Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bigdamnhero might be onto something:

Ayn Rand’s warped superheroes: Of course Zack Snyder’s vision of “greatness” owes everything to “The Fountainhead”

http://www.salon.com/2016/03/18/ayn_rands_warped_superheroes_of_course_zack_snyders_vision_of_greatness_owes_everything_to_the_fountainhead/

'Batman v. Superman': Married Creative Duo on That R-Rated DVD, Plans for DC Superhero Universe
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/batman-v-superman-married-creative-874799

ZACK We have The Last Photograph that I've been working on for a long time. It's a small, sort of weird project about a war photogra­pher in Afghanistan. I have been working on The Fountainhead. I've always felt like The Fountainhead was such a thesis on the creative process and what it is to create something. Warner Bros. owns [Ayn Rand’s] script and I’ve just been working on that a little bit.

BTW, I read that Snyder is supposed to be a Randian and has been tapped to direct the Fountainhead movie. If so, that could explain why his vision of Superman* is a selfish asshole who feels no duty to anyone but himself.

* At least in MoS, since I haven't seen BvS.

Wow. An Ayn Rand disciple? That makes his movies so much more clear, radical devotion to the self and egotism as an inherent good.

Saw it this morning. Personally I loved it - I didn't feel like there was a single wrong note. I liked it as much as Avengers, maybe more.

As much as Avengers, maybe more? 

Ok... this is awkward, I have to go ask the mob for a pitchfork...

;)

Seriously, glad you liked especially since I liked it myself. Surprised you liked it that much, but cool.

As much as Avengers, maybe more? 

Ok... this is awkward, I have to go ask the mob for a pitchfork...

;)

Seriously, glad you liked especially since I liked it myself. Surprised you liked it that much, but cool.

I am more of a DC guy overall than Marvel - so all these characters I have more familiarity with, and a deeper connection to. So all the little "DCU" bits that are tossed in, I got. Half the time on marvel movies I find out about comic ties to second and third tier characters in a movie by reading forums and such. Seeing Flash, Aquamarine, Cyborg in their cameos really just made me smile.

I watched Man of Steel last night, and it was actually better than I remember. There were nuances and motivation that I missed in the theater - like Pa Kent wasn't "Don't show yourself at all" it was "Don't show yourself until you and the world are ready" huge difference in tone. MoS moved up in my top 5 or so for superhero movies and Dawn of Justice is above that.

Wow. An Ayn Rand disciple? That makes his movies so much more clear, radical devotion to the self and egotism as an inherent good.

Eh. I wouldn't call myself a disciple, but I really like Atlas Shrugged and The Fountainhead. On the other hand, I am capable of recognizing that they're not an appropriate model for a SUPERMAN story....

I watched Man of Steel last night, and it was actually better than I remember. There were nuances and motivation that I missed in the theater - like Pa Kent wasn't "Don't show yourself at all" it was "Don't show yourself until you and the world are ready" huge difference in tone.

Hmm...okay I'll grant that's a bit more nuanced than I remembered it.

BTW, I read that Snyder is supposed to be a Randian and has been tapped to direct the Fountainhead movie. If so, that could explain why his vision of Superman* is a selfish asshole who feels no duty to anyone but himself.

* At least in MoS, since I haven't seen BvS.

In BvS, Superman is not grimdark and is actually pretty close to the standard version of Superman.  He is self-sacrificing, worried about his role as 'savior', a little disturbed by humanities' self-destructiveness, and angry about an ultra-violent, seemingly out of control bat-vigilante who brands criminals.

In BvS, Superman is not grimdark and is actually pretty close to the standard version of Superman.  He is self-sacrificing, worried about his role as 'savior', a little disturbed by humanities' self-destructiveness, and angry about an ultra-violent, seemingly out of control bat-vigilante who brands criminals.

Sounds like they moved him a bit lighter, but still had to make Batman extra-mega-grimdark to contrast him. I can see where the choices they made in MOS could've backed them into that corner.

Sounds like they moved him a bit lighter, but still had to make Batman extra-mega-grimdark to contrast him. I can see where the choices they made in MOS could've backed them into that corner.

Snyder shouldn't let his own personal beliefs affect his characters.  It reminds me of when Joss Whedon, an atheist, received flack from other atheists about Captain America's line in the Avengers - "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."  He defended it by saying, "That's certainly not what I believe, but that's exactly what Captain America would say."

Snyder shouldn't let his own personal beliefs affect his characters.  It reminds me of when Joss Whedon, an atheist, received flack from other atheists about Captain America's line in the Avengers - "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."  He defended it by saying, "That's certainly not what I believe, but that's exactly what Captain America would say."

I respected the hell out of Whedon for that. Of course, I'm a believer, so that might bias me, but I smiled at it because it totally did fit the character and was amusing besides. 

Heck, despite my beliefs, I'm a big fan of Mr. Terrific when he's used properly, and that guy is usually portrayed as an Atheist and I think it was a smart move on the writers as a way to give him another dimension. You want diversity in comics, show superheroes of different belief systems who know how to work together with mutual respect despite their differing views. Now that shouldn't be all they talk about in down time, but a line every few issues (or one in a movie) isn't going to kill anyone

One of my favorite lines from that movie.

One thing watching MoS and Dawn of Justice - the superman portrayed in them is shy. He spent he life hiding what he was, and now is famous. The whole seen when they all bowed down to him in the newer film, he read sort of like "umm. oooahkay.. what I am .. wahat.. maybe they'll just stop.. well this is akward" more that anything else. this superman is not the perfect ideal that many like him to be (he was that in Superman: The Movie - my favorate take on superman by far) but he is very human with flaws.

On of the big complaints thrown out about superman is he is perfect, he has no flaws etc. This Superman is very human. That may be what I liked.

Yeah, I am not as much bothered by the movie's tone as I am by the complete absence of a coherent and interesting story.

I don't think we saw the same movie.

There was a huge commentary about 2 men (Bats and Lex) that were helpless as kids, and did everything in their life to make sure they were not helpless again. Then along comes superman and completely makes them helpless again - the whole "knowledge is power, I have knowledge but am powerless" thing from lex and the "The world only makes sense when you make it " came from Batman - Les was driven to re-establish his worldview on the world again.

So Lex manipulates Superman and batman into fighting, and really manipulates Bats (likely for a year before the movie started), to end up in this situation. Then they realize it, and then BOOM have to deal with Doomsday (obviously Lex back up plan).I personally felt it held together as a story, with a great commentary (as mentioned) with lots of good characterization, nice easter eggs, and some good set up for the Justice League.

Now that a few people have seen it...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO THE TIME TRAVEL GUY WAS???  Hermit guessed maybe Flash or Rip Hunter, however he was dressed almost like Adam Strange or something...he had a weird helmet at least.  I dunno if he was trying to warn about Darkseid or something so maybe it was Orion or Mister Miracle

Now that a few people have seen it...

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO THE TIME TRAVEL GUY WAS???  Hermit guessed maybe Flash or Rip Hunter, however he was dressed almost like Adam Strange or something...he had a weird helmet at least.  I dunno if he was trying to warn about Darkseid or something so maybe it was Orion or Mister Miracle

Flash - the helmet was reminiscent of a flash costume I've seen in an alternate future or elseworlds. It was a red costume/armor. I firmly believe it is the Flash

Yup. I did some internet searching, and Lord M is right.

That scene has me a bit worried about the direction they are going...

It makes it sound like Superman is going to go bad, perhaps as Darkseid's brainwashed patsy as we've seen in other comics/cartoons. Too Soon!  I think we don't know THIS Superman well enough. It loses omph if he's hated a lot in two movies only to become the evil general in the third... imo anyway. So I hope I'm reading that warning wrong.