Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anything involving the phrase "crazed marauding murdering alien Superman" is at best very loosely related to the character I enjoy. Only two of five words in that sentence "alien" and "Superman" seem to have any basis in the traditional description now commonly accepted (i.e. not part of some comedy meme like "superman is a dick").

Batman v. Superman wasn't a terrible movie, but it was just not as good as it could have been.  There were so many things that I found stupid or that took me out of the film that it balanced out the really strong scenes.

The murdering Batman is an issue if you think that takes away from the base character.  There are reasons why he would be acting as he does (though, admittedly, they are not dealt with).

That is one of the biggest issues with the film.  The motivations of most of the characters (excluding Batman) are not fleshed out. 

Good action and the film looked great.  Except...

I actually hated the Batman v. Superman fight.  I hated the set up to the fight, with Lex having kidnapped Superman's mom and then saying that he would kill her unless Supes brought him the head of the Bat.  Now, I don't understand this...Superman has been shown several times that he can hear Lois from anywhere...couldn't he have just listened for his mother to say something and then find her that same way?  I did not buy that set up at all. 

Then, Supes arrived in Gotham and instead of immediately saying to Batman that Lex kidnapped his mother, he starts walking at him saying he needed to talk.  Batman wasn't having any of it and launched an attack.  Even after avoiding the first one, Superman doesn't come right out and say what he should...which could have avoided the entire thing. 

Hermit mentioned the "Martha" thing, which I absolutely hated.  It made Batman go from wanting to kill this guy to being buddy buddy with him.  I really hated that part.

There was not enough Batman v. Superman in a movie called Batman v. Superman.  They fight once.  They only speak to each other one other time (unless you count the Bruce Wayne/Clark Kent conversation.)

Lex Luthor somehow knows both Superman and Batman's secret identities, without any explanation.  Superman also knows Batman's secret identity without any explanation. 

Wonder Woman was used well, but I can't tell yet whether Gal Gadot will be able to carry a movie by herself.  The action with Wonder Woman was top notch.

Anyone who approved that second trailer should be immediately fired as it spoiled so much of this movie.  The whole Doomsday thing could have been a HUGE reveal if it had not been spoiled.  I truly believe that second trailer affected my enjoyment of the movie.

Hated the shoehorning of the other Justice League members into this film.  Thought both the Aquaman and Cyborg footage was ridiculous.  Each file had its own little icon, apparently designed by Lexcorp.  Made no sense

Whereas Hermit thought the first twenty minutes was "choppy" (I think that was the term, excuse me if it is incorrect), I thought it was a very effective start.  The whole Bruce Wayne in Metropolis as it was being devastated in the Superman/Zod fight was very strong.  However, it was another issue with the film... there were many really great scenes that did not go anywhere after.

Example...when Superman went to the capitol and it was blown up, killing everyone, but Superman... that scene (which was really cool and shocking) was then never used again in the film.  I am afraid that this wa just another example of Zack Snyder's style of style over substance.

I thought Ben Affleck was very good, especially as Bruce Wayne, despite the murdering (which Zack Snyder said was more like "manslaughter")

Jeremy Irons as Alfred was great.  Amy Adams as Lois Lane...not so much.  She was doing so many dumb things...and somehow knew things that happened without actually being there.  Is she a psychic? 

This really felt like it could have been three or four separate movies and that Warner Brothers crammed everything together in order to get to Justice League sooner.  I think they could have done a much better job if they hadn't tried to tell a bunch of stories together.  I don't know if they are just desperate to catch up to Marvel Studios or what, but they do not seem to be too concerned about the story involved here.  Yes, Batman v Superman will make a mint this weekend.  So do  the Transformers movies, which is what I would compare this to.

I did give this 3 out of 5 stars in my own review, but I could see that score dropping a bit. 

The entire premise of the film is reversed, it should have been older, wiser Batman with experience teaching crazed marauding murdering alien Superman to calm down, care about life, and stand for something besides self defense.

I'm actually glad they didn't go that way, given the options between the two. A jaded Batman who has lost his way finding it again by getting too close the edge and reclaims his soul appeals to me, but I can certainly understand why some folks wouldn't like his starting point for it.

I'm not sure how the Justice League in the movies will be portrayed on the killing angle. In the Nu52 introduction they were all pretty okay with killing parademons left and right. I'm hoping for a step towards the light for them all, but we'll see.

I did give this 3 out of 5 stars in my own review, but I could see that score dropping a bit. 

I know some folks who , like you, liked the twenty minutes of choppy (Yep, that was the term I used, thanks for checking) stuff precisely because they thought it felt very much like a comic book , pages turning from one scene to the next. I don't think it worked for most non comic readers, but I'm glad it worked for you and others.

Oh, and Jesse Eisenberg... terrible as Lex Luthor.  He would have made a pretty decent Riddler or Toyman.  I didn't hate his performance.  It was just the wrong one for Lex Luthor.

I think you're nicer about Eisenberg than I was by a notch, but yeah, he was playing the wrong villain.

I laughed each time the film mentioned that they were fighting in areas where there were no people.  It happened twice.  And Wonder Woman specifically asked Batman why he led Doomsday back toward the city. 

Desperately trying to avoid the criticism from Man of Steel. 

I thought it was really funny.

I laughed each time the film mentioned that they were fighting in areas where there were no people.  It happened twice.  And Wonder Woman specifically asked Batman why he led Doomsday back toward the city. 

Desperately trying to avoid the criticism from Man of Steel. 

I thought it was really funny.

My own thought was "Gadzooks, they CAN learn" :)