Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

Quite likely.  One of the reasons we comics fans cringe I think when we see a change that appears a complete 180 from the character we knew introduced is the fear it will succeed. That the movie/tv show will not only betray the character as we knew/loved him/her, but that the taint of it will spread to the comics as well. Sometimes, of course, a new take is actually a good thing and can salvage a concept we saw as a failure, or let us appreciate said character in a new way, but we also don't want someone pissing in the well we've been drinking from happily.

I don't mind it so much...but it is a good sticking point when I don't like something.

I couldn't really stomach the X-Men movies after the first as I was put off by the gimp wear and didn't really find it compelling enough to drag myself into a theater alone to see them after my divorce...maybe this says more about me :) 

I liked the first Spiderman movie with McGuire...but I haven't seen any of the one's since.

I've been better about keeping up to date with the Avengers franchise and it's spin-offs and I get angrier with comics being (for lack of a better term) "Wrong" than I do with movies not being like the comics. I've noticed that at least in the Marvel Camp, the comics are starting to mimic the movies...and I'm not sure I hate that, but I think I do. I have issues (or, subscriptions)

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't Frank Miller draw him carrying something that looked like a sniper rifle in The Dark Knight Returns? And it was a fake-out -- turned out to be a long-range grappling gun.

If this was the same sort of thing here, it would make sense; there's plainly a strong Frank Miller influence on this movie.

I totally don't remember that bit, but I found this:

the-dark-knight-returns-frank-miller-694

Superman the Movie (1978) has a 93% on Rotten Tomatoes, 7.5/10 on IMDB. Whether it's your cup of tea or not, those are pretty decent marks for a movie.

Superman 2 drops to the "meh" range and the rest are junk. But there's at least one movie that's arguably "good" with Superman.

Batman Begins racked up 84% and 8.3/10, by way of comparison.

- The 'bleed' line would have been better saved for Doomsday.  Military heavy weapons and 3 kryptonians couldn't make him bleed, y'know?

-  Is it me or does the bat armor make him look like he's from the lego movie?  :snicker:

- I think 'aversion to guns' went out the window with the fighter plane turrets on the batmobile/death machine.

I am definitely "out of touch" with current pop culture tastes. I prefer the good old days when Batman was the hero and Bruce Wayne, the rich man about town, was just a way to explain how Batman afforded his Batcave and all his Batgear and had the free time to be Batman without the distractions of a mundane day job. I have zero interest in Bruce Wayne or his childhood trauma or his life as a billionaire industrialist.

That's also why I have little patience for the Bruce Wayne branch of the Gotham story tree; I don't care about how Bruce became Batman, least of all how Bruce navigated his childhood. None of that has anything to do with what I like/find interesting about Batman. I realize this puts me out of touch with superhero culture today, but the MCU doesn't gaze so obsessively at its characters' navels and the MCU franchise is immensely popular, so I don't think the dark, gritty aesthetic that dominates DC-based films is necessarily the only way to go.

Remember the last (OK, last that I know about, the Perez covers one) crossover with Marvel and DC?

It's funny how the movie-verses have completely flipped around the contrasting tones of the two universes.

I was just thinking that earlier today. The characters mused about that very distinction between their worlds.

But that series predated Batman Begins and the Iron Man movie, which probably established precedents in the minds of their respective parent companies as to what takes on their properties would be financially successful.

The classic comic-book-style storyline would be after the initial suspicious encounter and probable fight for both Bats and Supes to realize they've been set up and go after the person responsible (probably Lex Luthor, who loves manipulating that sort of situation). After all, it makes no sense to start the franchise with a movie in which Superman or Batman dies (or both -- they are more than capable of simultaneously killing each other).

I can't remember the last time I watched any movie that wasn't predictable. Kind of kills the suspense, but I still manage to be entertained some of the time.

That's because you are old (relatively speaking). You've seen a lot, and have a superior theory of mind that lets you mostly predict what will happen next.

I too suffer from Easilypicksupthepatternitis.

I read an article recently where the author claimed that it was virtually impossible for a superhero movie to have any sort of suspense unless it completely deconstructs the genre.

The man does not know his material... the 'completely deconstruct' has been done to the point where the return to the 'standard' is almost novel.

And, frankly, the same applies to just about every police/crime show on the air in the last 20 years big or small screen. Every genre eventually gathers its own tropes for good or ill and those who watch them regularly can make out the patterns.

Whoever wrote that article is belittling storytelling itself, he just doesn't know it.