Arena Games Season 2-Draft Thread

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 890
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The time has come, at long last, for Spectrum's final pick.  In the eighth round, Spectrum selects:

The Phantom Reporter (Richard Jones)

phantomreporter2.jpg

A brief biography for the unfamiliar:

The Phantom Reporter was a journalist who also acted as a costumed 'mystery man' to battle criminals and spies in the 1940s.  In April of 1945, when "every allied superpower, every man, woman or half-assed sidekick who had ever worn a costume, had descended on Berlin", Jones was part of a group of twelve previously unassociated heroes who were investigating a secret bunker.  The bunker was a trap, and all twelve were captured and placed into suspended animation by a Nazi scientist who was going to study them.  Alas, the scientist was discovered, detained, and executed by Soviet forces, and the twelve remained lost in suspended animation until they were discovered over sixty years later.

Revived, the twelve adjusted to life in the new century in different ways.  One of them, Dynamic Man, found that the future was not what he had always dreamed of, and began murdering those he felt unworthy of 'his' perfect future, including fellow displaced hero The Blue Blade.  The Phantom Reporter investigated these murders and discovered that Dynamic Man was behind them.  His true nature--he was an android, programmed with all his creator's hopes, fears, and prejudices--and his crimes revealed, Dynamic Man tried to kill the ten remaining heroes and escaped.

A small group of them--Phantom Reporter, Captain Wonder, Fiery Mask, and Master Mind Excello--pursued Dynamic Man and confronted him in the lab in which he was created.  In the ensuing battle, Fiery Mask was mortally wounded and with his dying breath he bequeathed his powers, which he received from a dying man more than sixty years prior, to Richard.  Captain Wonder restrained Dynamic Man, and Richard used his newly-acquired fire powers to destroy the murderous android.

So, in addition to his own hand-to-hand combat skills and his proficiency with firearms, the Phantom Reporter also has extensive pyrokinetic abilities.  I couldn't find a decent picture showing this, so here's a lousy cell phone pic from the comic:

PhantomReporterFire_zpsvrgwf1l4.jpg

Anyway, that's the final piece of the puzzle.  Spectrum now consists of:

Captain Marvel

Juggernaut

Elastigirl

Tigra

Goldstar

Marvel Girl

Blue Beetle III

The Phantom Reporter

And now to BlueCloud2K2 for the draft's penultimate pick!

I did not see the Pick  coming. In fact, I'm not sure I knew about him until now. neat!

Come on, BlueCloud. Let me see who I have left to work with

I only knew about him because I happened to see a hardbound compilation with J.Michael Straczynski's name on it at the local library and decided to take a look.

Hurray for libraries!

I really had hoped that these others would make my decision for me.  I am stuck between either picking with my 1. heart 2. for points or 3. for power.

Ah heck... she did well last time.  She deserves to come back, I guess.

Ms. Marvel

cf2356e0cbd6bf6d11c120970c5b9335.jpg

I love this pick.  The fact that the picture shows Kamala playing with a Hank Pym action figure is priceless.

Back from Minicon and the Cat's Laughing reunion concert...

Here's a bit from the rehearsals--

And I am enclosing another Monica Rambeau picture.

Nice to see Monica getting the love.  I considered her for a concept I ended up not using. Maybe next season....  :sneaky:

I only knew about him because I happened to see a hardbound compilation with J.Michael Straczynski's name on it at the local library and decided to take a look.

Hurray for libraries!

I actually just bought that on clearance sale!  Looks interesting.

Did we skip Rose's pick?  I didn't see it, just wondering.

Funny you should ask that. Real life has sidelined The Rose from the game for a bit, but he should return. In the meantime, let's move ahead and keep drafting. Psybolt, go ahead and make your selection. I'll post something for Rose soon, out of order will be fine this time.

The Copy Cats are in dire need of a FISS, so our final member is Kevin Green, but he is better known as...

PRIME!!!

Prime_10.jpg

So that's:

3 bonus points if the pick is selected within 24 hours

3 bonus points if the character has never died*

2 bonus points if the character was created before 1956 or after 1986 (1993)

2 points if the character has a code-name and a costume

So he's worth a whopping 10 points.

Sending PM to Hermit now.

Look, up in the sky, it's the XS signal

"I have a signal?" Jenni raised a brow in surprise.

Of course you have a signal, Jenni. You're a LAUGH star, a big draw, a part of the family! You get an XS signal!

"Wow, you really don't want a repeat of the Jaime thing, huh?"

Whaat? No...no... maybe...

little bit.

So, you coming back? Puhleeze?

"Yeah, sure, I guess. Besides, it's the last pick of the last round, not like any better offers are coming around."

So I didn't really need the signal? 

"Probably not."

*Punching buttons sound*

"You're checking how much keeping that thing on costs you, aren't you?"

Whaaat? No... no... maybe

little bit.

Anyway, welcome back.

"Thanks."

LAUGH's final Pick, the return of Jenni Ognats aka XS

170138-134861-xs.jpg

• 3 bonus points if the character has never died*
  • 1 bonus point if the character chosen is female
  • 1 bonus point if the character chosen is non-white (does not apply to non-humans)
  • 4 bonus points if the character has never starred in their own solo ONGOING title or MINISERIES
  • 2 bonus points if the character was created before 1956 or after 1986 (94')
  • 2 points if the character has a code-name and a costume 

"Hey, that's a lot of points up there. Wait, did you pick me because of the POINTS I got you?"

Whhhaaaaat? No... no...

"You know what, just stop before I reconsider this."

Ok.

Look, up in the sky, it's the XS signal

"I have a signal?" Jenni raised a brow in surprise.

Of course you have a signal, Jenni. You're a LAUGH star, a big draw, a part of the family! You get an XS signal!

"Wow, you really don't want a repeat of the Jaime thing, huh?"

Whaat? No...no... maybe...

little bit.

So, you coming back? Puhleeze?

"Yeah, sure, I guess. Besides, it's the last pick of the last round, not like any better offers are coming around."

So I didn't really need the signal?

"Probably not."

*Punching buttons sound*

"You're checking how much keeping that thing on costs you, aren't you?"

Whaaat? No... no... maybe

little bit.

Anyway, welcome back.

"Thanks."

LAUGH's final Pick, the return of Jenni Ognats aka XS

170138-134861-xs.jpg

• 3 bonus points if the character has never died*
  • 1 bonus point if the character chosen is female
  • 1 bonus point if the character chosen is non-white (does not apply to non-humans)
  • 4 bonus points if the character has never starred in their own solo ONGOING title or MINISERIES
  • 5 bonus points if the character has never starred in own solo ONGOING title or MINISERIES or TEAM title
  • 2 bonus points if the character was created before 1956 or after 1986 (94')
  • 2 points if the character has a code-name and a costume

"Hey, that's a lot of points up there. Wait, did you pick me because of the POINTS I got you?"

Whhhaaaaat? No... no...

"You know what, just stop before I reconsider this."

Ok.

Can you get the 4-point bonus and the 5-point bonus? I thought it was one or the other.

Maybe I misread, but I leave it up to the commish to reign me in if I went overboard

Well, taking the 5-pointer doesn't seem correct, since XS has appeared in both Legionnaires and Legion of Superheroes. She is an official member of the Legion as far as I know.

And congratulations to XS, this season's Miss Irrelevant! :)

A member of the Flash family is rarely irrelevant, speed force and all that.

I did have some runner ups though.

I almost went with Magik because she's almost always snatched up and she is a magic busting powerhouse

I also considered Lois Lane... who certainly was introduced way back, and is Red Tornado in her current Earth 2 version.

Barry Allen himself was one of the guys on the list because anything XS can do, he probably did first.

And a few others besides, though by the time it got to the last third of the list I was less worried.

But hey, she was a LAUGH member once, and I felt it good to keep some of the old gang together

Well, taking the 5-pointer doesn't seem correct, since XS has appeared in both Legionnaires and Legion of Superheroes. She is an official member of the Legion as far as I know.

I think I took the word 'ongoing' too literally.

@ LOG: Sorry about that, Commish.

Can you get the 4-point bonus and the 5-point bonus? I thought it was one or the other.

This is correct, you only get one of the three starring-title bonuses.

But hey, she was a LAUGH member once, and I felt it good to keep some of the old gang together

Tell that to Blue Beetle.

:angel: