"To Acroyear's rescue!" or "What haven't you tried?"

Hermit

Good idea

I like the sentient android Nucleon.

I have an NPC robot that was a component in Dr. Destroyer's Mind Control machine years back. Makes for a cool mentalist, or so one of my players tells me. :)

Mechanon really DOES sort of need a vision type doesn't he?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Champsguy

This is more a suggestion for a background, and less powers-oriented (it could fit with most any origin).

You're a nazi. A real life, honest to goodness, nazi.

Here's how it goes. Everyone knows of the alternate universe idea. Somewhere out there, there's a universe where cows raise humans for food, one where cartoon characters interact with regular folk, and even a universe where Mariah Carey isn't a strung-out has-been (remember, this is fiction--lots of things are possible). We're focusing on one particular universe, one where the nazis were victorious in WW2. However, the history of this world differs from that of the generic "nazi world". You see, at some point after the end of the war, superheroes from another dimension arrived on this planet and decided to fight against tyranny. They amazed the German soldiers with their Whiz-Bang technology and their superpowers, tearing through the ratzi brigades like so much tinfoil.

The problem is, they lost. Yep, whether it was to German tanks and fighters, or snipers, or perhaps some nazi experiments into superhumans, the hero team was defeated. No one is really sure what happened to them (brainwashed? killed? dissected while alive?), but it did drive home one point to the Nazi high command:

There were other worlds out there. Other worlds to conquer. And thanks to the do-gooder heroes who had travelled across time and space, the Germans now had in their hands a working dimension-hopper.

This leads us to today. It is 2003, and the Germans of that world have spent the nearly 60 years since the end of the war building an army. They've conquered dozens of worlds by this time. Some worlds fall easily (a world trapped in the dark ages puts up little struggle against nazi tanks). Some do not fall as easily (modern day real-world Earth is heavily armed and had rapid technological advancement, so the nazis aren't so quick to start an invasion). They've now begun to set their sights a little higher, no longer content to simply slaughter the inhabitants of primitive worlds (even nazis tire of that eventually).

And so, they sent you, their Ubermensch. You're to be a "super-hero", and work your way into this world's hierarchy. If you can perpetrate a few acts of terrorism while you're doing so (as long as you don't get caught), all the better. The important thing is to know their weaknesses and be prepared to exploit them when the invasion comes.

Perhaps your character begins to enjoy his new freedom, and will eventually side with our world when the invasion comes (or even lead a pre-emptive attack to free his own world). Or perhaps the strife and violence he sees here will merely reinforce his nazi leanings ("Arab terrorists? Bah. That's why we got rid of all the arabs").

If you want more fun, don't tell your gaming group your real background. Keep it just between the GM and yourself. :)

Cool stuff, Champsguy.

I once had an alternate timeline nazi character (is there really a difference between alternate dimensions and alternate timelines?). He was really based on one of the kids from that very shot lived "Teeaged Death Crazed Superheroes" comic (yes, that was the title). It was the guy with the gun and pissed purple. He even had the facial scratches, tattoos, whatever they were.

Anyway, he was a nazi and son of one of the real higer ups who, Shang Chi style, decided he was going to end their bad guy way of doing stuff. He ended up being "disintigrated" for his crimes... in truth, he was just sent to "our" timeline (is there a difference from the disintigrator's POV between actual disintigration and sending it somewhere from which it can't return?)

Re: Re: Creeper / Dial "H" for HERO

Originally posted by Acroyear

Do you really think that's helping? lol Now you've re-validated the multiversal time-share idea in terms of my criteria. I hadn't thought of a lockout type limitation.

"Ahhhhh. Tuh-gungk."

JmOz,

Thanks for the extra info. It sounds pretty cool, imo. I'm definitely swiping that for something.

I caught the similarity as I wrote it, but I wanted that part where you go "man, I'm not the right guy for this - I should've been Sister Shiva, Nun of Destruction instead..."

Guest Champsguy

Cool stuff, Champsguy.

I once had an alternate timeline nazi character (is there really a difference between alternate dimensions and alternate timelines?). He was really based on one of the kids from that very shot lived "Teeaged Death Crazed Superheroes" comic (yes, that was the title). It was the guy with the gun and pissed purple. He even had the facial scratches, tattoos, whatever they were.

Anyway, he was a nazi and son of one of the real higer ups who, Shang Chi style, decided he was going to end their bad guy way of doing stuff. He ended up being "disintigrated" for his crimes... in truth, he was just sent to "our" timeline (is there a difference from the disintigrator's POV between actual disintigration and sending it somewhere from which it can't return?)

Well Acroyear, it seems that you have played everything. :)

lol

In my group I'm the guy with the most characters with experience points. There was a point in time where I never played the same character more than maybe 2 or 3 times before I would cast it off for some other "cool new idea" and then I have 3 characters with high xp totals that seemed to come up out of these mad rushes.

I'm trying to avoid another revolving door thing here. But sometimes revisting some old stuff is cool, too... especially with more know-how and ideas to blend in.

Like that Mechanon idea. I could squeeze in that the renegade robot "son" is running around with the brain patterns of a golden age hero due to a computer malfunction while he was being programmed - Mechanon had this info stored to study to try to figure out a way to measure "human heart and courage." After a few criminal acts, the MechaJr starts tapping more and more into it and goes on the straight. There's three ideas put together into something that might be interesting.

How about a gadgeteer with a VPP with the lim "can only simulate powers of devices he's studied." So he can do any of the mundane stuff... guns, radios, etc. But as time goes on, he's whipping out any old focus of any villain he's thwarted.

"Why, yes, these are just like Binder's boot jets. The real question is, where do you want the next ping pong ball?"

Ok, that stinks, too.

How about a gadgeteer with a VPP with the lim "can only simulate powers of devices he's studied." So he can do any of the mundane stuff... guns, radios, etc. But as time goes on, he's whipping out any old focus of any villain he's thwarted.

"Why, yes, these are just like Binder's boot jets. The real question is, where do you want the next ping pong ball?"

Ok, that stinks, too.

*L* Actually, I like that one.

Sort of Photographic invention :)

What about going to the other exteme?

Why not build a character who doesn't have lists of powers or variable pools at their disposal.

What about a character who relies on skill and wit instead of power.

Certainly they'de need a certain amount of gear or what have you to get buy, but it could be a challange.

What about a patriotic commando or grandmaster martial artist?

Or even... no, never mind.

Yes, all base stats, only everyman skills... nothing else.

He did survive combat. He managed to stealth (8 or less) into that villain's base and survived a 4d6 KA to the head from Mark's psycho samurai dude. I hate his villains!

That's why he retired. lol

This thread has been great, imo. Now I might have too many good ideas worth looking into.

I doubt my last post is even remotely old English.

Have you tried a cartoon character? I don't mean a daffy-duck, bugs bunny character. I mean a character who is a cartoon character but can be funny or serious. I have such a character myself...

A device carrying character. A normal person with relatively good stats who relies completely on devices and gadgets.

A 'telepath' who has no Ego Attack. Instead, uses a wrist gauntlet to blast his/her opponents.

Car-man! My only power is to turn into a car - too bad it's a Model-T! (it's been an ongoing joke for a long time in my game.)

Wraith Always desolidified, his drains affect the material world. Has full Life Support.

Horror A hero who scares people with his ugly face. A suggestion is to add an no-range, always on, AE attack NND (Def: 20+ Ego, Pre 30+) which scares people/villains into unconsciousness.

we won't stop till we hit the chewy, nuegetty center

These are characters from non-Hero campaigns, but they could easily be converted. (And ain't that the beauty of Hero?)

Train: A big, strong and dumb norse warrior type with a magical sword that's smarter than he is. Basically, the sword is an AI with mental powers, maybe an EB (can you buy that with a computer?) and plenty of senses and a high Int, and he's always yelling at the warrior. "No, not that way you oaf! Turn around! You're heading straight towards the enemy!"

Cat: Your typical black-cat type unluck powers. (Supress linked to Danger Sense? ) She could also change into a house cat and a panther. What really made her fun was her attitude--think Vertigo's Death.

Lucky: A Hindu mystic that managed to leave his body right before he was decapitated by a pissed-off monarch. That was over 900 years ago.

Since then he's been bouncing from receptacle to receptacle, mostly lower-order stuff like flies and house plants. He doesn't really have control over his out-of-body travel. (It's not even a Desolid with No Conscious Control, it's just a plot device that leaves the character open for Radiation Accident events.)

But over time he's been able to shift to more advanced forms. (Like moving up on the Karmic reincarnation scale.) Right now he's a dog. Not a pure-bred or anything, just a mutt. Strange thing is, the dog's spirit/mind/whatever is still in the body with him, and every once in a while he'll get distracted by a cat or have the urge to "mark" a lamp post.

Stat-wise it's a dog form with all the associated disads, but with some mystic-type powers like healing, levitation, resistance to weather/the elements, danger sense, maybe telekinesis. Talents like tracking scent. Concealment and Stealth skills. Plus, good speed and running. and combat levels of some sort. It's amazing what having four legs on the ground does for your manueverability.

Not familiar with that Libra. What sorts of things were possible with those abilities?

Acroyear: I'll have to get back to you on that. I'll have to re-read the parts of the story Libra is in and go from there. In the meantime perhaps someone else can fill in.

You might also find this interesting. it is two lyrics of songs by the group The Angels, in the USA they are known as Angel City. You can find them here. I'm still yet to condence that into a charcter concept, but I don't think it hurts by showing the source of my inspiration.

perhaps there is other lyrics of songs that could be turned into playable characters.

Ok, I think I've narrowed it down to the following:

• Mechanon Jr - He's the armored guy in my Character for Review thread. A scientist type who found an old Mechanon lair and has been blowing through his cash adapting it for personal use. Armor type character.
  • Dinky Man - (these are just working names, if you hadn't noticed...) Is kind of like Reed Richards, but just shrinks instead of stretches (might add some shrink others stuff in the future and Pym-like unshrinking gizmos and labs) Actually, the original idea here was the multiform idea with body alteration powers. One form shrinks, one grows, one for DI, one for Desolid and one for stretching (and a nice bag of tricks for each)... but that was way too expensive. Anyway, he's to be the brains guy. Other skills-types in the group tend to be focused on being sneaky/B&E ninja type stuff. Smart guy type with "don't hit me" powers. I sure wish I could fit in the other forms, though...
  • Lost Son of Krypton - the thug from another world here to do "community service" because he got kicked off his now totally pacifistic planet. Mini-brick type.
  • Mechanon Jr #2 - An android built by Mechanon for whatever reason, but a computer accident caused it to go renegade & heroic. Possibly, Mechanon had the brain patterns of a golden age hero he was studying to try to learn the secrets of human "heart and bravery" in the face of his obvious superiority. I figure Jr has some sort of retractable flesh coating gizmo so he can blend in, too, but when the doodoo hits the fan, he retracts his flesh and is all roboty. Kind of like the Vision in background. Essentially a blaster type.
  • Nazi boy - Champsguy's version was more interesting than mine with dimension spanning bad guys and stuff. I have no idea what character type I would apply it to, but I was thinking some sort of radiation blaster (like a combo blast/drain thing) or something more "sinister" seeming (like the entropy powers I was thinking of in one of the random rolled up guys). I was thinking he's cut off and just astounded at this world's anti-nazi POV and would eventually come around (in the meantime, he's pretending to be like anyone else... waiting for a rescue).

Of course, halfway through this I'll probably piece together something else from the ideas here.

One of the most interesting powersets I played was along the lines of an 'earth elemental type'.

He had your basic earth control, earth shields, flying rock blasts, etc. However, he also had X-Ray vision-only through natural rock/earth. He also had free movement through rock/earth (with both of these abilities, he could essentially 'fight' from underground). Ride on earth waves, mini-earthquakes. He also had an 'Earth-sense', he could tell where things were and information about them, if they were touching the earth within a certain radius.

I'm tempted to say "oh, hi, Dan." That is Terra Force almost exactly. :)

Here's some more of my silly-ass, not as good as Jim Lee art

Hey, wait. I didn't say your art was silly, I think its pretty good.

Sorry if the earth elemental-thing had been discussed before.

Originally posted by Starlord

Hey, wait. I didn't say your art was silly, I think its pretty good.

Oh, I know you didn't. Just thought a disclaimer was in order for a select few. :D

Sorry if the earth elemental-thing had been discussed before.

It hadn't, but you nailed that guy on the head. :) It looks to be a fun and potent assortment of powers...and I assume it is because there have been, like, three Terra Forces in our campaign (all played!).

That's part of the challenge, too... I have my shotgun ready for all these clay pigeons. Heh heh. (also, all ideas to be shared for the benefit of the masses...)