Supers Image game

phoenix240

On September 29, 2019 at 1:04 AM, Scott Ruggels said:

Okay here's an interesting one.  Back in 1993 I was working at Accolade Games in San Jose, and we were working on a Superhero martial Arts game for the Sega Genesis, and the Nintendo SNES. Accolade had recently won a lawsuit allowing them to make Nintendo Cartridges, so.. I will not tell you what this team was named for the game, but it does illustrate my excesses of that early 90's Image Comics style I had to use for that project. So who are these folks?

cW7eypN.jpg

The Tokyo Cyber Squad

Formed by Dokutaika(Dr. Squid) to do battle with the heroic Science Action Seven. The team members are:

The robotic powerhouse Yosai(Fortress)

The mute rogue ronin Shita-kiri Suzume(Tongue-Cut Sparrow)

The psychotic assassin Kurutta Saru

(Mad Monkey)

The cold controlling killer Tai Taion

(Hypothermic)

"Mr. Crandall.  Mr. Dugan is here to see you."

Lawrence Crandall pressed the button on the intercom.  "Send him in, please, Michelle."  He adjusted his tie and smoothed down some loose wisps of snow-white hair. 

A few moments later, a man in his mid-20s entered the office.  His rumpled suit and the camcorder he was carrying both looked like they had seen better days.  "Good afternoon, Mr. Crandall.  Or should I say Battlestar?" 

Crandall grinned.  "I haven't put on the Battlestar suit in nearly two decades.  Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Dugan."  The two shook hands, and the reporter sat in the chair across from Crandall's desk.  "Since you know about me being Battlestar, I'm guessing you know that I worked with your father on a number of cases prior to my retirement.  You won't remember but I met you, Tommy, back when you were a toddler.  Tell me, how is ol' Jimmy doing these days?"

"Enjoying his retirement.  I think he's up in Alaska this month."  The young reporter seemed uncomfortable talking about his father and quickly changed the subject.  "So, I understand you're starting a new superhero team."

Crandall smiled and nodded.  "Straight to business; I like that.  Yes, with the recent rash of supercrime in San Angelo, including several attacks on Crandall Industries facilities, I've decided it's time our fair city had an official superhero team again.    I've contacted four individuals who agreed to come here and help restore order.  CI will be donating one of our closed factories and a few million dollars to help turn it into their base."

Tommy Dugan nodded as he jotted down notes.  "So Battlestar will be coming out of retirement to lead this team?"  He was surprised to see Crandall shake his head.

"No.  For one thing, that battlesuit is so old it would take a fortune to bring it up to snuff.  And for another... off the record?"  Dugan nodded, and Crandall continued.  "I have a heart condition.  Pretty major one.  If I tried the superhero gig again, I'd probably have a fatal heart attack within a month.  No, this team will be all new.  I'm just going to help them get off the ground; after that, they'll be charting their own course."

"Does this team have a name?"

"We've been tossing a few names around.  I think we're leaning toward Citadel, but that's not etched in stone."  Crandall slid a few papers across the desk to Dugan.  "Here's the press release to bring you up to speed.  I'm hoping I can talk you into putting together a nice feature piece on SNN.  Interviews, maybe a ride-along on their first week."

Dugan started reading the press release and looked up in surprise.  "Bulwark?  That growth brick out of St. Louis?  I heard Chicago tried to recruit him away when S-Squad disbanded, but he turned them down flat.  How'd you talk him into coming to San Angelo?"

"Off the record again -- he has a... family member who moved out here.  I can't say who, or what relation, but Bulwark wanted to stay close by.  Of course, there was some financial compensation as well, but mainly it was to be close to his, um, his family member."

"This one, Reprisal, looks familiar."  Dugan squinted at the picture, then read the blurb about the young man with the gun and knife.  "Wait... he wouldn't be Vengeance, would he?  That vigilante out of Miami, took out a drug smuggling ring.  This kinda looks like his mask.  Isn't he wanted for tossing the head of DVS Security off a roof?"

Crandall gritted his teeth.  How the heck did he make that connection?  he thought.  Bright lad, just like his father.  Best to not get caught in a web of lies, though.  I just hope he'll play ball.  "Officially, no.  Vengeance has long black hair, while Reprisal's a buzz-cut blonde.  V uses a rifle, and Reprisal carries a pistol.  Off the record... he's trying to make a new start.  That guy he tossed off the roof had ordered V's daughter killed, plus a bunch of others, but he was Teflon coated - nothing was sticking to him.  I'm not trying to justify V's actions - he and I have talked about this, and he knows he can't be judge, jury, and executioner."  He looked Dugan in the eye.  "Tommy, believe me, he feels horrible about stepping over that line.  I don't think he'll ever go that far again."  He paused.  "I'm not going to insult you by trying to tell you what you can and can't report.  All I ask is that, before you say anything on-air, you have an off-the-books sit-down with him, and then we go from there."

"Fair enough," said Dugan after a long pause.  "So, what's the deal with Ronina?  Aren't you going a bit risque?  I thought ninjas typically wore a bit more clothing."

With a chuckle, Crandall nodded.  "They usually do - unless their skin can project light.  Ronina can shine like a mini-star, creating a blinding field only she can see through.  The more skin showing, the more light she projects.  Not for publication yet, but she can also make laser beams and even create an energy katana, though she prefers her steel one.  But if you don't mind, I'd like stuff like that to be a nice surprise for the bad guys."  He paused, then added, "Strictly CvK by the way.  Light powers aside, she has phenomenal control with that blade, can disarm people and take 'em down without drawing blood.  I'd say she can cut the wings off a fly, but she wouldn't hurt one."

"This last guy, Zat," Dugan said.  "Isn't he that teen mutant the Purity League tried to take down at some community college in Texas?  Took out all their high-tech weapons with an EMP.  Also trashed every smartphone and laptop in a half-kilometer radius, which made a lot of people unhappy."

"That's right, you've got a good eye," said Crandall.  "Electrical and magnetic powers.  I convinced him there's safety in numbers and got him a transfer to U-C San Angelo.  We're working with him on controlling his power so we don't have a repeat of that EMP incident.  He's a quick study, can already generate a taser-like blast that'll incapacitate VIPER agents like nobody's business.  Also not for publication, but he's working on riding magnetic lines of force to fly - kinda sorta.  Currently, he's either pushing himself away from or pulling himself toward large ferrous objects, but it looks like flying, and we're hoping with experience he'll learn how to 'surf' Earth's magnetic field."  He stood up.  "So, Tommy, are you ready to meet the team?"

On 9/29/2019 at 6:04 AM, Scott Ruggels said:

cW7eypN.jpg

They are Foursome. They are based on the A-Team. Why ? Because one of the masterminds or creators of enhanced humans liked the TV show.

In charge is Colonel Lee Maverick. An expert in hand to hand combat and a decorated US Ranger, Colonel Maverick was turned to evil by the reversing ray of Quinten Spicer. The Colonel was then bioengineered to enhanced levels and outfitted in trademark black. He has retained his soldier haircut and insists that all the team learn and follow military discipline. He has been given a new handgun which can leave large holes in its targets. Several attempts have been made to restore the Colonel but they have all failed. The Colonel is forever evil.

Man Mountain Marcus is the brick of the team. Already a large individual unscrupulous college football administrators boosted his strength with steroids which lead to him being banned from all sports when this was uncovered. Triple M, as he hates to be called as he detests the wrestler with the similar moniker, went to work for the underworld who used him as muscle until one of the more reckless vigilantes broke his arms. Underworld scientists removed the arms, which would have healed, and replaced them with metal ones. He was then inducted into Foursome and now follows the orders of the Colonel.

Faceless is the martial artist and security expert of the team and the only woman. She will do all the undercover work before the team gets involved. A strange quirk has resulted in the fact that the more she wears the greater the likelyhood of her getting hit and injured. She found that out the hard way when she tried a burkha disguise. Whereas while nude she is impossible to hit and injure she is instantly recognisable and unforgettable due of course to distinctive birthmarks, the costume is an effective compromise.

Steve Graver, the Purple Ray is actually insane. Howling mad in fact. Outside of the costume that is. When wearing the outfit he is functional and a good worker but when he isn't he can be manic and a drivelling idiot. Of course you can't wear a costume 24 hours a day. He has energy blasts which are purple, never violet in colour, and can be adjusted in intensity. One way to annoy him is to insist that his costume or energy effects are a shad of violet, indigo or pink. It has a lasting effect on him out of combat but can lead to the brave soul who spoke out of turn being targeted for a less than merciful beheading, gratuitous mauling or unsympathetic gunshot to the head.

The person you don't see is their handler, an African American called Brian Bruce Bronson. He goes by BB and not Triple B as he knows that would upset Man Mountain Marcus. He gets them the jobs and then turns them loose. Why should he risk his neck when they can do it for him ?

15 hours ago, Duke Bushido said:

I stated before that I never played this game, but I have followed it for quite some time.  Because of that, I know that winners are selected on Sundays.

Is there a particular time?

This is actually not true. Winners are selected after a week has elapsed between the posting of the picture and any entries are made or after at least three entries are made on said picture. This is of course subject to the person posting the picture being around and able to select a winner. It maybe of late that the winner has been selected on a Sunday but it ain't necessarily so.

Of course, in those days, it was seriously difficult to tell the good guys from the bad just by looking.  The heroes were just as likely to dress in all black and pack lethal weaponry as the villains.

There used to be a really nifty thread on Nineties anti-hero concepts, but it appears to have--disappeared.  A shame.

5 hours ago, death tribble said:

I win ? With a bad A-Team parody ? Tee Hee !

So who is this ?

3444dog.jpg

A teenage mutant and Star Wars fanatic, Johnny Man-Doran created his own version of Mandorian armor to become, wait for it, Bubba Fatt. He believes he has made the perfect, fully functioning Mandorian armor, including one fiering missile on his back.

Ok, he did had to compensate to avoid being sued by Lucisfilms/Disney. And he is more of a legally grey character, not really hero or villain than a powered guy for hire. But, well, he means well-ish.

9 hours ago, death tribble said:

I win ? With a bad A-Team parody ? Tee Hee !

So who is this ?

3444dog.jpg

ARES Arms CEO Wayne Fairborn: "Gentlemen I welcome you to this demonstration of our latest product...the Spartan MK7!"

(The gathered crowd of military and private contractors gape as the armored figure flies at them from around a mesa in a dramatic reveal)

Fairborn: "Yes it is quite impressive. Functioning VTOL system and capable of reaching just below supersonic speeds. The armor design protects the user from environmental extremes with a built in oxygen supply and filtering system to block toxins. It can withstand repeated fire from high caliber armor piercing rounds, high explosives, fire, electrical attack...basically anything and everything has been thrown at the Spartan and it's still standing."

General Andrew West: "Armaments?"

Fairborn: "Ah yes, always interested in the flashy toys eh General? The Spartan is equipped with two railgun pistols that can deliver high velocity rounds with deadly accuracy and the pilots aim is enhanced by an on board hud targeting system. This hud also gives access to GPS, satilitte tracking, worldside communications and I believe SiriusXM. The pilot's reflexes and strength are also enhanced by the armor and they can easily manuver in the air, lift several tons and deliver devastating hand to hand damage. Now enough talk...let's get the demo going shall we? Jensen let's begin!"

Spartan Armor: "Oh I am sorry Mr. Fairforn...Jensen was...indisposed."

(Shock erupts across Fairborn's face as he stares up at his creation)

Fairborn: "My God...Waingro?!"

Spartan Armor: "I won't be using that name anymore. Now...I am IRON SPARTACUS!"

(Iron Spartacus draws his railguns as the crowd begins to panic and Fairborn futilely raises his hands in surrender)

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, steriaca said:

Since nobody is doing anything with the image, let me pick a new one.

SakuraZ.png

Academy Macabre Student Profile

Name: Ahmes

Type: Mummy

Year: Freshman

Major: Undeclared

Profile: Ahmes is the daughter of Alumni Aaho-tep and seems to live a bit in her legendary father's shadow. She is shy and reserved and has thus far not participated in many activities outside of her classes. She is excelling in her studies however especially Necromancy 101. She was disciplined regarding her school uniform violation, but Dean Draco determined that allowing her to wear some of her ceremonial wrapping helped her confidence. 

D.O.L.L.

Black Harlequin was in a slump. His latest toy creations were utter failures and frankly didn't work. After watching an old "Frankenstein" movie, he finally got the creativity he needed. He would create a living doll, in the literal sense of the word. Of course, in his case, it would be a Destructive Overly Likeable Lifeform (D.O.L.L.).

Still, creating a lifeform wasn't his thing; he'd have to find someone to create it to his specifications. Being as there are still mad scientists out there, he contacted one of them with his idea. The mad scientist gleefully agreed and got to work. Time passed and D.O.L.L. was finished. Black Harlequin tested his 'toy' to see how destructive it was, and later woke up with a black eye and a broken rib. He was in pain... and elated... and in pain. She was much more powerful than any toy that he'd created. The mad scientist sheepishly apologized for the injuries; he was found dead by the police later. Black Harlequin first unleashed DOLL on a mall shortly before Halloween and caused much destruction before making a retreat due to incoming superheroes.

DOLL is an artificial lifeform, appearing to be a girl in her late teens. Other than her blue skin, which is easily concealed with makeup, she is cute and adorable. However, when given a command by him, DOLL reacts much like a robot on a mission of mindless mayhem. She is strong enough to punch a tank and dent it, can jump hundreds of feet and is very durable. DOLL's energy core will last about a week before needing a recharge, taking about a day. Hence, she can fight literally for days at full power.

At the moment, she understands she was created for destruction and obeys Black Harlequin, but she is slowly gaining her own personality. Black Harlequin is too crazy to notice little changes in her actions and where this will lead is unknown. If she gains any ounce of humanity, she may turn from her destructive ways and even help heroes. However, if she gets worse, Black Harlequin may not live to see how dangerous she really is.

On 10/21/2019 at 9:55 AM, steriaca said:

Since nobody is doing anything with the image, let me pick a new one.

SakuraZ.png

Name: Jasmine Taylor
Sex: female

Jasmine Taylor should have been a tragedy, a young life cut short in an act of callous brutality of a ravening mad man. Caught in the middle of a battle between the Sentinal 7 and the extradimonional undead wizard that called itself The Lich King. She was fell under a wave of necrotic poison intended to slay and turn its victims into zombie puppets,  cannon fodder for the dark mages armies. Hasty counter spells from the Sentinel's resident sorceress Alchemiss prevented the rise but wasn't enough to stop the slaughter. 

With one exception. Jasmine stirred after the battle ended, rising from the carnage, moving aware...but not alive. Not anymore. At first, she felt cold then hungry, terribly hungry and the bodies that surrounded her looking soooo delicious. 

Always a soft hearted squeamish girl (she often referred to herself a weenie) was instantly revolved to the point of crying out in at the surge of strange hungers. Her call caught the attention of Alchemiss and the looking of her aura told the sorceress she was not a typical monster but something different. There was some aspect of her mind or soul that held together under the necrotic assault, usurping its energies to maintain something like life though it couldn't stop her mortal death. 

Alchemiss took in the horrified girl, calmed her and helped her learn more about her new state of existence. She was undead, fully aware and in control of her faculties but there was her hunger. Only flesh slaked it but fortunately any meat would do, the more rare and bloody the better and human flesh's smell called to her though her disgust at the notion is stronger (If she ever did consume human flesh, she's discover gain additional abilities but its -highly- unlikely she ever will, willingly at least.) She's learned that if she tastes someone blood she gets clairvoyant flashes of their past and current emotional state though after for uncontrollably licked the cut a friend of hers had. 

Jasmine is much stronger than a girl of her size and build should be able to casually life hundreds of pounds and with strain up to 2 tons. Pain is at mostly annoyance and she seems to heal almost immediately for all but the grievous injury. Even those will heal giving time but regenerating requires her to dine on raw bloody meat regularly. Her “ghoul sight” allows Jasmine to see life force like as a glow and see in near absolute darkness and her sense of smell is enhanced enough to allow her to easily track by scent. 

She may have other abilities to discover over time, for now, she is more focused on trying to be a normal as possible in spite of her transformation and continued attention of the Lich King who's seeks to bring her under his control. A number of other occult figure have also developed a fascination (or paranoid fear/hatred) for this occult oddity. 

On 10/30/2019 at 10:41 AM, Tech said:

So, who's the winner?

Sorry for the delay. But hey, it took us to Halloween Night.

Phoenix 240 gets it for his story about D.O.L.L.

If your intrested in who she really is, she is Number 1/Sakura of the idol group Franchocho, from the anine series Zombieland Saga and the upcoming sequek Zombieland Saga Revenge.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't play with radioactive waste they said. Did Publius Varrus Wiston listen ? Of course not !

Don't cross the streams they warned him. Did Publius Varrus Wiston listen ? Of course not !

Don't mix the highly dangerous, toxic chemicals they advised him. Did Publius Varrus Wiston listen ? Of course not !

And above all don't do all three and desecrate a burial ground sacred to voodoo and kill several worshippers as well. Did Publius Varrus Wiston pay any attention to that ? Of course not !

Well as long as you don't leave any witnesses...... But you know where this is going now don't you ?

She was not a qualified priestess by any means but the loa were angered by Publius Varrus Wiston and not only did they hear her prayer they bolstered the curse she directed at him.

Now Publius Varrus Wiston needs a special suit to live if what you call his new existence can qualify as living as Dr Mortis

On 10/31/2019 at 6:51 PM, steriaca said:

Sorry for the delay. But hey, it took us to Halloween Night.

Phoenix 240 gets it for his story about D.O.L.L.

If your intrested in who she really is, she is Number 1/Sakura of the idol group Franchocho, from the anine series Zombieland Saga and the upcoming sequek Zombieland Saga Revenge.

Just a point but I did the story about D.O.L.L.  Phoenix240 did Jasmine Taylor.

33 minutes ago, Tech said:

Just a point but I did the story about D.O.L.L.  Phoenix240 did Jasmine Taylor.

Ok. I give the win to Death Tribble for Dr. Mortus, but I give you the right for the next pic. The floor is yours sir. I have, of course, overstayed in the spotlight.

4 hours ago, Tech said:

What say you about...

Salamender.jpg

Feron Fenix, the latest member of the Court of Magi, drew an Ace of Wands from the Wizard's Deck upon induction and was granted the ability to summon the Ignis Fatuss or Fool's Fire. The glowing floating lights can bequile and charm those who gaze upon them.