Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[Lex] plays Batman like he's been his shrink of 20 years.

Batman has to be OOC violent, stupid( he has no knowledge of the other metahumans, hunh?) and a near psychotic a$$hole for the plot to advance.

So Snyder's Batman is not only a casual killer, he's also a gullible moron? The more I hear, the worse it sounds.

So Snyder's Batman is not only a casual killer, he's also a gullible moron? The more I hear, the worse it sounds.

Not really. It's pretty obvious that Lex has been setting this up for years, the movie just doesn't tell you that flat out, and expects you to understand it, strongly implied. Batmans has some pretty severe psych lims and Lex kept hitting them.

Somewhat.

Yes, while Lex had been setting things up for some time (18 months?) There are some things that happened that Batman would have investigated deeper which would have derailed Lex's plan. He simplh wasnt acting like the Worlds greatest detective.

Batman in the cinematic universe (and, for decades, in the comics) has not been the world's greatest detective.  He's just the man with the plan.  Detective work is hard to write and boring, better to write huge disasters and have Batman being the only guy that can figure out how to get out of them!  Its worked for Dr Who and Sherlock Holmes on the BBC, why not Batman, too!

Batman in the cinematic universe (and, for decades, in the comics) has not been the world's greatest detective.  He's just the man with the plan.  Detective work is hard to write and boring, better to write huge disasters and have Batman being the only guy that can figure out how to get out of them!  Its worked for Dr Who and Sherlock Holmes on the BBC, why not Batman, too!

The scene in Batman Begins where Bale's Bruce Wayne says (and I am most likely paraphrasing here) "Am I supposed to understand any of that?" in response to Lucius Fox explaining how he removed the fear toxin from Bruce's body made me want to say "YES!"

Damage control (or at least spin control) begins.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/warner-bros-mulls-releasing-films-881265

Quoted from the article -

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in.

Translated -

People who don't know what a good story is or WTF to do with these characters were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in.

You can do a Batman movie and have it be dark and serious.  You'll make a lot of money.  But it's hard to make a Superman movie dark and serious.  That doesn't go over well.

Warner Bros needs to realize that it's not an either/or scenario.  It isn't a choice between this:

man-of-steel-neck-break-gif.gif

and this:

riddlercarrey.jpg

The people constantly handling any DC franchise seem to want to go the "dark, gritty, and edgy" route instead of actually making films that represent the characters they have on hand.

The Marvel Movies have problems (I'm kind of checking out of the franchise at this point) but it at least varies itself a little between grim and levity. They watch like Comic Books.

DC Movies watch like existential anxiety in a poorly lit room with a dull color pallet.

Like many I think the 'vs' route was just a bad call overall. Think of all the "World's Finest" stories they could have adapted .... even Public Enemies might have had the tone they want to convey so badly.

I dont think the vs angle was all that bad of an idea. They way they lead into it makes sense. What I think was far more problematic was that

the Dark Knight Returns storyline morphed into the Death of Superman storyline and not in a very organic way either

Prophecy: this one of those movies that I will decide not to watch, but then an entertainment dolldrums will come along. I'll be so desperate that I give it a try, but within twenty minutes will turn it off and wonder how my ennui could have possibly gotten any worse.

I know Chris Reeve's approach was styled with a large dollop of camp, which wouldn't fly in a mostly-serious contemporary movie; but that's still the only performance of the character in which the "disguise" was actually believable, thanks to the physical and vocal distinctions Reeve made between the two identities. No-one not in the know would ever have associated his Clark Kent with the Man of Steel.

The guy that wrote that article also points out other aspects of Reeves' excellent portrayal.

Reeve’s Superman had that mixture of kindness, sadness, the weight of his responsibilities, a genuine curiosity about mankind, a love for what we can be, and a desire to be a friend to us even when all we seem to want to do is nuke each other.

Okay, so I have little to no interest in watching this movie. I don't like superheroes in general and especially dislike Superman. Batman is sorta meh to me. I like him when he's animated or when he's in a Nolan film. (Yeah, I said it.) Therefore I thought I would never watch this movie. But a friend asked if I want to go see it with her and another one of our friends. So I'm going to go see it on Saturday! :rockon:

:P