Arena Games Season 2-Draft Thread

Logan D. Hurricanes

I will post a picture and link and such later when I'm not on my phone.

My pick for Round four is both beauty and beast. Someone who has helped give rise to two heroes and assisted one of the great villians. Ahe connects three of our picks already, one of which is mine. Assuming the stage now for Monster Mash is the one and only, Mystique.

Mystique.jpg
La Rose.

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy, it feels like two days since I've picked.

Oh wait...it has been.  :whistle:

Cap's going to go take a nap.  He is an old guy.  Wake him when its my turn again.

It's finally my turn!   :bounce:

Let me think...

I think Cap's awake just in time. 

Captain America, She-Hulk and Squirrel Girl waited in the back room at draft central.  The PM from The Rose had arrived and they knew that they were on the clock.  But Squirrel Girl and She-Hulk couldn't believe what Cap was thinking.

"Have you lost your mind, Steve?" She-Hulk said.

"We need the power, Jen," said Cap.  "Have you seen some of the picks made in this round?  Doom.  Magneto.  Emma.  We need the power."

"Are you sure about this?" said Squirrel Girl.

"Maybe you need to keep napping, Cap," said She-Hulk.

"Remember, last season... Tony went down inside the volcano..." Cap said.

"Yeah, well... this guy didn't do well in the lava either," said She-Hulk.

"That is true," said Cap.  "But that won't happen again.  It was your idea to call us Psy-chos, Jen."

"I'm not sure that I meant this."

"Cap, maybe you need to head back and reboot that pacemaker," said Squirrel Girl.

"An old joke?  Those never get tired," said Cap, filled with sarcasm.  "Ladies...I am sure.  We can keep an eye on him.  We need his fire power."

"You're the Captain America in the Captain America and the Psy-chos, Cap.  It's your choice.  I hope we don't regret it."

Grabbing the phone, Cap calls in the choice.

Darth Vader

darth_vader_1_cover.jpg

I will post a picture and link and such later when I'm not on my phone.

My pick for Round four is both beauty and beast. Someone who has helped give rise to two heroes and assisted one of the great villians. Ahe connects three of our picks already, one of which is mine. Assuming the stage now for Monster Mash is the one and only, Mystique.

La Rose.

Crap, so much for adding another Shapeshifter to my roster.

Les Sigh.

Captain Marvel, Tigra, and Marvel Girl sat in the luxurious conference room at PariahCom headquarters.  They chatted idly, but there was an undercurrent of unease between them. Carol was especially concerned. It wasn't unprecedented for him to consult with her about the picks for the team--he'd done it on several occasions, in fact--but to bring in the whole team . . . well, that was new.  The phone rang, and Carol answered it.

"Thank you all for joining me today. I apologize for gathering you all so early on a Sunday morning."

"We knew the job was dangerous when we took it," Greer replied, hoping to sound lighthearted.  She didn't.  "What's up, boss man?"

"You've all been watching this draft unfold," he continued. "I'd like to hear your thoughts, especially on the current round."

Jean spoke. "It's troubling. Emma Frost, Victor von Doom, Magneto. It's a power grab."

"When Thor, the Hulk, and Ben Grimm were among the early picks, I was afraid this would turn into an arms race," Carol observed.

"And let's not forget about Darth [redacted] Vader," Greer added. "How are we supposed to hold our own against guys like that?"

"You can, and you will," the voice on the other end of the line reassured them. "I have all confidence in your skills and abilities."

"Even though some of us weren't your first choice?"

"Listen carefully: Each of you was MY choice.  I didn't pick you at random to fulfill some kind of bizarre quota system.  I chose you because I felt you gave this team the best chance to win."

After a moment of silence, he continued.  "And that's why I called you all together this morning.  Carol, you and I have discussed a number of people to add to the team.  You've done outstanding research and given me important feedback.  But in light of the recent draft picks, I wanted to let you know there's another option on the table.  I wanted to know what the three of you thought."

This is going to be bad, Carol thought.  No point in picking at the bandage, best just to rip it off.  "Who do you have in mind?"

He told them.

There was immediately a firestorm of discussion, raised voices and heated arguments.  To his credit, he waited until everyone had calmed down to continue.

"Well, that went a little better than I'd anticipated," he admitted.  "I know he's not a perfect fit, but his power level is undeniable.  He can stand against any of the heavy hitters we've seen drafted in the past few days.  The question is this: Can the three of you work with him?"

After a moment, Jean was the one to answer.  "Have you talked to him about it?  Is he willing to do it?"

"Yes, I have, and yes, he is.  He told me he has no problems with any of you--even you, Jean.  He said you were never the one he was angry with."

"Tactically, having him around could give us an advantage.  Imagine having him as part of a team-up battle," Carol offered.

"Plus, it's be kind of nice to have a big, strong man around," Greer purred.  Carol and Jean looked at her incredulously.  "What? You've got to admit, he's ripped."

"Carol, I write the checks, but you're the real leader of this team.  It's your decision.  If you think he'll help us, I'll draft him.  If you think he'll be more trouble than it's worth, we'll go back to one of the options we discussed.  I'm comfortable with your decision either way."

Carol looked at her teammates for confirmation.  Each of them gave a nod of assent.  "We can work with him.  Make the call."

In round number four, Spectrum selects:

Juggernaut (Cain Marko)

Juggernaut2.PNG

Over to you, Blue Cloud!

Has he ever been good? I didn't know that.

Good (bad) pick. May we never do battle.

La Rose.

He was a member of Excalibur for a while.  Photographic evidence:

406px-Excalibur_Head.jpg

Speaking of which, Captain Britain . . . . 

Wait, he was on Excalibur? Somehow I never remembered that. It was a long time since I read those and I only read a few (mostly because of NightCrawler) but I just didn't recall that. That means my characters connect quite well with lots of other teams so far.

Nightcrawler was on Excalibur and is an X-man. 
Mystique is the mother of Rouge and worked with The Brotherhood. 

I wonder if I will have a connection with every team by the end of this... 

La Rose. 

Kinda like Hermit.   :tonguewav

I kid, I kid. Hermit is an upstanding fellow and an all-around great guy.

This great guy has two normals with moxie but no powers, which means his team is either going to get its ass handed to it, or WIN thanks to the Batman effect ... (Which I can't count on for folks to go with ;) )

Oh, and Juggs was in my consideration list but there are some ladies I'm going to try if they don't get sniped first (Emma was one of them so it could still go badly)

I am thinking I should start to rethink my next round pick. I originally chose the character for sentimental reasons but good gosh will it be hard for him to go up against some of the juggernauts (pun intended) picked so far. Well, here is to favorable arenas! And at least my round 6 pick should be a safe powerhouse. 

La Rose. 

I am thinking I should start to rethink my next round pick. I originally chose the character for sentimental reasons but good gosh will it be hard for him to go up against some of the juggernauts (pun intended) picked so far. Well, here is to favorable arenas! And at least my round 6 pick should be a safe powerhouse.

La Rose. 

Assume nothing, friend.

Seriously, I had a list of primary and secondary characters (and tertiary, in some cases) all laid out when this thing started.

I have yet to draft anyone from that list.

Nightwing glanced over the growing membership lists of the other teams and rubbed his forehead, "Hey Hawkeye, YOU'VE got plenty of leadership experience. It feels wrong not just deferring to you and giving you the trust, the support....the future blame."

"Ha!" Hawkeye smirked, "Nice try. Nah, I figure I'll sweep in to take over after its too late, and then folks will remember how I TRIED to clean up your mess and be all sympathetic."

"Gee, thanks," Dick Grayson rolled his eyes.

"Ahem," Aquaman cleared his throat, "need me to lead?"

"Maybe if we draft Cyclops he can lead, I've seen his love life, he seems to enjoy epic struggle," Nightwing mused.

"You kidding? Scott's good, but I'm not sure it's worth the loss of other potential members," Hawkeye answered, "Any women leader types you want to get instead? We're a sausage fest here."

Arthur huffed, "You folks do know I RULE a city at the least, or three fourths the world if you want to talk about our suburbs, right?"

"You and Namor finally settled that eh?" Clint raised a brow.

"Different universe, I'm drafted, he's not, so he doesn't count," Aquaman said a bit defensively.

"Whelp, the odds of him getting drafted just shot up 300% thanks to you saying that," Nightwing pointed out, "Besides, we're not talking army control, just a team."

"I've LEAD a team," Aquaman corrected.

"Those 'Others' guys?" Hawkeye said dubiously, "I'm not sure they've got the rep to count."

"No," Aquaman protested, "The Justice League. I lead them for a time."

Hawkeye was startled, "You did? Geez, I guess I owe you an apolo..."

"Uh, Aquaman," Nightwing coughed into his hand, "Was that Justice League Detroit?"

"Well, the Justice League was IN Detroit..." Aquaman answered, "Well, they were justice league once we let them in, you see at the time..."

Hawkeye turned back to Nightwing, "You know, if X-Men are on the table, Storm had a few years of leadership under her belt."

"And Vance has Warriors AND Avengers experience," Nightwing brought up another.

Aquaman glared at them both before turning on his heels and walking out, "You guys are ###holes."