Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what i've heard, both Superman and Batman have no problem

killing.

Eff this film and the sentiments that made such changes popular.

If Superman has no problem killing, then Batman should last all of 5 seconds.  :)

PS:  Unless he's the mind-numbingly stupid Superman from the Dark Knight Returns comic.  Y'know, the comic Snyder supposedly adores.

The more reviews and spoilers I read about this movie, the more depressed I get. I'm simply astonished at the creative choices being made here. Even the good reviews have some very negative things to say about the movie's tone and pacing. I simply cannot understand putting these priceless properties in the hands of executives that clearly hate them. It makes no sense at all.

The DC death throes are horrible to watch. Someone like Bill Gates needs to step in and buy DC's properties  away from these morons at WB.

I simply cannot understand putting these priceless properties in the hands of executives that clearly hate them.

I think that's the key point for me: if you so obviously hate everything about the concept of superheroes, maybe you should make something other than superhero movies? Of course I could say the same thing about some very popular comic book writers & publishers over the years...

I think it's pretty clear Marvel has gone to great lengths to ensure the people making their movies actually have some affinity for the source material (while not being slaves to the source material). I was listening to the Director's Commentary on the first Thor movie the other day, and Kenneth Brannaugh is either a huge comic book nerd, or else he was well briefed and reading off a script: he actually contrasted Straczynski's run on the title with "classic Jack Kirby Thor." #ageofthegeekbaby

I remember an interview with Branagh from just before the release of the first Thor movie, in which he acknowledged he wasn't much of a comic reader in his youth... with the notable exception of Thor's title. He said that he considered its blending of modern and sci-fi elements with classic mythology brilliant, and appreciated the Shakespearean family squabbles with dynastic repercussions among the ruling house of Asgard. Considering Branagh's film making career, none of that should be surprising. ;)

Among all the interviews I've heard from people who have worked for Marvel Studios in some capacity, even those who weren't familiar with the source material before being hired, one point is brought up again and again: the people who produce these movies know, respect, and love this world and these characters, and want to translate them to the screen with the essences of their comic incarnations intact, even if they change some of the details of their backgrounds and stories.

Among all the interviews I've heard from people who have worked for Marvel Studios in some capacity, even those who weren't familiar with the source material before being hired, one point is brought up again and again: the people who produce these movies know, respect, and love this world and these characters, and want to translate them to the screen with the essences of their comic incarnations intact, even if they change some of the details of their backgrounds and stories.

Exactly. And even if they're only saying that because they are contractually obligated to, the outcome is the same.

Not surprising because he's a DKR groupie.  He's waited 3 years for his comic book joygasm to come to life.  DKR sucked.  Period.  F*ck you, Snyder and your love of crap.  I wait all my life to see Batman and Superman on screen together and I get the absolute worst version to emulate.

There's always a gamut of sentiment expressed in critics' reviews. I've been sifting through a number of online reviewers I respect, who try to provide balanced assessments; and their consensus seems to be, "Good, but not Great." Some parts are terrific, others don't work so well, and the whole thing isn't as coherent as it could or should be.

But it may be some consolation to Mr. Affleck above, that his work in the role of Bruce Wayne/Batman is almost universally being heralded as one of the best elements in the movie. That augurs well for a proposed solo Batman film.

I remember an interview with Branagh from just before the release of the first Thor movie, in which he acknowledged he wasn't much of a comic reader in his youth... with the notable exception of Thor's title. He said that he considered its blending of modern and sci-fi elements with classic mythology brilliant, and appreciated the Shakespearean family squabbles with dynastic repercussions among the ruling house of Asgard. Considering Branagh's film making career, none of that should be surprising. ;)

Echoing this with the example of Josh Brolin who is playing Thanos:

#1 from an interview:

Then I talked to Kevin Feige, ultimately. But there's something about them that's so insular and so geeky and so real. I loved it -- because I've turned down a lot of those types of movies. Not Marvel, but I've turned down a lot of those types of movies. When they started telling me the story about them getting together in Palm Springs, nine of them flipping burgers and talking about what Thanos was going to do and going, 'What do you think?' like, 'Captain America's going to show up here!' Then, 'Oh my God, what if the Hulk came in at that point?' and all that -- I love that sh**. I love it, because those guys are absolutely saturated with that world, and they love story.

And Marvel Studios care so much they send Josh a "care package"

When I first said yes, they sent me so much frickin' research. I was in the middle of doing Everest, and I was focusing more on Thanos than I was on Everest. But it's an exciting prospect, truly."

#2 On Conan "Probably the greatest decision I've ever made, in all seriousness..."

300 is the Zack Snyder-directed movie I enjoyed the most. But there he was closely following the Frank Miller story, which gave him a focus he seems to lack when more directly responsible for the content of his film.

FWIW 300 on the Rotten Tomatoes site got 60% approval from the critics, 89% from the fans.