Need suggestions for a magic-based brick

dei1c3

Hmm... That makes me think of THE archetypal magic-based brick, Captain Marvel (or Shazam! as they call him now). As with the abilities that the acronym, "s.h.a.z.a.m," stands for, perhaps you could take each of your mage's standard spells, and translate it into a roughly-comparable physical power. Like, your blasting-magic becomes a mighty blow (HA); an Entangle morphs into great grasping strength; a movement spell becomes extraordinary speed; magic shields become permanent invulnerability; scrying spells turn into enhanced senses; and the like. If your spells have distinctive names, your character could declare that each of his abilities is "the power of X."

I like this idea.  It also would prove a smooth transition from your current character to his new incarnation.  I would suggest that you exercise a bit of restraint on your character at first.  I once played a brick character with body control powers in a multi-power (desolidification, density increase, growth, shrinking, and stretching).  Over time, I found the character a bit too versatile and so I stopped playing him.  I am suggesting that you do not need to get too clever on your brick's power set.  Just make sure that you have the stuff that he really needs down and then cover the rest with good play . ..  :)

A magical version of Superman could be done.

Note that Legend (link below) was built for 5e but could easily be updated to 6e.

http://killershrike.com/NewCircle/NewCircle.aspx

http://killershrike.com/NewCircle/Legend.HTML

This build was one of the major inspirations for my versions of Superman for 5e and 6e.

Hmm... That makes me think of THE archetypal magic-based brick, Captain Marvel (or Shazam! as they call him now). As with the abilities that the acronym, "s.h.a.z.a.m," stands for, perhaps you could take each of your mage's standard spells, and translate it into a roughly-comparable physical power. Like, your blasting-magic becomes a mighty blow (HA); an Entangle morphs into great grasping strength; a movement spell becomes extraordinary speed; magic shields become permanent invulnerability; scrying spells turn into enhanced senses; and the like. If your spells have distinctive names, your character could declare that each of his abilities is "the power of X."

I like this idea.  It also would prove a smooth transition from your current character to his new incarnation.  I would suggest that you exercise a bit of restraint on your character at first.  I once played a brick character with body control powers in a multi-power (desolidification, density increase, growth, shrinking, and stretching).  Over time, I found the character a bit too versatile and so I stopped playing him.  I am suggesting that you do not need to get too clever on your brick's power set.  Just make sure that you have the stuff that he really needs down and then cover the rest with good play . ..  :)

A brick with versatility is all the more reason for creating them with chinks in their powers like kryptonite, a magic word or a fear of fire.

HM :D

Magic brick... hmmm...

• Ritualized brick powers where spells and such are carved/inked onto his body. Individual abilities or groups of them activated by tapping into these symbols of his power. The idea being that his power has been limited and thus he had to transform them sort of thing to a more useable level. Limited use of each portion kind of thing. Thus, all the normal brick powers and more are possible, but only on a limited basis, making for more interesting play with some flavor. It doesn't have to be body stuff, it could be any conduit, really, to make this general idea work.
  • Elementals are always fun, so I like most of those ideas. Using the chinese flavor might be more fun for a change of pace. Also, if I remember correctly, another flavor includes "void" as an element to represent nothingness/emptiness, which might make for an interesting elemental type.
  • "Drawn" powers, or those deriving from taking power from other things might be interesting. Not necessarily just Drain or transfer powers, but just as a special effect. Taking on aspects of materials or spirits and the like are pretty fun.

Just some thoughts. =)

On the Green Ronin Roll Call there was one character transformed by an alchemical accident into living Mithril.  High str,  Very durable,  can be enchanted (allows you to keep some of those buff spell to use on yourself)!

I thought it was cool!

Wow...I can't believe real life has kept me away from this thread for two weeks.  I've kind of been monitoring it via the updates in my email but haven't had a chance to respond until now.

First, I want to say thanks for all the great ideas suggested here.  Just a lot of creativity.  Now that I would expect any less from a Champions community.

Second, I think we have a "winner" so to speak:

On the Green Ronin Roll Call there was one character transformed by an alchemical accident into living Mithril.  High str,  Very durable,  can be enchanted (allows you to keep some of those buff spell to use on yourself)!

I thought it was cool!

This just absolutely clicked with me.  It's basically Colossus plus magic!  Perfect.

So thank you Mr. R!!

So now here's what's percolating in my head: Standard tank strength and toughness plus a multipower with fixed slots that allows him to apply a single magical effect to himself.  Some ideas for this based on versions of his some of his current spells:

• Extra KB with HTH - based on a spell he has called Word of Rebuke that is basically just a ton of KB
  • Electrical attack added to HTH - based on his Lightning Bolt AE spell...maybe it could even be a chaining effect where the main target takes the HTH and electrical attack and then the electrical attack continues to other targets.
  • Flight - Magnetic effect that allows him to ride the Earth's magnetic field
  • Protection - Basically his shield spell which he could use when he needs extra defenses
  • Illusion - Create duplicate images of himself (he currently has a spell called Mirror Men that can make duplicate images of anyone so this would be a self-only version).

Of course not all of his spells would transfer.  His main Eldritch Bolt is basically replaced by his high STR HTH.  His sleep spell is too external and wasn't effective anyway.  He loses his Gateway teleport ability...not a big deal as it was pretty limited.  

Some other new ideas not based on current spells:

• Damage shield - He can heat or electrify his metal skin or add spikes or blades to it creating a damage shield
  • Stretching, Shape Shifting and/or Growth - he can make his metal body malleable
  • Reflection vs light attacks - makes his metalic skin reflective 

Not sure if I like all these ideas yet but I've got a basic framework to work from now.  When I get some more time I'm going to go back through this thread to see if any of the suggestions would fit or could be adapted to this whole "enchanting my Mithril body" idea.

And, of course, I am open to any other suggestions that would fit this idea...

How about instead of images, he can breathe limited life into metal objects. The metal can be nearly anything but once brought to life it is coated in a thin polishing of mythril. This would in effect be a variable summon that requires a focus.

Or you could focus that even more and have him create real duplicates of himself with the same special effect.

Maybe get some of the automaton advantages like 'no vitals'

A flash attack from lighting himself up.

Various life support might be needed, too.

La Rose.