Arena Games Season 2-Draft Thread

Logan D. Hurricanes

Work is work.  And SKJAM! is pronounced "skuh-jam *sound of thunder*"

"Are you sure that this counts as a color?" asked Rhodey.

"In context, yes.  Everyone on his team was named after a Tarot card and a color.  Hierophant Green, Magician's Red, Silver Chariot, Hermit Purple...it's just that we don't think of it as a color in English."

Introducing the newest member of Magic or Mundane,

Star Platinum, aka Jotarou Kujou of Jojo's Bizarre Adventures: Stardust Crusaders.

He's fast, he's strong, he's precise, he can even stop time a little.  And Jotarou's no pushover even without his powers.  At one point he is reverted physically and mentally to a seven year old without his Stand or martial arts training, and he still whups the crap out of a full-grown man.

Here's a little sample...

post-296-0-41350800-1427841554_thumb.jpg

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking over the assembled members I begin with a slightly lower and solemn voice as I open "I am sorry to say that my initial choice for this round, ****, was nixed by the high and mighty commish."

"I am Groot?"

"He apparently didn't quite fit in with the rules of this round. His alternate titles and alias don't count." I respond. 

And with a chuckle Mystique speaks up "Of course they don't. Seriously, you're the team captain, Rosie?"

And with a twinge of defensiveness "Hey, everyone makes mistakes, ya know."

"And some make them more often than others."

"Now now, Mother" Kurt chimes in. "Let's not focus on what we can not change."

"SHREEEOOONGK!"

"Yeah, I am with the Big-Big Guy" Rocket says in following. "So, who is up next?"

Getting back on to topic I continue "Well, as you know it must be someone with a color in their title. But more than that I want to try and keep with our non-human theme for all of this."

"I am Groot." 

"Yeah, I know that doesn't leave us with many choices. That is why I am here asking for help."

"Well, what about Red Devil?" Rocket offers up. 

"Yeah, I thought about that but doesn't that tread too closely on Nightcrawler's shtick?" I respond back. 

"Black Bolt could offer some good company for a change" Mystique quips. 

"No, no, no. Theme, Mystic, remember our theme. He is all wrong"

"I am Groot" Groot tries to suggest. 

"SHREEEONGK"

"I am sorry to disappoint you but Red Hulk was already taken." I have to respond. "But speaking of monstrous transformations, that gives me an idea!". I rush over to check the rosters that have been updated so far. And a quick moment of hope wells up inside of me. "I've got it!"

"Got what, Rose?" Kurt asks. 

"Well, my original pick for the Mystique slot was going to be Otto Octavius's Superior Spiderman but I didn't think he was abnormal enough to cut it so I went with Mystique to better fit the theme."

"You mean I was almost not dragged into this BS?" Mystique jolts up from her seat. 

"Oh sit down toots" Rocket says as he shoots her a sweet little smile. "Let the man finish, will ya!"

"Thanks. Now as I was saying, I didn't go with a Spider-Person that round BUT then again no one else has either. That means he is wide open. And he has the full on Spider Transformation now. Can't get more monstrous than a giant spider that can even mind control other spiders, can ya."

"Just kill me now..." Mystique laments "A raccoon, A tree, A lizard, A demon, and now a Spider. You need some serious help, Rosie."

--

Monster Mash is proud to announce our newest recruit: Kaine - The Scarlet Spider - Man Spider and all!

3116190-2954042-img_1574.jpg

La Rose. 

"You know what this team needs, Cap?" asked Squirrel Girl.

Cap had to physically hold himself back from rolling his eyes.  The burdens of leadership.

"What does this team need, Doreen?" Cap asked.  "And don't you dare say a cat."

"This team needs some more women!" Squirrel Girl said, proudly.

"I agree with her," said She-Hulk.  "You didn't have enough women last season, and look what happened."

"In fact, Tony got rebooted by a woman," said Squirrel Girl.

"I thought we weren't going to bring that up," said Cap.  "Besides, the real reason Tony got rebooted was he insisted on doing those.... poses.  I told him that was a bad idea."

"I liked those," She-Hulk said, a twinkle in her eye.

"Unfortunately, you were not the target audience," said Cap.

"Anyway, you have me and Jen and...Michonne," said Squirrel Girl, a little uneasy with the woman and her pet Walkers.  The katana made her pretty nervous as well.  "You need at least one more."

"You sound like you have someone specific in mind.  Care to share?" Cap asked.  Doreen whispered a name in Cap's ear.  Cap smiled.  "I actually had been thinking about her.  We've been teammates for a while.  She would certainly bring plenty to the Psy-chos.   It's done.  Doreen, do you want to make the call."

"Can I?" Squirrel Girl was thrilled.  Captain America listened to her and agreed with her.  She picked up the phone and sent the message to the commissioner.

Scarlet Witch

The_Scarlet_Witch.jpg

Someone seems a bit impatient.

I've noticed that things have been slowing down and stretching out in the later draft rounds. Did this happen in the first season?

I think it has slowed down a bit more than last season but my guess as to the reasons would be two fold: 1, people are getting sniped more and thus have to re-think their ideas as the last moment and 2, with Bazza and I being placed on opposite sides of the bracket there are going to be long gaps before and after we post typically. 

La Rose

"You know what this team needs, Cap?" asked Squirrel Girl.

Cap had to physically hold himself back from rolling his eyes.  The burdens of leadership.

"What does this team need, Doreen?" Cap asked.  "And don't you dare say a cat."

"This team needs some more women!" Squirrel Girl said, proudly.

"I agree with her," said She-Hulk.  "You didn't have enough women last season, and look what happened."

"In fact, Tony got rebooted by a woman," said Squirrel Girl.

"I thought we weren't going to bring that up," said Cap.  "Besides, the real reason Tony got rebooted was he insisted on doing those.... poses.  I told him that was a bad idea."

"I liked those," She-Hulk said, a twinkle in her eye.

"Unfortunately, you were not the target audience," said Cap.

"Anyway, you have me and Jen and...Michonne," said Squirrel Girl, a little uneasy with the woman and her pet Walkers.  The katana made her pretty nervous as well.  "You need at least one more."

"You sound like you have someone specific in mind.  Care to share?" Cap asked.  Doreen whispered a name in Cap's ear.  Cap smiled.  "I actually had been thinking about her.  We've been teammates for a while.  She would certainly bring plenty to the Psy-chos.   It's done.  Doreen, do you want to make the call."

"Can I?" Squirrel Girl was thrilled.  Captain America listened to her and agreed with her.  She picked up the phone and sent the message to the commissioner.

Scarlet Witch

The_Scarlet_Witch.jpg

Note that this not the chaos-magic-reality-rewriting version of the character. Think a bit earlier in her career. Less omnipotent. More lingerie.

Note that this not the chaos-magic-reality-rewriting version of the character. Think a bit earlier in her career. Less omnipotent. More lingerie.

Oh. Okay. ^^

As long as the Commish thinks it is okay and we accept it isn't the "no more mutants" version. 

La Rose. 

I will admit that I did not read that far into that list of characters.  I just remember the amalgam version of Wanda (and Zatanna, I think) in the previous draft so I never considered her to be off limits.  I wondered why no one was taking her.  Should I choose someone different.  If people had seen her on the list and not drafted her because of that, it would probably not be fair. 

What do you think?

I will admit that I did not read that far into that list of characters.  I just remember the amalgam version of Wanda (and Zatanna, I think) in the previous draft so I never considered her to be off limits.  I wondered why no one was taking her.  Should I choose someone different.  If people had seen her on the list and not drafted her because of that, it would probably not be fair. 

What do you think?

If you drafted under false impression of what you were getting, I'll let you draft again. I understand the way I wrote could be confusing.

I don't think it much matters. Granted I am not the Commish so I can't decide but I would have no problem with ya just keeping the character. And I also doubt that anyone else would, either. 

La Rose. 

I appreciate that.

If you drafted under false impression of what you were getting, I'll let you draft again. I understand the way I wrote could be confusing.

I just don't want someone who could have picked the character, but saw her on the list as someone not available, to be upset because I did.  I do have a good back up that I would be okay with.

Carol parked the convertible at the far end of the parking lot, where it was unlikely to attract attention.  That was part of the reason they had chosen this particular restaurant—that, and the fact that the food here was really good.

She entered the restaurant, took off her sunglasses, and scanned the room.  She found him sitting alone at a table at the back.  He was engrossed in something on his phone.  She chuckled to herself.  He didn’t even see her walk up to his table.

“Excuse me, Jaime? Jaime Reyes?”

He looked up, a little startled.  “Yes?”

“I’m Carol Danvers.”

His eyes widened, and he rose awkwardly to his feet.  “Hi.  It’s . . . uh . . . it’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“Likewise.  May I sit down?”

“Um, actually, I’m here waiting for someone.”

“I know.  It’s me.”

He looked confused.  “What?”

“I’m the one you’re waiting for.  We’re the ones who called and set up the appointment.”  

His eyebrow rose.  “The guy who called me was from PariahCom?”

“It was a man who called you?”  He nodded.  “Then that wasn’t just a guy from PariahCom.  That was probably the president and CEO.”

“Really?”

“Yes.  Please, let’s sit down.  Have you ordered yet?”

“No,” he said, taking his seat.  Carol gestured to the server that they were ready.  The middle-aged woman joined them, exchanged pleasantries.

“Order whatever you’d like.  My treat.”

Jamie glanced quickly at the menu.  “I’ll have the bacon double cheeseburger with lettuce, tomato, pickle, mayo, and A1.  With sweet potato fries.”

“What would you like to drink, hon?”

“Oh, a Coke.”

“All right.  And you, miss?”

“Chef salad, black cherry vinaigrette dressing.  Garlic parmesan focaccia.  Arnold Palmer, extra ice.”

“Thanks.  I’ll bring your drinks right out.”  A few moments later, she did.

Their meals came, and Carol and Jaime chatted for a few minutes before the conversation turned to business.  “So, why did you want to meet me?”

“I never had a chance to congratulate you after L.A.U.G.H. won the tournament last season,” Carol replied.

Her response clearly took him by surprise.  “Oh, well, thanks. We had a great team.”

“You did have a great team, and that’s what got you to the finals.  But you were the biggest part of why your team won.  You shut down Talisman to clinch the championship.  In fact, you were responsible for two of your team’s three wins in the finals.  Arguably, you were the finals MVP.  You did a great job.”

Jaime was clearly uncomfortable with the sudden effusion of praise.  “Thank you” is all he could manage to say.

“You’re welcome,” Carol affirmed.  “But I am curious how your team’s owner thanked you.”

He looked confused.  “What do you mean?”

“Well, I’ll tell you how it looked from my perspective.  Your team just won the inaugural Arena Games championship, and you were the single biggest reason for it.  So when it came time to re-sign his most important player, what did your owner do?  He made it into a publicity stunt.  He let any Tom, Dick, and Harry with an internet connection decide who the team should keep, and Nightwing—who was on the bench for the entire final round—got his contract renewed, while you got a pat on the head and a pink slip.  It was a joke.”  She took that moment to take a sip of her drink, to let the impact of what she had just said sink in.  “You deserved better.”

He was quiet for a long time, lost in thought, apparently having lost interest in the remains of his meal.  “I never really thought about that, I guess,” he finally managed.  “I don’t know what to say.”

“There’s nothing to say,” Carol said.  “It’s over.  All you can do now is put it behind you and look to the future.  And that’s why I came to see you today.”

“Why is that, exactly?”

“To offer you a place on my team.”

His jaw nearly dropped.  “Wait, you want me to join your team?”

“Yes.  I’ve seen in person what you can do.  It impressed me.  More to the point, you impressed me.  You can handle yourself in tough situations against dangerous opponents.  You’re the kind of player I want in a tight match.  You’re a winner.”

“I . . . I’m flattered.  I don’t know what to say.”

Carol smiled.  “Say ‘Yes’.”

“I . . . it’s not that simple.  Nightwing . . . .”

“Why?  Has he called to offer you a place on his new team?”

“Well, no, but I thought that maybe . . . .”  He let the sentence trail off.

“Look, Jaime, I understand how you must feel.  Loyalty is a wonderful quality, one that is too often lacking in our business.  I can understand that you would still feel loyal to your old team—more loyal than they have been to you, it seems.”

He was quiet once more.  Carol washed down the last piece of focaccia with the last sip of her drink, stood, and placed a hundred dollar bill on the table next to the check.  “Look, Jaime, I thought you might need some time to consider my offer.”  She handed him a card.  “Call me if you decide you want a place on my team.  But decide quickly.  We are on the clock, after all.”

With that, she turned and walked out of the restaurant.

It took her less than a minute to cross the parking lot to the convertible.  As she opened the door, she felt the air stir behind her.  She turned to find Jamie standing there—in costume.

“You know what?  I don’t need time to think about it.  You have a great team, and I appreciate the effort you took to recruit me.  I‘m in.”

Carol smiled.  “Get in.  We’ll talk on the way.”

In Round 6, Spectrum selects:  

Blue Beetle III (Jaime Reyes)

The Wikipedia article, for reference.

Blue_Beetle_Reyes.PNG

BlueCloud, you're up!

“Well, I’ll tell you how it looked from my perspective.  Your team just won the inaugural Arena Games championship, and you were the single biggest reason for it.  So when it came time to re-sign his most important player, what did your owner do?  He made it into a publicity stunt.  He let any Tom, Dick, and Harry with an internet connection decide who the team should keep, and Nightwing—who was on the bench for the entire final round—got his contract renewed, while you got a pat on the head and a pink slip.  It was a joke.”  She took that moment to take a sip of her drink, to let the impact of what she had just said sink in.  “You deserved better.”

“I . . . it’s not that simple.  Nightwing . . . .”

“Why?  Has he called to offer you a place on his new team?”

To the first part, there was Pizza party toga night for all the team members and since I could only keep one, EVERYONE but Dick was, by order of the comish released and that was part of an honor pact.

Second...

I've been sniped.

AND the victim of libel

Talk about adding insult to injury :P