Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mostly I picture Superman flying by folks stuck in coach. They look out the window and see him smirk, yawn, and stretch easily. The hero rolls on his back and flies as if taking a comfy nap while the passenger staring at him gets his chair kicked from behind by some screaming brat, his own legs killing him as they're being asked to fit in a space that would make engineers from Tokyo go "That's not much room."

And that's how anti-alien bigots are born.

Comic-book capes exist purely to look cool. They don't interfere with the activities of supers in any way, except for the rare plot-driven instances when a writer wants them to.

The trailers for BvS have really driven this point home. Batman's fighting style in the most recent trailer completely ignores the presence of his cape, and when he crashes through that warehouse window his cape spreads in the classic bat-wing silhouette. That cape is almost certainly CGI in those action shots. The way Superman's cape is often shown flowing and fluttering in the wind also has to be CGI. Then we have the Vision's eerie cape in Age of Ultron, which they don't even pretend to animate like real natural cloth.

OTOH I remember a mini-documentary on the making of the first Thor movie, in which the costume designer described the experiments they went through to develop a real practical cape for Thor that would look and move like what's in the comics. I'm sure there are clips of Chris Hemsworth tripping over it from time to time; but for the most part it seems to stay out of his way remarkably well.

Dunno.  He does have an 'average everyman' look to him and Man of Steel wasn't that popular.  Plus there's lots of things to see in Times Square...maybe everyone was looking at that billboard monstrosity instead of the man below it.

Honestly, I enjoyed him best as Albert Mondego myself.  Thought he was perfect in that role.

Mostly I picture Superman flying by folks stuck in coach. They look out the window and see him smirk, yawn, and stretch easily. The hero rolls on his back and flies as if taking a comfy nap while the passenger staring at him gets his chair kicked from behind by some screaming brat, his own legs killing him as they're being asked to fit in a space that would make engineers from Tokyo go "That's not much room."

And that's how anti-alien bigots are born.

You're obviously mistaking him for Johnny Storm tormenting Ben Grimm.

FWIW, here's something I posted on my FB page a few days ago that seemed to resonate with folks:

A note to my fellow comic book nerds who are planning to go see Batman v Superman, despite having spent the last 3 years bitching about how awful Man Of Steel was, and despite being pretty sure this one's going to be just as bad.

I'm not here to judge.

I mean, I get it: it's Superman fighting Batman on the big screen and it's got Wonder Woman in it and there's no way you're missing that shit. I know, I'm there too.

But I do have a modest suggestion: Don't go opening weekend.

Heresy, I know! But the thing is, Hollywood doesn't actually care if we *like* their movies or not. They just care if we *see* them or not. And they especially care if we go opening weekend or not, because Hollywood judges the success of blockbuster movies largely on how big they open.

So if you pay to see B-v-S on opening weekend, you are literally telling WB and Zack Snyder "Please make more movies like this! I couldn't wait to see it, and I can't wait to give you more of my money for the next movie like this you make!" It doesn't matter how much you rant afterwards about how the movie was a betrayal of everything these characters stand for; you already gave them your money, and that's all they care about.

But if you wait a week or two to go see it? That's basically telling Hollywood "Yeah, it was okay but I wasn't dying to go see it, maybe if you changed a few things I'd be more eager for the next one, but no biggie." Same money, but very different perceived message.

Plus, little-known fact: it's the exact same movie even if you see it a week or two after it comes out. I know, right?! Yeah, you may have to dodge spoilers for a week or two, but if it helps send a message to WB that their movies could be better? Totes worth it.

The more you know...

FWIW, here's something I posted on my FB page a few days ago that seemed to resonate with folks:

A note to my fellow comic book nerds who are planning to go see Batman v Superman, despite having spent the last 3 years bitching about how awful Man Of Steel was, and despite being pretty sure this one's going to be just as bad.

I'm not here to judge.

I mean, I get it: it's Superman fighting Batman on the big screen and it's got Wonder Woman in it and there's no way you're missing that shit. I know, I'm there too.

But I do have a modest suggestion: Don't go opening weekend.

Heresy, I know! But the thing is, Hollywood doesn't actually care if we *like* their movies or not. They just care if we *see* them or not. And they especially care if we go opening weekend or not, because Hollywood judges the success of blockbuster movies largely on how big they open.

So if you pay to see B-v-S on opening weekend, you are literally telling WB and Zack Snyder "Please make more movies like this! I couldn't wait to see it, and I can't wait to give you more of my money for the next movie like this you make!" It doesn't matter how much you rant afterwards about how the movie was a betrayal of everything these characters stand for; you already gave them your money, and that's all they care about.

But if you wait a week or two to go see it? That's basically telling Hollywood "Yeah, it was okay but I wasn't dying to go see it, maybe if you changed a few things I'd be more eager for the next one, but no biggie." Same money, but very different perceived message.

Plus, little-known fact: it's the exact same movie even if you see it a week or two after it comes out. I know, right?! Yeah, you may have to dodge spoilers for a week or two, but if it helps send a message to WB that their movies could be better? Totes worth it.

The more you know...

I actually rather liked Man of Steel, aside from some issues with the story. I probably wont see it opening weekend because of the crowds, but I probably will see it 2cnd week out.

He didn't go out of his way to fight in populated areas.  He simply fought the villains where they actually were.

He deliberately flew from empty cornfields to the heart of Smallville, then when the Kryptonians came after him specifically, he throws Non into the biggest explosive area in the town.  In Metropolis, Zod is insanely trying to kill Kal-El NOT humans, yet he continually flies Zod into buildings instead of taking 2 seconds to fly out over the water...THEN is upset when Zod uses civilians against him at the end after Supes also bears some culpability that now thousands of people are likely dead.  Protecting innocents and teammates is at the core of Superman's character.  For example, Reeve's Superman left the battle in Superman 2, even appearing cowardly, rather than keep flailing uselessly and possibly getting more people hurt.

Again, I liked the movie overall, but I'm not exaggerating when I say I started cringing during that final fight.

PS:  I understand the destruction will be focused on in this next movie.  I am interested in seeing how this Supes deals with bearing responsibility for his actions and if he is MUCH more careful in the future.

The Kryptonian machinery had been destroyed and any chance of Krypton returning was ended...the damage to Metropolis at that point was not Supes fault.  After that Zod challenges Supes to a personal battle that destroyed half the city.  Kal-El could have escaped and drawn him away several times, yet instead engages him multiple times toppling buildings.

I could've handled the "he did the best he could" excuse if the filmmakers had made even a slight attempt to show him *try* to lure Zod away and it not work. Or make any attempt to save a single civilian that didn't work for the Daily Planet. Or y'know, even look like he was remotely aware that thousands of people just died and that was somehow a bad thing...

[deep breaths]

Sorry. I realized 10-15 minutes in when Pa Kent chewed him out for saving a busload of kids that I wasn't actually watching a Superman movie, and just tried to enjoy it for whatever the **** it was. But apart from whether or not it was a good Superman movie, I still thought it was a shitty movie period. YMMV of course.