Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, folks tend to forget Marvel Disney's little misteps and unpopular moves. Now, some of those I actually liked.... I ENJOYED IM3. I LIKED Thor: Dark World... but many other fans didn't it seems.

What fans like is irrelevant. Allow me to repost:

xKpmv6E.png

IM3, the "flop", was the highest grossing IM film and is approximately the third highest grossing comic film on this chart. Thor 2 outperformed Thor 1. MoS is well into the black. A WB exec looking at the purple line on this chart will quickly determine that grimdark is the way to go, without understanding that just because Blades and Dark Knights are grimdark doesn't mean other superheroes ought to be.

Did I say IM3 was a flop? *Looks over post* Nope.

I said it was considered mistep.

What fans like is irrelevant. Allow me to repost:

IM3, the "flop", was the highest grossing IM film and is approximately the third highest grossing comic film on this chart. Thor 2 outperformed Thor 1. MoS is well into the black. A WB exec looking at the purple line on this chart will quickly determine that grimdark is the way to go, without understanding that just because Blades and Dark Knights are grimdark doesn't mean other superheroes ought to be.

I'm not sure what's up with the quote marks around the word "flop" regarding IM3. The only one I named specifically as a flop was the latest FF movie. 

THAT aside, I can certainly see your point on how an exec would measure $ucce$$ :)

Well they all made money, including the ghastly Catwoman (they play tricks with accounting, and later stuff like rentals, sales, and streaming make more later).  But from the perspective of the studios, movies like Captain America are losers so only the long-term plan of Marvel keeps properties like that alive.

I suspect Civil War is going to be challenged to make money.  but that could just be me hating the story.

The public loves and adores Marvel/Disney right now, and Cap is riding high off a critically acclaimed Winter Soldier (Which honestly, I do think deserved every bit of praise it got).  I think the opening weekend on that one (CA: CW) will be tremendous, and if the writing is even moderately good, it'll do very well indeed.

And I say that as someone who may not go to see it because the Comic Book Series offended me on almost every level as a fan

Winter Soldier did better than 5 other MCU films and worse than 4. That pretty much puts it smack dab in the middle of the success plot for Marvel. Given all the characters in Civil War, there is no reason to think it won't perform well in theaters.

WB is stuck with the paralyzing realization that only Batman films produce impressive box office results for them. It is no wonder, then, that they [a] reboot the character every decade, and think only "dark" comic book movies will succeed. The truth is that they simply don't know what to do with their other properties. GL had a welcome cheerfulness to it but failed to connect with audiences. MoS had an appropriately large budget but someone forgot to tell Goyer that he wasn't writing a Punisher movie. And Hollywood as a whole has a crippling fear of making action movies with a female lead.

Of course, if BvS does well at the box office, despite early criticism, it will bolster WB's plans to go forward with the grimdark Justice League movie and we'll be having this conversation all over again in two years.

IM3, the "flop", was the highest grossing IM film and is approximately the third highest grossing comic film on this chart.

Great chart! But we should note that the chart shows gross as a percentage of production costs. (That's why Deadpool is so high; it's "only" the 12th highest grossing, but they made it on a shoestring budget.)

Now gross compared to production costs isn't a bad way of looking at it, but as others have pointed out "production" costs whatever the studio wants it to, so it's not like those are reliable numbers, whereas actual gross is easier to measure/confirm. Also there's the prestige factor of making a high-grossing film that overshines how much it cost. So while gross/cost isn't a bad way, it's only one way.

The top 5 highest grossing superhero films are:

1. Avengers
  2. Dark Knight
  3. Spider-Man
  4. Spider-Man 2
  5. Dark Knight Rises

So it's misleading to say IM3 is the 3rd highest grossing film; it's actually 7th. And not all those films are grimdark; literally just the Batman ones.

(Still a great & informative chart tho - don't get me wrong!)

Cool.  Now that I've lowered my expectations for this flick completely, I will now see it this weekend and probably like it.

I love it when a plan comes together.

21K people on IMDB have given it a rating of 8.2. 

It seems that fans love it, and the critics hate it/like it.