Supers Image game

phoenix240

Great pic!  I have to add him to my game world!

The call came in at 2:19 a.m.  - three car accident on Halsted and 18th.  Given that it was less than 20 minutes since bars close their doors, it's a pretty safe bet the police report on this will include the words, "alcohol was a factor."  And being just south of the university, I'd give it even odds the DUI is underage as well.  I sighed and hit the lights and siren while my partner Caren did a quick U-turn on Roosevelt and started heading east at a good clip.  While she dodged around the nimrods driving late at night, I moved to the back to prep our stuff. 

In less time that it'd take you to whistle the theme to Emergency! we were on the scene.  It was a bad one - I was pretty sure we'd need the Jaws of Life to get the driver out of one car where a black SUV had smashed into it broadside, and a Mini-Cooper had somehow ended up on its side a short distance away.  I popped open the back door, case in hand, and was hopping out before Caren even had the ambulance fully stopped.  I could see a guy and a girl standing beside the SUV, looked like some minor lacerations but judging by the fact both were standing around, and the way the guy was cursing up a storm, probably not terribly serious.  Looked like he was the one who t-boned the trapped driver, so I was guessing Captain Curser was the DUI.  I waved Caren toward the sideways Mini and headed for the car with the trapped driver. She's a good kid, smart and skilled, but let's face it, she's no superheroine like Sentinel.  Or a superhero like me, for that matter.

That's when I smelled the smoke.

Aw crap.  I looked at the couple standing around like morons, pointed toward the ambulance and yelled, "Get clear!" then broke into a sprint.  Sliding to a halt beside the car, I could see that it would definitely take more than a few normal tugs on the door to get this guy clear.  His head was moving, so I knew he was still alive.  But judging by the flames I could see flickering under the hood, he wouldn't be alive for long if I didn't get him out of there. 

A quick glance told me the nimrod couple weren't looking, and Caren was busy at the Mini, so it was clear, but I'd have to be quick.  I flexed my muscles, shouldered the SUV away a few feet, grabbed the car's door by the frame, and wrenched it free in one pull. The guy's leg was still trapped, but a few pulls at the bottom frame freed it.  By then, the flames were getting bigger, so I pulled the guy out, giving him a quick dose of healing energy (and hoping nobody saw my glowing hands).  Within seconds, we were both far enough away that the fire was no danger to us, and I could lay him down and start checking his vitals.  Nobody was kicking up a fuss or asking questions, so it looked like my secret was still safe.  For now.

- - - - - - - -

Charlie Green is the paranormal EMT known as Para-Medic.  Super-strong, tough as nails, and able to infuse the injured with healing energy, he is a true-blue hero of the Windy City.  When he's not driving an ambulance around the city, he's usually flying overhead, helping his fellow EMTs to save lives.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, phoenix240 said:

How about this one:

41720473220_df509f9f91_o.jpg

Smoke

Almost nothing is known about the true identity of this woman, capable of transforming into living smoke to evade capture or penetrate any but the most secure buildings or enclosures.  She was, at one time, an assassin, with a reputation for reaching targets very few others could touch.  Then--for reasons as mysterious as her origin--she changed her modus operandi completely, going from killer-for-hire to just plain killer.

No one knows how she chooses her targets, except they appear to be predominantly in law enforcement--local and state police, federal agents, PRIMUS and UNTIL agents--and superheroes.  A favorite tactic of hers is to stalk her target until they come in conflict with a criminal or supervillain, then kill the target's opponent as the battle ensues, thereby "saving" the target.  She will then confront the target days or even weeks later and say this--

"You owe me your life.  I'm here to collect the debt."

No one knows when she will stop--or even if she can be stopped.  All law enforcement can do is wait for her next strike.

14 hours ago, wcw43921 said:

Smoke

Almost nothing is known about the true identity of this woman, capable of transforming into living smoke to evade capture or penetrate any but the most secure buildings or enclosures.  She was, at one time, an assassin, with a reputation for reaching targets very few others could touch.  Then--for reasons as mysterious as her origin--she changed her modus operandi completely, going from killer-for-hire to just plain killer.

No one knows how she chooses her targets, except they appear to be predominantly in law enforcement--local and state police, federal agents, PRIMUS and UNTIL agents--and superheroes.  A favorite tactic of hers is to stalk her target until they come in conflict with a criminal or supervillain, then kill the target's opponent as the battle ensues, thereby "saving" the target.  She will then confront the target days or even weeks later and say this--

"You owe me your life.  I'm here to collect the debt."

No one knows when she will stop--or even if she can be stopped.  All law enforcement can do is wait for her next strike.

I like the targeted-against-law-enforcement concept and the idea of her banking favors from the criminals she saves.But I'm not sure that the pistols and silencers goes well with the idea of ambushing the target while he's already in combat. The existing combat itself is going to attract attention to the area while using silencers is supposed to avoid attracting attention to the area.

Pistols are short-range weapons rather than long range. So if she's going to end up more or less in the thick of ongoing confrontations, the silencers don't make a ton of sense to me.

2 cents

22 hours ago, phoenix240 said:

How about this one:

41720473220_df509f9f91_o.jpg

Veil of Night

This woman is an operative of Viper (or your campaign equivalent). She prefers operating at night using darkness to enhance her senses and dull those of others. Her powers are speed and illusion making opponents think she is in one place when she is in another or simultaneously appearing in two places at one (the 'Picard' manoeuvre as one law enforcement officer pointed out). This has prevented her from being disarmed on more than one occasion. She has trained to increase her accuracy with firearms and uses trick ammunition and firing skills to blind or deafen opponents with bullets.

18 hours ago, JmOz said:

Look again Archer...She has at least one holster under her arm, probably a second on the other side

Sorry, I took that to be part of some kind of backpack since that looks to be an extremely awkward position for a pistol that's longer than her forearm and hand together.

Lady Night is a mysterious mercenary who has played on both sides of the law. Nobody knows who she is, where she came from, or how she got so skilled. Not even her. She waits between missions in a pocket dimension until somebody wants to hire her, and then she appears, and can"t fully go back to her pocket dimension until the job is done.

There is one catch...she never works on Saturdays, and can never be hired in March, August, nor September. Even she doesn't know why that is the way it is.

I found it interesting that everybody thus far has made the character female.  Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but couldn't that just as easily be a slim, athletic guy? Other than the long hair (and those are dreadlocks, which can easily be worn by a man as well) I'm not seeing anything that screams "female," though the narrowish waist and the lower-cut inner top do suggest that might be the case.  I mean, I'm not saying that the character needs breasts large enough to double as flotation devices to qualify as a female.  Actually, that kind of character art looks ridiculous to me.  But I'm not seeing *any* chest there at all.  Or should I go see the eye doctor?

18 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I found it interesting that everybody thus far has made the character female.  Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but couldn't that just as easily be a slim, athletic guy? Other than the long hair (and those are dreadlocks, which can easily be worn by a man as well) I'm not seeing anything that screams "female," though the narrowish waist and the lower-cut inner top do suggest that might be the case.  I mean, I'm not saying that the character needs breasts large enough to double as flotation devices to qualify as a female.  Actually, that kind of character art looks ridiculous to me.  But I'm not seeing *any* chest there at all.  Or should I go see the eye doctor?

I assumed it was a female because pf her hips and thighs. They suggested woman to me. I, however, have little problem with flotation devices... :D

1 hour ago, BoloOfEarth said:

That darkening of the art in the middle of the chest hints at cleavage.

The coat (over-shirt?), veiwing down from the top, doesn't start having buttons until after the bustline which is more of a feminine fashion statement than a male fashion.

The belt area around the buckle sags toward the crotch to draw the viewer's attention downward to that area, something which is more of a comic book fashion statement for female heroes than males.

No visible biceps (that part of the arm is wallowing inside a fairly slender sleeve). The forearm is very slender. The legs are drawn in tight pants in a manner which is reminiscent of comic depictions of female heroes.

But it would be interesting if it were a male hero who is cross-dressing in hero ID as a woman in order to hide his secret identity. I don't recall ever seeing that done before.