Arena Games Season 2-Draft Thread

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But truly a good pick, which is why I was going to grab him. Jaime is heavy weaponry, hard shelled, magic dampening machine, who's a fun guy to boot :) (As some who faced him know).... so excellent pick and at least he's gone to a good home even if it wasn't back with me.

See, I told you to redraft him!  A lot more competitive a character than Night-bling.

Sorry if I seem late.  It got to be a bit late for an old timer like me

and then I did log on, only to see that after losing Jaime, I lost my back up Indigo. Yeesh you guys play rough.

So for the last of Round 6, I've got with a lesser known who I liked when I was younger. A guy who defeated Captain America himself, and also helped him, a spirit warrior with many mystical gifts...

Round 6: Black Crow (Jesse Black Crow to be precise)

911780-black_crow_rising.jpg

3 bonus point if the character has never starred in a TEAM title
4 bonus points if the character has never starred in their own solo ONGOING title or MINISERIES
5 bonus points if the character has never starred in own solo ONGOING title or MINISERIES or TEAM title
1 bonus point if the character chosen is non-white (does not apply to non-humans)
3 bonus points if the character has never died*
1 bonus point if the color is not green

and then I did log on, only to see that after losing Jaime, I lost my back up Indigo. Yeesh you guys play rough.

So for the last of Round 6, I've got with a lesser known who I liked when I was younger. A guy who defeated Captain America himself, and also helped him, a spirit warrior with many mystical gifts...

GREAT pick.  Well done, sir!  :king:

Round 7 – Independence Day
Characters must have originally been published by a company other than DC or Marvel. (DC and Marvel swallowed up several smaller publishers, so they may be published by one of those currently.)

Long before their properties were snapped up by DC, there was a company who rivaled them with a  single magic word and it was not Marvel . Fawcett Comics was big for a time before legitation and changing times wore them down. And among their best family was the absolutely most adorable flying brick ever.

LAUGH's Round 7 pick: Mary Marvel

Mary_Marvel_Vol_1_9.jpg

And while they've treated her badly more than once, somehow the core concept of this charming young lady seems to remain above it all

3 bonus points if the pick is selected within 24 hours
    3 bonus points if the character has never died*
    1 bonus point if the character chosen is female
    2 bonus points if the character appeared in more than one independent title
    2 bonus points if the character was in a movie or TV show
    5 bonus points if they're not published by Image.

GREAT pick.  Well done, sir!  :king:

Thanks. I remember the issue where he appeared to force Captain America the symbol of the new America, to face the old, and I thought "awesome" as it played out well all around. Black Crow hasn't been used nearly enough by Marvel imo, though admittedly his tropes are overused he was pretty damn ahead of his time in a lot of ways.

Round 7 – Independence Day

Characters must have originally been published by a company other than DC or Marvel. (DC and Marvel swallowed up several smaller publishers, so they may be published by one of those currently.)

Long before their properties were snapped up by DC, there was a company who rivaled them with a  single magic word and it was not Marvel . Fawcett Comics was big for a time before legitation and changing times wore them down. And among their best family was the absolutely most adorable flying brick ever.

LAUGH's Round 7 pick: Mary Marvel

Mary_Marvel_Vol_1_9.jpg

And while they've treated her badly more than once, somehow the core concept of this charming young lady seems to remain above it all

And now you've sniped me back.  

Well played, old friend, well played.  I guess that's why you're the champ.

Excellent, excellent choice of music, too.  :thumbup:

And now you've sniped me back.  

Well played, old friend, well played.  I guess that's why you're the champ.

Excellent, excellent choice of music, too.  :thumbup:

Oh, petty as it seems, I hope I've sent more than you scrambling for a back up. Mary Marvel is a top pick going by both power, popularity and yes, adorableness. So as I got first pick this round, I decided I was going to make it count. Mary would tut tut at my gloating, but I shall enjoy being on the giving end of a good snipe for once ;)

Interesting, I don't know this character at all. Is he in a wheelchair?

This is for Lady Pariah too (And technically might be of interest to us all)

Hermit, it took until the seventh round, but it looks like I was finally sniped.

Are trades allowed? You seemed awfully interested in a certain ringslinger I picked.

Lady Pariah showed a sorrow that Hawkeye couldn't be with Mockingbird. Because splitting couples up makes Enforcer sad, and I am sometimes a bit of a romantic myself, I considered offering him up to Lady Pariah IF it was okay with the Comish. I didn't have anyone particular in mind for the trade on her side mind.

Here, in a nutshell is what I was told.

All trades would be approved or disproved on a case by case basis.

Trades should be on roughly even par powerwise (which is again up to  Log)

And there might be a cost enacted on both parties trading, whether that would be a loss of some points for each, or some odd handicap, he wouldn't say. Frankly it makes me nervous.

All that about right, Log?

And Steve, while Sinestro was on my list originally, I have Star Sapphire for that now so I'm pretty good there

This is for Lady Pariah too (And technically might be of interest to us all)

Lady Pariah showed a sorrow that Hawkeye couldn't be with Mockingbird. Because splitting couples up makes Enforcer sad, and I sometimes a bit of a romantic myself, I considered offering him up to Lady Pariah IF it was okay with the Comish. I didn't have anyone particular in mind for the trade on her side mind.

Here, in a nutshell is what I was told.

All trades would be approved or disproved on a case by case basis.

Trades should be on roughly even par powerwise (which is again up to  Log)

And there might be a cost enacted on both parties trading, whether that would be a loss of some points for each, or some odd handicap, he wouldn't say. Frankly it makes me nervous.

All that about right, Log?

And Steve, while Sinestro was on my list originally, I have Star Sapphire for that now so I'm pretty good there

This is pretty much it. Only thing I would add now is that you cannot trade for future picks, it must be someone you have already drafted. If interested, PM me your Social Security # and we can get started.

"We lost Jaime," Nightwing rubbed his forehead, "AND some twisted propaganda war has started."

"I may have to fight Bobbi," Hawkeye grumbled, "God I need a drink."

"It's not the end of the world," Aquaman stated, "We've been in more dire straits. Goodness, the battle hasn't even begun yet."

Star Sapphire smiled at Aquaman, "Don't mind them, Arthur. I think they're just a touch intimidated."

"Nobody intimidates me," Clint protested, "it's part of my charm."

"And with Maxima, Aquaman and you in our midst," Dick said to Star Sapphire, "I know we have plenty of verstility and power. It's just, Hermit is feeling sulky...."

"Must be a wednesday," Hawkeye muttered low.

Nightwing ignored him, "And I guess it's passing on to me. Fewer points, stiff competition, and SO many snipes on our planned team. I worry my heart isn't in it. I don't suppose as a Star Sapphire you've got something for that?"

"Time works best I think," Carol said gently.

Aquaman sighed, "I really didn't want to do this, but I might able to help."

"Like I said," Dick replied, "I know you're a powerhouse."

"Not that," Aquaman replied, "I mean at rousing your spirits."

"'Rousing'?" Hawkeye asked, "Does Mera know you go around doing this to guys?"

"Real mature, Hawkeye," Carol said and looked to Aquaman, "What do you mean?"

"Hang on, this will take a temporary change of medium... but it's worked before..." Aquaman cleared his throat, sported a beard, and begin to sing

And then the moment was over, and Arthur was clean shaven and..well, normal again.

"I paraphrase what was said just a moment ago... " Hawkeye said, "What the #### was that that? I mean... how did you?"

"It was during one of my more... outrageous phases," Arthur shrugged, "Thought it might cheer folks up."

"I will pay you twenty dollars to NEVER do that again," Hawkeye said reaching for his wallet.

"I'll chip in," Star Sapphire said

"Et tu, Carol?" Aquaman gave her a sad look.

Dick snorted, "I kind of liked it. Thanks, Arthur, that did cheer me up."

"Glad to help," The King of the seas smiled, "old chum."

Nightwing's smile went wider.

"Did I miss something?" Maxima said entering the room.

"Oh yes," Star Sapphire said, "It was... interesting."

"I can repeat it if you like while we wait for the new comers," Aquaman offered.

The doorbell rang, announcing the arrival of one of their newest team mates.

"Oh thank god," Hawkeye said , rising to get the door.

"Saved by the bell," Star Sapphire agreed

Black Crow didn't know why so many strangers seemed willing to hug him as he came on in.

While we wait for the continuation of Round 7, anyone want to mention which snipes on them were the worst?

Come on, complaining is fun... I'll show you how

Biggest snipes against me... mmmm
Round 1, Nightwing was mine by default, so I can't really gripe but they did take from the Lee round after as I had considered both the Hulk for power, and the Thing cuz, really, who doesn't like the Thing?

Round 2 Captain Mar-Vell just edges out the She-Hulk. I figured I would need a marvel named person to help counter Carol Danvers, and besides, bonus points since neither Kirby and Ditko were involved. I should have realized he'd have gone quickly. She-Hulk *Sigh* my lust for her is unhealthy but I digress.

Round 3, I really can't argue. I got to go first, but I was hoping to get Rogue first for the both sides thing (And possibly my first lady)

Round 4, Of course, by the time I'd picked who'd I would get instead, well, Sinestro was snagged fast, and I thought 'Doctor Doom' was a hero before I'll.. only to watch him get grabbed. I talked over with some friends about Juggernaut... but nope. And yes, Emma Frost the White Queen was on my list also. Yes, I really considered Mimic. Really, sad to say, despite her being an excellent character, I think Maxima was all the way down my list at #8 or so. I think the question this round was who DIDN'T snipe me ;)

Round 5
Thankfully, I got Heavy Equipment, and with Maxima reversing the 'all men trend' I had going, I decided to continue the balance and get me a ring slinger of my own since Sinestro was gone. Star Sapphire turned out to be a decent grab and honestly, while I liked several of other people's picks, I was feeling pleased by this one.

Round 6
And then were back to the pain. While I was aware of Booster Gold (A fun fav) and considered the Purple Girl (instead of her daddy), I had long decided to go for Blue Beetle III. Bam, Pariah strikes, and I'm scrambling a bit. I set my mind on a runner up who I enjoyed in an outsiders run and would be hopefully unknown to many. But BlueCloud's lore was strong, and Indigo was lost. BB was the big snipe, so I just said Heck with it, and went for a fairly obscure character who happened to reduce the 'white powah' vibe I was in danger of embracing ;)
I needed a mystic anyway, and Black Crow works nicely.

Even with Mary Marvel off the table, I have three good, strong options remaining.  Which to pick, I wonder . . . .   :think:

It's entirely possible that BlueCloud2K2 will narrow down the options for me, of course.

Well, as someone pointed out to me, even with DC Marvel originated characters off the table, there are LOTS of options.

Fawcett has already been mentioned, but then Archie Comics/Red Circle had some great superheroes also Comico, Boom, Heroic Publishing. Malibu (Which got bought out by Marvel), and I THINK Milestone (DC handled distribution, but I think Milestone was still its own thing for a time)

and probably a whole lot more.