervish

Nth Man

Gargoyle

Kinesis

Strike

"Monk"

Tyr

Anak Krakatoa

Then there was me... with my Green Lantern type guy.

Whew, with a team with that many numbers and diversity, it will be tricky not to overlap.

Brick, Energy Blaster, Gadgeteer, Martial Artist, Mentalist, Metamorph, Mystic, Patriot, Powered Armor, Speedster, Weaponmaster

Out of the 'official' archetypes, the only ones I see missing from the group is a gadgeteer and Patriot.

The group seems to favor the mystic (One exception being Fuzion), so maybe you should favor the tech.

Possible ideas that come to mind, but are very rough...

A bowman ala Hawkeye/Green Arrow, heavier on the technician side than pure skill perhaps. Or if that bores you, make it a cross bow or even darts (All those years between Aberdeen University learning engineering, and training in the Pub after classes) :)

You've already seen one idea on a patriot if you wanted to use it, but you could mix the Gadgeteer with the American Patriot sort. Call him or her "Ingenuity" or "Know how" (As in "Yankee..." :))

This might be a good time to try the Avatar type Patriot... the ones based not on nations, but concepts. I'd reccomend Justice, except that might step on Tyr's toes. You could make one based on a concept of 'Truth' , give him no concious control Precognition; Dispel against Images, Mental Illusions, and even Shapechange; and Telepathy. Not too effective alone, but might be great support.

You might also want to create a link to one of your old characters. Maybe one of your past characters saved the current one, and inspired him to become a hero as well. Perhaps there is a blood relation? Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy that sort of thing.

Yep, big group. I don't mind a little overlap, I just don't like totally putting them in the back seat. The combination of well built and well played (sorry for the immodesty.:rolleyes: ) can really blow the competition away.

Speaking of which, my 2 most experienced characters have mystic backgrounds, too (one an elemental, the other with artifacts that give him the powers of a pantheon). So veering away from that might be fresh.

One idea I sort of toyed with was a Silver Avenger who just "took" to the cyberline treatment, it interacted with him strangely and buffed him up to standard super level. Along with some fancy gauntlets, he has the Golden Avenger style AP punch and an energy shield (kinda of Cap-ish). But as I was doodling out a costume, my dislike for PRIMUS (in general) just kinda stopped me. I guess I could shake the background and stick with the concept.

I think I'm going to use the bad guy on the reform angle. I liked it before and you presented the idea a couple times, too. Now to find something to apply it to :) Or if something else comes up, I'll change my mind. It's sometimes an advantage, too, to be fickle.

This afternoon I was looking more at Shadow Wing (John Spencer's idea of random generation), Totem Caller (Patriot's idea of the avatar of a shaman animal god thing) and the "Lost" Son of Krypton (alien thug on community service, close to your idea) right now, but I'm not quite getting my face slapped by any of them saying "me me me, you fool!"

I really liked Arkham's idea, but I think the duplication/follower thing would have me acting more often than others. My speedster experience (and I am a huge speedster fan), though, kind of makes me wary of it.

Other great ideas here, too. Just trying to nab one for me. I certainly hope other people are getting some cool ideas, too (maybe they'll share what they come up with later).

Speaking of which, my 2 most experienced characters have mystic backgrounds, too (one an elemental, the other with artifacts that give him the powers of a pantheon). So veering away from that might be fresh.

One idea I sort of toyed with was a Silver Avenger who just "took" to the cyberline treatment, it interacted with him strangely and buffed him up to standard super level. Along with some fancy gauntlets, he has the Golden Avenger style AP punch and an energy shield (kinda of Cap-ish). But as I was doodling out a costume, my dislike for PRIMUS (in general) just kinda stopped me. I guess I could shake the background and stick with the concept.

I think I'm going to use the bad guy on the reform angle. I liked it before and you presented the idea a couple times, too. Now to find something to apply it to :) Or if something else comes up, I'll change my mind. It's sometimes an advantage, too, to be fickle.

Mmm.. maybe I'm in the mood for a bad guy reformed type myself. :) This thread maybe giving me more ideas than I'm throwing out.

You could mix the Silver Avenger idea with that , believe it or not. Maybe some trauma occured, or there was corruption in PRIMUS that turned him against it (Or just had him disobey orders) but because of his unique reaction to cyberline, they couldn't just depower him. Maybe they let him go to fight some menace (And he earned his early parole thusly), or he broke out... or even served his time :)

Currently I'm working on my Spider-Man clone, mystic bent to him (Do NOT tick off Grandmother Spider then ask for help... she'll put you to work) :)

JmOz's post reminded me I didn't comment on his ideas. I like the B'wana idea, myself, but feel it's close to Nth Man already in the game to some degree (human paragon). Which was an idea I was actually considering after I didn't like my brick in the first recent session but another player beat me to it... so I went the GL route.

I also think the IIF Guardian idea was highly, highly intriguing. Have you actually used something like that before? If any knowledgable magician can dispell it, how does he get it back? How did you work that as focus that wasn't an item?

Since I was considering the possibility of a reforming criminal type, that might be a good way for the authorities (whatever ones he answers to) to "shut him down" if necessary (getting the "focus" back in my example seems more obvious, but if you've done your idea before, I'm just curious how it played out).

Originally posted by Hermit

Mmm.. maybe I'm in the mood for a bad guy reformed type myself. :) This thread maybe giving me more ideas than I'm throwing out.

That's great. Hopefully, it sparks something for plenty of us around here :)

This kind of "throw it all out there" thread is cool. Welcome to the Champions Salad Bar.

Okay, how about a sentient android, an offspring of Mechanon, kind of like Jocasta in Avengers. Intricate familiaryty w. machinery, drones, and good at analyzing stuff. Can come with a small (40 pts) pool too. Give it a Disavantage, "fleeting soul; tends to get stuck on an endless suite of details". Robotic love?

Here's another one. An extremely superobese hero, like the Blob, who turns out to be a failed experiment to make cells that could regenerate themselves. Young weasely guy, about 9 Dex and a Explosion on STR (Walloping the ground). The kid is a nerd turned bigger, meaner nerd. Still have that silly voice. Sweats easily. Eventually, he will cross the line between acceptable and unnessecary means. Fear of heights.

A last one. This poor, ordinary joe has found those weird, gauntlet-like constructs, but has killed to got them. He now tries to attone for what he did by using the gautlets to go idealist. The constructs themselves are a nasty box of surprises (A random multipower, -¾) on which O-Joe has few control yet, mostly having powers that handle magnetism. Very potent when they work, but a little bit jangly, says rest of the team. Moreso because O-joe is an ordinary guy with a real, if banal life, and tends to think like an ordinary guy. He has a divorced wife and a daughter for who he pays a hefty sum.

Originally posted by Nucleon

Okay, how about a sentient android, an offspring of Mechanon, kind of like Jocasta in Avengers. Intricate familiaryty w. machinery, drones, and good at analyzing stuff. Can come with a small (40 pts) pool too. Give it a Disavantage, "fleeting soul; tends to get stuck on an endless suite of details". Robotic love?

I like it. We had many Mechanon plots in our early years, many of which dealt with his hidden, backup bodies and memory cores and stuff.

He would need some form of disguise, I think, to "get in" on some of the more social things. Or maybe not.

Creeper / Dial "H" for HERO

Howabout a guy who's kinda like The Creeper. He's one of those experiments on people, except this was with the Dial "H" for Hero twist.

On his own, he's a competent normal. Each time he uses the dial, he gets a DIFFERENT set of powers that lasts for about 1 hour. To save on the headache of having to come up with a different set of powers each time you dial, you could just have a set sequence of 5 or 7, but you MUST go in that order. No skipping.

To make matters worse, the Hero Identity knows everything that the Normal Identity does, but the Normal Identity can NEVER remember anything that the Hero Identities do.

On Guardian, yes I have GM'd him, and used him as an NPC.

The way the IIF works is this, any character who can see magic (Somewhat common in my games, most magical practitioners can) can see that a spell is binding a Protective spirit to the character (A guardian angel if you will), further more they can also see how to untie the spirit and retie it, this takes a little bit of spell chanting, hands waving, and a host (to be tied to the spirit, the caster can but does not have to be this person).

As part of the F/X any character who has been so bound knows how to do the same, and can see the spirit (Even if they can not see magic otherwise). So while the powers have been taken away he was capable of (through help from his friend, luck, or good planning) to always get the powers back by the same way they were taken

To add, the issue of it not being an item never came up, as you see above it could still be taken away, and it was not exactly dispelled, more like transfered.

Also the spirit by nature (actualy the spells cast on it centuries ago) had to bind with someone, so if the host was killed it would seek outsomeone it thought was worthy (Of course the character was worthy, so if the mook with it died it would return to him).

Re: Creeper / Dial "H" for HERO

Originally posted by KawangaKid

Howabout a guy who's kinda like The Creeper. He's one of those experiments on people, except this was with the Dial "H" for Hero twist.

Do you really think that's helping? lol Now you've re-validated the multiversal time-share idea in terms of my criteria. I hadn't thought of a lockout type limitation.

"Ahhhhh. Tuh-gungk."

JmOz,

Thanks for the extra info. It sounds pretty cool, imo. I'm definitely swiping that for something.