What have you used Hero for?

Chris Goodwin

>>>> Strontium Dog - another 2000ad convert. Mutant bounty hunters in space, loads with scottish accents for some reason. Go yersel McNulty.<<<<<

OHHHH god yes. We did this - I still have wee soft spot for my character Mad Gary "scarface" McSlaughter. His mutant power was regeneration with side effect: bits would grow back wrong or in the wrong place. So he ended up with a nose on the back of his hand and an ear in the middle of his forehead - stuff like that.

He also had a bad habit of shouting things like "Does yer mother sew? Well get her stitch this up then!" or "That fer YOO, Jimmy" while killing people. I loved that game. :-)

cheers, Mark

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Superheroes, and occasionally high powered Fantasy or Sci-Fi. I have tried Hero time and again with 'normals', and have never liked the way it came out.

Some, I'm sure, will have reasons why it didn't work. Either the players all forgot concept to build 'efficient' characters, making the stats all look the same, or some such.

Nonetheless, I have never liked Hero for games where characteristics are supposed to cover an entirely human range, and I still don't. I have Star Hero and I'll get Fantasy Hero, but I won't likely run either unless it's higher powered.

For 'normal' games, I'll stick with GURPs if I want something I haven't a system for already, or a specific system that fits my desires, such as Traveller, Chivalry & Sorcery, or Rolemaster.

Let it be known, however, that this is simply my opinion. I haven't seen any situation that caused me to change it, but if I saw it work in those genres - SAW it, not merely heard someone claim that it worked for them - then I'd change my mind.

• 1 year later...

Re: What have you used Hero for?

CHAMPIONS - A long time ago in during my university years a 24 player , 2 GMs , and my first introduction to HERO System .

CYBERPUNK/SHADOWRUN - I converted the Shadowrun Characters to HERO System . Campaign ended after 2yrs and the group broke up and moved away . I loved that game .

VICTORIAN HORROR - a one shot adventure that is still talked about 6yrs later

FANTASY - a converted CONAN campaign setting that just started

What have you used Hero for' date=' as player or GM? In your opinion, did it "work" for that particular campaign, genre, or setting? Why or why not?[/quote']

I've used Hero for:

Four colour hero campaigns

"The Hole" -- a cross-genre campaign based on an article in Pyramid

A port of White Wolf's Mage

A Star Trek campaign

A Traveller-esque campaign

A Fantasy Hero campaign

Hmm...I tend to run long, multi-year campaign arcs (or at least that was true in the past; with my recent crew of crappy players I cant seem to bear it for more than 4 or 5 sessions before growing disgusted and stopping), so depth instead of breadth.

Ive used the HERO System for Supers in about...hmm...8 different setups that I can recall off hand, ranging from 200 to 1000 points depending on the campaign/scenario. That includes spinoffs that arent pure superheroic but include a couple of cross-time caper type of deals, a cyberpunk-metahuman blend, and the like. The shortest running was 4 sessions, the longest running was about 22 sessions by me and a few session run by other GMs. I like supers but I lose interest in them quickly.

Ive used the HERO System for Fantasy for 3 major campaigns in the past, which also inspired two spin off campaigns (one long running and another that only lasted two sessions due to GM brain abortion) by different GMs in the same setting using my setup.

The chronological 1st lasted for a to-brief 6 or 7 months but was some of the best roleplaying I was ever involved in, with an incredible group of players. Unfortunately we were all military and all of our EAS's hit within a year of each other so the group fell apart piece by piece as people were discharged and went home. This campaign started off as a AD&D 2nd Edition campaign featuring Vasyryk the ranger stalker, Brother Balamor the priest of Heironeous, and Dasha the elf thief (and a few other characters but their players werent interested in the HERO System and didnt stick around when I decided to transition the game into it). The long-term roster grew to include Roj'Tok the Half-Orc Pyromancer, and Lucas the Psion, plus a couple of characters that didnt make it for one reason or another like Fable (player didnt mesh with the group) and a Wolf Shaman and Knight whose names I cant recall offhand (same player; he lost interest in the Shaman, made a Knight and played one session, then got TAD orders out of nowhere to Guam for a year).

The longest running of the 3 ran for 1 calendar year, went on hiatus for a year (though there was a brief spin off campaign in the interim that I dont count as significant as it only lasted a calendar month) and then resumed a year later to the day thanks to the return of one of the key players (Wily Q) to the area. This campaign featured Bendyr du Ryek the displaced Stericher (and unbeknownst to him son of a deep-plant Scarlet Brotherhood agent), and Ayden Vishar of House Vishar the Passi Pullatum (priest) of Wee Jas, displaced from the Lordship of the Isles (by the Scarlet Brotherhood no less). There was another character, a 1/2 Elven warrior that served Trithereon (god of Vengeance and Liberation), but the player turned flakey real early on in the campaign due to personal issues and dropped. The roster grew to include Ss'sslyk the Lizardman Psionicist and Korthain the retarded dwarf brawler. Later Hyonee the Snow Elf Giant Slayer was added, and Burynub "Burns" Nyubnub the Halfling thief (played by the flakey player who would occasionally show) made occasional cameos, and a berserker that worshipped Kord was with the group for a while, but the player moved to Chicago unexpectedly after a few sessions and I cant recall the characters name. However, Bendyr, Ayden, Korthain, Ss'slyk and Hyonee were all classic characters and a handful all to themselves.

The third was a set piece military style campaign which had a bunch of characters, none of which made a lasting impression on me as individuals, and the campaign lasted only about three months before the group in-game made a major tactical mistake and were pretty much wiped out in a massive battle -- I think only three of seven PCs survived the set to, and they were pretty deep into enemy territory with two of the three very badly injured, and none of the three a healer. They wanted to keep playing with new characters but I had gotten pretty tired of running at that point and was working long hours so I declined.

Recently I started a 4th Fantasy campaign, the Nine Arrows, in a new setting Im making. It has the vestiges of a grand campaign, but I have grave doubts about the player set and am currently reconsidering whether or not I want to run it with this group. All of the type A leader personality players have been lost to moves and jobs, and Im left with all the follower players. They just sit around waiting for something bleedingly obvious to react to and then go right back to waiting once the action is over. It's extremely aggravating to me as a GM and I dont know if it's worth the aggravation at this point. :(

As a player Ive played in Supers campaigns, two fantasy campaigns, and in a really incredible gritty Heroic Normal action campaign.

Good heavens. A dead thread shambling zombie-like back to life..

Well, I've run:

Two superheroes games - they only lasted 3-4 months. I like the genre but have difficulty sustaining my own interest. I think it's because you tend to start off with fairly-rounded characters, so development is slower.

A science fiction game set in the WH40K universe: I've run one-shots in this setting which were good fun for all involved and the players convinced me to run a campaign. Mistake: it only lasted a few sessions. My only fizzer to date. I think this was because I wanted to run a dark and gritty mystic conspiracy campaign and most of the players wanted to Shoot Things with Big Guns.

Medieval Japan. This is the only campaign I've actually replayed. I started while I was living in the US and really enjoyed running it, but we only got half way through the story arc after a bit under a year and a half. Then I moved to Europe. I ran it again from the start and this time we went weekly for over 2 1/2 years.

Fantasy. Still my preference. Started the game (in my own world) under dee'endee, ran it for 2 years, then, like so many of us, converted to Hero, ran it for 2 years under Hero and took a year off to hitchhike round the world, came back and ran it for another two years, then moved cities to do my PhD and ran a side game set in the same universe, but with the players playing immortals for another 6 months.

I like running long-term games :) which means I haven't actually run that many.

I've played in:

Standard Supers games - I've played in several, but only one actually had any legs and that was the game that introduced me to Hero. Ran erratically for three years.

EPT - Roleplaying in Tekumel. Great game. I played for 3 years although the game was older and mutated from using the Fantasy Trip to Hero for rules. Ended when the GM went to Australia, curse him.

Bog-standard fantasy. Only once, strangely enough. Another Dee'endee game that shifted to Hero under my beneficent bullying. The GM was excellent but tended to be a wee bit obsessive - which meant that the games were brilliant but he required 6 months prep. to run a three month game...

Cyberpunk - actually Mike Surbrook's Kazei 5 game. I played for less than 2 years, but the game was older than that. Much fun while it lasted.

Modern Martial arts - an excellent game and successor to K5. Sadly died after about 6 months, when a lot of players got tired of their characters being used as punching bags. Wimps. :D

Judge Dredd. Actually two different games. The second was a bit of a fiasco, but I loved the first game - the GM for that one was a big fan and got the atmosphere just right. Sadly, only lasted about 4 months before the game self-destructed over out-of-game personl troubles.

Strontium Dogs. As noted earlier in the thread: mutant bounty-hunters in space. The GM with the failed Judge Dredd game ran this, a bit more successfully, but his tendency to turn PCs into bloody corpses* ended it after only a couple of months.

I think that's it (barring one-offs or occasional games)

Cheers, Mark

*This ended his superhero games too: the following exchange was famous.

GM: "OK, Morningstar has hit Gecko, doing (rattle, rattle) 21 BOD and 84 Stun, killing. How much are your resistant defences?"

Gecko's player (in a tiny, tiny voice) "Ummm. Resistant defences?"

Guest Major Tom

Got a question for you, Toadmaster.

In the Morrow Project campaign that was run using the HERO System you

mentioned earlier, were you the GM or one of the players? If the former,

would you be willing to give an aspiring GM some pointers on how it was

done?

You see, I've got the Morrow Project game, and I've been trying to decide

which game system to switch it over to for campaign purposes: GURPS or

HERO System.

Major Tom :confused:

Chapions from 150 points to 400 points start.

Golden age champs

Horror hero - sort of a cross between Burea 13 and the x-files

Justice inc. non -powered and and 50 points of power

Fantasy Hero

Post apocolypse , Hobbseian nightmare

WWII individual man squad action rpg

Police action rpg

Pirate action rpg

Amber role playing

Western rpg kind of Deadlands with time travel involved

If you have an idea why not just run it in the Hero system is my philosphy.

Geez, can I remember them all ..?

straight Champs

Golden Age

pulp adventure

straight horror

Lovecraftian horror

B-movie horror

50's space opera

"modern" space opera

far future SF

modern kung fu adventure

kung fu fantasy

epic fantasy

fairy tale fantasy

gothic romance

weird crime

I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Those are just games that I've run. If I included games I've played in, the list would easily grow again by half.

Man, I've been playing this game for a long time!

-AA

Okay let's see some I've GMed, some I have co GMed, and some I have played in.

Superhero. Campaign started at 250 ended at about 900. Lasted almost 13 years; so just about every playstyle was used, from beginning supers to JLA/Avengers level. In some cases the same characters throughout the whole shebang.

Postapocalyptic - but a postapoc of a superhero world, so superpowers were around. Just no tights and crimes. Survival and stuff.

Transworld Fantasy. Two inter-related 3-4 year games, one being a sequal to the other. Original starting points were 100+100 (I wanted the "heroes of the age" kinda thing). We had a couple of natives, a cyberpunk, and old west doctor and a low powered superhero. The sequal campaign (set at about 450, as three of the characters were leftovers from the first game) were the cyber, a native and the old west doc from the original and now added a 30's pulpish Cthulu investigator (his dispells in the Fantasy world were totally earth shattering), a Jedi, a modern action adventure character (cross betweeen McGyver and Bond) and a Starship troopers armored SF guy (he was actually mostly a villian). That one sorta spanned everything.

A really odd SF game. The main characters were a band, travelling from town to town, bar to bar making money as musicians and help for hire. The world was very old west (this was years before Firefly thank you) with Mecha replacing horses. So they were a Mecha driving bar band. The world had dinosaurs (this was years before that d20 Dinowestern setting thank you) and they had a lot of problems there too.

An actually sports based dueling arena kind of game that mixed Car wars, mecha dueling and sport martial arts (three events that each character had to be passable at - team victories).

A long running Ninja Hero game that ended fairly wild after a few years.

A "tech stopped working magic started" kind of apocalyptic thing based on Ariel by Stephen R Boyett. Half the group moved before it started going really well, and will be the first game I start up again when the group gets to me GMing again.

A Star Trek/Star Wars crossover game. The crew were a combined Alpha quadrant crew (you had some Romulans and some Klingons on the ship besides Fed) that went through a wormhole created by the harmonic warp drive and ended up in the Star Wars Universe.

A couple of low powered supers in the mold of "no costumes, you are the first superpowered people in the world" kind of thing. The one I played in I ran a kid (a SF fanatic) who got telepathy, telekenesis, and some mentally derived energy manipulation. He thought he was a Jedi.

Everything .. all of it .. yep.

Supers (4-color and Dark, one Teen)

Cyberpunk (not the shadowrun version, keep the elves in the fantasy jar!)

Fantasy (High, Renaissance, Pirates-ARRR!, others subtypes)

Pulp

Chthulhu

Sci-Fi (Space Opera and other types)

Modern Day (not quite CP, this includes a very short lived Spy campaign)

but never an Amber game .. I use Amber for that and then only with a very specific few people (most of whom I haven't seen in years.. I need a new Amber group).

I've run lots of games: Champions (Wild Cards, Elementals, Teen HERO, the Hudson Hawks), Fantasy HERO (just one: based on Teresa Edgarton's Green Lion Trilogy), Super Agents (PRIMUS, Chessmen, VIPER). But none terribly recently, though Regency HERO playtests commence late summmer!

Ah, for the good old days. :cool:

-Shelley

Horror- I ran a game for 6 years!

Fantasy Hero

Sci-Fi only once...

Champions (of course)

Cheese Champions, basiclly "The Tick"

Dark Champions

Right now I am trying to set up a game in the Confrontation/ Rag'Narok Miniture Game Universe of Aarklash. And next week my group is doing a Zombie Horror one-shot...

Got a question for you, Toadmaster.

In the Morrow Project campaign that was run using the HERO System you

mentioned earlier, were you the GM or one of the players? If the former,

would you be willing to give an aspiring GM some pointers on how it was

done?

You see, I've got the Morrow Project game, and I've been trying to decide

which game system to switch it over to for campaign purposes: GURPS or

HERO System.

Major Tom :confused:

I believe I ran the Morrow Project Campaign in 1987, so I don't recall many details (I also played some with the MP system so its all a blur), but I would be happy to answer any questions you have that I can. As far as HERO or GURPS that will depend on your players and which system you are more comfortable with, personally I lean towards HERO but I've also used GURPS for Twilight 2000 and Aftermath games.