Arena Games Season 2-Draft Thread

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've already picked a manga character, and I was reminded of the existence of Milestone--

Static (Virgil Hawkins) joins the team!  He'll be picking up some new tips on electromagnetic manipulation from the master....

While my video is of the cartoon, my version will be from the late Milestone run.

As I've already picked a manga character, and I was reminded of the existence of Milestone--

Static (Virgil Hawkins) joins the team!  He'll be picking up some new tips on electromagnetic manipulation from the master....

While my video is of the cartoon, my version will be from the late Milestone run.

Nice pick, good to see Milestone get some love.

I thought Static Shock was a DC property?

EDIT: Do sub-companies owned by DC Count? Cuz I found this:

An American teen, Static was a key character of Milestone Comics, an independently-owned imprint of DC Comics with a greater representation of minority heroes.

Static Shock is also part of the DC Animation Continuity (there was crossover with both the Batman: TAS and Justice League).

I thought Static Shock was a DC property?

from wikipedia

An American teen, Static was a key character of Milestone Comics, an independently-owned imprint of DC Comics with a greater representation of minority heroes. Dwayne McDuffie has stated that the creation of Static was a group effort. Originally developed for Marvel Comics, Static would become a main staple of the Milestone line. Much of the inspiration for Static's character came from Marvel's Spider-Man. When initially creating the first five characters for Milestone Comics, it was decided that Static would be created as a teenage hero who was a contemporary version of Spider-Man.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_(DC_Comics)

I knew Milestone was reliant on DC for the distribution, but thought they owned the rights to the characters separate from DC at the time?

Oh well.. I'll rattle Log's cage and see if he can get a verdict on this one too .

Additional relevant information:

Milestone Media is a company best known for creating Milestone Comics and securing an unheard of publishing and distribution deal with DC Comics and the Static Shock cartoon series. It was founded in 1993 by a coalition of African-American artists and writers (namely Dwayne McDuffieDenys CowanMichael Davis and Derek T. Dingle) who believed that minorities were severely underrepresented in American comics. Milestone Media was their attempt to correct this imbalance.

And

Although Milestone comics were published through DC Comics, they did not take place in the DC Universe. Under an arrangement similar to the one DC and Wildstorm established later, all Milestone characters existed in a separate continuity that did not fall under DC Comics' direct editorial control (but DC still retained right of refusal to publish). Unlike Wildstorm, whose properties were bought by DC Comics, Milestone Media retained the copyright of their properties.

Fundamental to Milestone’s agreement with DC was they would not relinquish any of the legal or creative rights to their work. Throughout the negotiations, Milestone insisted on three basic points:

1. that they would retain total creative control
  2. that they would retain all copyrights for characters under the Milestone banner
  3. that they would have the final say on all merchandising and licensing deals pertaining to their properties.

In essence, DC licensed the characters, editorial services, and creative content of the Milestone books for an annual fee and a share of the profits.

The rules for this round are worded thus:

Round 7 – Independence Day

Characters must have originally been published by a company other than DC or Marvel. (DC and Marvel swallowed up several smaller publishers, so they may be published by one of those currently.)

The issue then seems to be if a company has a publishing deal with either Marvel or DC, is it considered independent? 

And i thought my puns were bad...

GIven the current dispute over whether Static counts or not, I'm going to hold off on my pick until the issue is discharged.  :snicker:

Well do you want to whisper it to me and I'll let you know if it is the character i thought you would pick. :angel:

You also do realise that 1) you can pick now that it is your turn 2) wait for a ruling from Commish Logan and if SKJAM needs to redraft he could snipe you. Do you want to take that chance? If you draft now, the round can continue. Up to you m'lady. 

And i thought my puns were bad...

Well do you want to whisper it to me and I'll let you know if it is the character i thought you would pick. :angel:

You also do realise that 1) you can pick now that it is your turn 2) wait for a ruling from Commish Logan and if SKJAM needs to redraft he could snipe you. Do you want to take that chance? If you draft now, the round can continue. Up to you m'lady. 

Watt is wrong with my puns? :rofl:

How about you whisper who you think I'm going to take and I'll let you know if you are right or not. :yes:

GIven the current dispute over whether Static counts or not, I'm going to hold off on my pick until the issue is discharged. :snicker:

There are people who are waiting to charge ahead.  I am sure that they do have negative feelings about having to wait and positive that they would like to give a jolt to this round. 

As to the actual question at hand, Static is going to stay.

Main reason: my own damn fault. I remembered reading an old interview with Dwayne McDuffie about the creation of Milestone, including the unique M trademark, and I could swear that DC was basically a distribution partner only. Reading more now, I see DC is indeed listed as a publisher of the Milestone imprint. But I had already given a general ok to Milestone elsewhere, so Static was taken in what I believe was good faith. He shouldn't have to pay for my mistake. So let's go ahead and move on with Lady Pariah's selection when she's ready.

I'm sorry for the confusion, folks. This season has been a real learning experience for me as well.

On Static as a character, remember that this is the comic book version that has been drafted, not the animated version.