Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Yup. I did some internet searching, and Lord M is right.

That scene has me a bit worried about the direction they are going...

It makes it sound like Superman is going to go bad, perhaps as Darkseid's brainwashed patsy as we've seen in other comics/cartoons. Too Soon!  I think we don't know THIS Superman well enough. It loses omph if he's hated a lot in two movies only to become the evil general in the third... imo anyway. So I hope I'm reading that warning wrong.

We aren't sure what "he" or "right about" could be referring to - it could be Luthor, or that Bats trusted Clark. It came right after the sequence of seeing the future. I'm thinking it is a fake out. We have scary dream, then flash shows up and says "you are right about him". I don't think of a direct connection between dream and Flash.  Could lead to a misunderstanding happening later. IIRC the papers didn't fly around until Flash showed up after dream, not during the apocalypse stuff.

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I respected the hell out of Whedon for that. Of course, I'm a believer, so that might bias me, but I smiled at it because it totally did fit the character and was amusing besides.

Heck, despite my beliefs, I'm a big fan of Mr. Terrific when he's used properly, and that guy is usually portrayed as an Atheist and I think it was a smart move on the writers as a way to give him another dimension. You want diversity in comics, show superheroes of different belief systems who know how to work together with mutual respect despite their differing views. Now that shouldn't be all they talk about in down time, but a line every few issues (or one in a movie) isn't going to kill anyone

I'm an agnostic and my wife is a pagan. Neither one of us were bothered by Cap's line because it fit his character perfectly.

On of the big complaints thrown out about superman is he is perfect, he has no flaws etc.

This is typically stated by people that have cursory knowledgeable about Kal-El. In other words: they either read one comic featuring him a long time ago or don't read comics at all.

Saw it today. I thought they did a good job. I was confused for a long time by the fact that

Lex seemed to know who both Bats and Supes were.

Still not thrilled with Eisenberg's Lex, but he wasn't horrid. I just felt he was a little to Cackling Villain type for me. I look forward to the Wonder Woman movie and really thought Gadot pulled off both Diana Prince and WW,

Her smile during the battle with Doomsday was great and really fit what they have been doing with her character the last few years.

Saw the movie yesterday and it wasn't bad but could have been so much better.

Too much of the plot hinges on Lex's far reaching power and genius

He plays Batman like he's been his shrink of 20 years.

The military gives him unrestricted and unsupervised access to Zod and the ship

He figures out secret id's like crossword puzzles. ( He should be smart enough for this but its glaring that he does and the government is clueless.)

Batman has to be OOC violent, stupid( he has no knowledge of the other metahumans, hunh?) and a near psychotic a$$hole for the plot to advance.

He won't kill Joker or Ras but is willing to murder Superman on the chance he'll do something bad someday.

That said, I liked the movie overall. It could have used more happy moments ( Bathtub scene is the only one.) and I'd have liked to see the fight vs Doomsday instead of figures moving in dust clouds. 

Saw the movie yesterday and it wasn't bad but could have been so much better.

Too much of the plot hinges on Lex's far reaching power and genius

He plays Batman like he's been his shrink of 20 years.

The military gives him unrestricted and unsupervised access to Zod and the ship

He figures out secret id's like crossword puzzles. ( He should be smart enough for this but its glaring that he does and the government is clueless.)

Batman has to be OOC violent, stupid( he has no knowledge of the other metahumans, hunh?) and a near psychotic a$$hole for the plot to advance.

He won't kill Joker or Ras but is willing to murder Superman on the chance he'll do something bad someday.

That said, I liked the movie overall. It could have used more happy moments ( Bathtub scene is the only one.) and I'd have liked to see the fight vs Doomsday instead of figures moving in dust clouds.

I agree with much of this. That story was a mess. It felt disjointed. The action scenes were great of course (Snyders strength) but they needed a completely new story. Chris Terrio should have started from scratch instead of trying to fix Goyers unfixable mess. Egads.

And I hate to say it because I love his action scenes, but I dont thinnk Snyder is going to be the man to helm. Justice league. Unless he really concentrates on learning to direct the human element better. He did great with Dawn of the Dead remake...but that was a James Gunn screenplay.

Maybe Guillermo del Toro?

I like Superman. I like Batman. I do not like Superman + Batman.

I didn't like the team-ups or "versus" cross-overs in the comics. They were marketing ploys rather than working stories. 

That said, I did enjoy the old Justice League when Batman and Superman share the spotlight with other characters.

But then, that's not a Batman + Superman dynamic. Its an ensemble with more going on. Especially JLI.

Even the Bats + Wondy dynamic has more to make it compelling (though, honestly, Bats + Guy Gardner is the best...).

ONE PUNCH. Nuff Said.

And, Zack Snyder? For Superman? He's the absolute wrong man for this film. The films he's done well with had a cynical edge.

That's not Big Blue.

I'm putting my rant in spoiler tags because it is probably going to go into such material.  Here it goes...

WHAT THE [expletive deleted] DC/Warner?!?!?!?!

Why the hell can't you do a proper DCU movie series?  The f***ing Death of Superman storyline?  SERIOUSLY?!?!?!  This is something that should have been built up to with several Superman movies, several Justice League movies, and well after the war with Darkseid and the forces of Apocalypse.  In the words of Angry Joe, "You done f***ed it up!"

Warner's incompetence in hiring someone who KNOWS these characters and who knows the greater DC universe, how it all fits together and who has a central vision for the direction of the DC cinematic universe is going to sink these films.  Marvel has Kevin Feige, and while there are rumors of trouble between the various directors of the films and mr. Feige not allowing them complete creative freedom...GOOD!  They aren't supposed to have creative freedom.  They are playing in a shared world with rules and a very strong continuity that must be followed.  Any director working on a Marvel film has to know that going in.  The same should apply here at DC and Warner.  It is now painfully obvious to me that Warner has the wrong team in charge of this franchise.  Chris Nolan is not the right producer.  Sure, he made some good Batman films, but how much does he know about the DC universe as a whole?  How much does he love these characters?  Did Warner just put him in charge of this because Nolan's Batman trilogy made them a ton of money and they were hoping lightning would strike a 4th and 5th time?

And David Goyer....get rid of him completely!  Was it his idea to do the death of superman storyline?  Maybe him and Snyder conspiring together?  NO!  NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Chris Terrio should have did a completely new storyline, not just a soft rewrite.  I could have written a better movie in my sleep.  They could have even kept the Batman v Superman angle.  I was fine with that part.  But what they should have done was made the end villian BIZARRO instead of Doomsday.  Not killed Superman.  And elude to the coming invasion of Apocalypse and Darkseid's forces prompting the Triad to go looking for the other Metas to form the Justice League.  From that point on, they can go with the New 52 continuity.

And the next movie is Suicide Squad?  REALLY!?!?!?  We don't know who these villains are yet!  They haven't been introduced in their respective franchises yet!  Harley, Joker and Killer Croc should appear in a Batman film first.  These other villains should be introduced in other films before appearing in Suicide Squad!  What the hell Warner?   You are doing these in the wrong gawd damn order!  

Here's how I would do it, if I were in charge of this shared universe at Warner:

Man of Steel

Batman v Superman (with Bizarro ending, not Doomsday.  Doing classic Lex Luthor and a Batman who is not a gullible idiot)

Wonder Woman (introduce the gods, and some of the wider DCU)

Batman (introduce Robin, Batgirl, Nightwing, Joker and Harley etc)

Flash

Aquaman

Green Lantern (introduce the cosmic elements of the DCU)

Justice League #1 (invasion by the forces of Apocalypse)

Suicide Squad (the villains have to be mobilized because the Justice League is busy)

Justice League #2

Wonder Woman 2

Batman 2

Green Lantern 2

Justice League #3 (revealing that Brainiac has been behind much of the problems through many of the films)

Superman #3: Death of Superman (fight with Doomsday, unleashed by Brainiac at the end of JL3 as a scorched earth tactic)

You BUILD to the death of superman storyline.  You don't START with it.  What the hell is wrong with these people?

They better have something AMAZING up their sleeves if they hope to pull this off.  But I highly doubt that is the case.  At this point, all I see at Warner is incompetence.

Sorry that was long, just had to get it off my chest.  Carry on.