Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

wcw43921

Where To For GEN CON?

GEN CON Vs. Indiana

This has been mentioned in the "In Other News" thread in NGD, but I thought I'd bring the subject up here because the question, I think, needs to be asked.

So where will GEN CON go if SB 101 passes? Chicago seems most likely, but I was also thinking St. Louis could be a possibility. Or maybe they could go back to Milwaukee. Thoughts?

I have no idea. The problem is, whereever it goes. there has to be enough hotel support for it. Very few places actually have enough hotel concentration to actually do this. Milwaukee would be fried. It would have to eat every hotel in the city and run games in all of them.

The logistics of moving the convention within one year are enormous. We're talking about the sort of thing that will eat Indianapolis alive. Gencon represents something like 5 percent of the city's economy. This might be tough.

The Twin Cities.... There is light rail that runs between Minneapolis and St. Paul and the airport.  Between those options there would be plenty of hotel space and convention space.

Amazing places to eat.

Indianapolis does have local statutes forbidding discrimination on grounds of sexual orientation.

Now that the governor and legislature have backed down and amended the new state law so it can't be used to overturn those protections, I doubt GenCon will leave - or if they do, it will be for other reasons.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary notes that Indiana is full of Hoosiers but that hasn't stopped GenCon yet.

It's my belief that Gencon will move if a business opportunity presents itself, and not for any other reason. Indianapolis will make a significant effort to prevent Gencon from leaving, but the primary issue facing Gencon is the expense of the convention vs. the number of attendees.

Right now, my events sold out in less than two hours and I'm not that big a draw. Regardless, if Indianapolis doesn't fix the residency issues for Gencon by 2019, Gencon will likely move, but not because of the crazy religious freedom laws.