Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Logan.1179

Arena Games Season 2-Draft Thread

Sorry for the delay, Wednesdays are our FTF Pathfinder Game, and the wife and I took my mom out to lunch afters to thank her for babysitting while we went to the animal shelter to look at cats. By the time we got home, it was bed time, and I had to run to work immediately after waking up last night and I JUST got home.

Okay, having already gotten this one approved by the Comish, I present:

DITTO! (Gonna lose points with the anti-pokemon crowd but oh well)

Ditty.jpg

(Taken From the Pokemon Manga)

By my count:

• 2 bonus points if the character was in a movie or TV show
  • 5 bonus points if they're not published by Image.
  • 3 bonus points if the pick is selected within 24 hours
  • 3 bonus point if character is a non-speaking animal (Not sure if only being able to say its own name counts)
  • 3 bonus points if the character has never died*

So that makes 16 points.

Will PM Pariah shortly.

I'm back with more bad news, I'm afraid. I need to exclude two more characters based on the "god-awful-powerful" criteria. I'm sorry, but Supreme and Omni-Man are out.

Edit: Mr. Majestic, too. Geez, some of these Superman commentary characters are completely insane.

Regarding the recent ruling, I am discovering that there are two types of Superman homage characters.

1) The first type is very powerful and often assumes that role as dominant FISS* of their group or universe. They are, however, not omnipotent. These include The Marvel Family, Hyperion, Gladiator, Apollo, Bizarro, other Kryptonians, Mon-El, etc. These are allowed in the arena.

2) The second type is an exultation and/or commentary on the most overblown, god-awful Silver Age excesses of the Man of Steel. These characters are damn near omnipotent, gain new powers arbitrarily, can manipulate dimensions or reality, literally toss planets around, and more. These characters must be excluded. Honestly, I just didn't realize how many of them there were and how powerful they have often been made. This list includes Sentry, Omni-Man, Supreme, The Plutonian, Samaritan, Mr. Majestic, Blue Marvel, etc.

A lot of others that have been compared to Superman are really just standard FISS characters. Prime, Mighty Man (both more Captain Marvel, really), Nova, etc. These are also fine for the arena.

Thanks for your patience on this, gang.

Excelsior!

*Flight Invulnerability Strength Speed. I guess this is a thing now. It does save time.

I'm thinking we need to see at Batman vs. Groot fight sometime in these games.  Here is a sneak preview of what it will probably look like...

Lol,  Superman's little Seinfeldesque comment: "This could take a while. . ."

Also, we have the possibility of the most epic match-up of all time: Dr. Doom vs Squirrel Girl!!

Regarding the recent ruling, I am discovering that there are two types of Superman homage characters.

1) The first type is very powerful and often assumes that role as dominant FISS* of their group or universe. They are, however, not omnipotent. These include The Marvel Family, Hyperion, Gladiator, Apollo, Bizarro, other Kryptonians, Mon-El, etc. These are allowed in the arena.

2) The second type is an exultation and/or commentary on the most overblown, god-awful Silver Age excesses of the Man of Steel. These characters are damn near omnipotent, gain new powers arbitrarily, can manipulate dimensions or reality, literally toss planets around, and more. These characters must be excluded. Honestly, I just didn't realize how many of them there were and how powerful they have often been made. This list includes Sentry, Omni-Man, Supreme, The Plutonian, Samaritan, Mr. Majestic, Blue Marvel, etc.

A lot of others that have been compared to Superman are really just standard FISS characters. Prime, Mighty Man (both more Captain Marvel, really), Nova, etc. These are also fine for the arena.

Thanks for your patience on this, gang.

Excelsior!

*Flight Invulnerability Strength Speed. I guess this is a thing now. It does save time.

An observation then: Doomsday was conceived as Second Type (overblown, god-awful Silver Age excesses) but was depowered a bit into a FISS character. Do you share this observation? 

(and thanks for your research into Superman homage characters. :) )

Yeah, who knew there were so many?  I wonder if they were at least provided with some kind of Kryptonite-ey debilitating weakness.

Some were, but it seems that for many of them the whole point was to create a Superman without any such physical limitations.

Doomsday is more along the Juggernaut lines. Described as god-awful powerful, but the reality is he's beatable. Doomsday could never manipulate reality. Or fly, for that matter.

Doomsday's lack of flight reminds me of Golden Age Supes who took giant leaps. 

Darkseid was already on the exclusion list.

Sorry. I saw doomsday and immediately thought of Darksied for some reason. It must be too late for me already. 

La Rose. 

One FISS per team, people, or this League will start to get lame.

*Checks list*

Nightwing
Hawkeye
Aquaman
Maxima
Star Sapphire
Black Crow
Mary Marvel

Okay, while their FX is different, I suppose it could be argued I have two FISS(es?)  in Maxima and Mary Marvel, but Maxima is a mentalist brick combo where as Mary Marvel is a mystic flying brick so I think they're different enough to keep it interesting. 

*knock on wood*

Lol,  Superman's little Seinfeldesque comment: "This could take a while. . ."

Also, we have the possibility of the most epic match-up of all time: Dr. Doom vs Squirrel Girl!!

That is the most epic "rematch" of all time

1454907-squirrel_girl_vs_dr_doom_01.jpg