Batman vs. Superman: Dawn of Justice

• Replies 933
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Kofi Outlaw 12.18.2013

Up to the minute news you can trust! :D

Just pointing out the date, so that folks don't get the impression this was a last minute change that's going to further impact the release date, which has already been pushed back.

Not really a last minute change, but probably the reason it was delayed from 2015 to 2016.

I liked Man of Steel. I am looking forward to this Superman vs. Batman movie to see how Superman's arc develops. From the trailer, I am not getting the Batman as hero vibe. I am getting Batman as Punisher.

This is later in bats career after he's destroyed the lives of those who trusted him, so I think this is going to be an even less sympathetic batman than normal (if that is even possible to convey)

I liked Man of Steel. I am looking forward to this Superman vs. Batman movie to see how Superman's arc develops. From the trailer, I am not getting the Batman as hero vibe. I am getting Batman as Punisher.

If the film is supposed to contrast Bats and Supes philosophically, I wouldn't expect to see the Adam West Batman. Despite that, odds are they wind up on the same side after two hours.

Okay, so I finally got around to watching the trailer and reading the thread.

Is it bad that I have basically no interest whatsoever in seeing this movie?

Same. DC Cinematic Universe is dystopian. It is like they took their cues from Nolan's Batman film series & Watchman, which they might have actually done.

Bat v Sups seems like it will be a good movie. I did not watch the superman movie that led to this. But assuming the reviews aren't horrid, I will watch the bat movie.

Speaking of the DCCU, I just saw the Suicide Squad trailer. I am completely unimpressed by this. That doesn't mean it will be bad, just that I saw nothing of appeal to me. Will Smith seema like a sympathetic anti-hero (not what I want), Harley seems largely uninspired, and Leto's Joke seems like a real drag to watch. I got no emotional joy from hearing his one line in the trailer and that is bad. The line ia quite good and I feel like even I, Foreign Orchid, could have done a better job at delievering it. But at least one of my Joker Fan-girl friends seemed to love that trailer and Leto's Joker especially so I may have to accept this as just another DC production that I will not watch. Too bad, because I like my heroes gritty.

Foreign Orchid.

PS, I like the Lex Luther of this movie - even the wig. I hope it is just a wig though.

Bat v Sups seems like it will be a good movie. I did not watch the superman movie that led to this. But assuming the reviews aren't horrid, I will watch the bat movie.

Speaking of the DCCU, I just saw the Suicide Squad trailer. I am completely unimpressed by this. That doesn't mean it will be bad, just that I saw nothing of appeal to me. Will Smith seema like a sympathetic anti-hero (not what I want), Harley seems largely uninspired, and Leto's Joke seems like a real drag to watch. I got no emotional joy from hearing his one line in the trailer and that is bad. The line ia quite good and I feel like even I, Foreign Orchid, could have done a better job at delievering it. But at least one of my Joker Fan-girl friends seemed to love that trailer and Leto's Joker especially so I may have to accept this as just another DC production that I will not watch. Too bad, because I like my heroes gritty.

Foreign Orchid.

PS, I like the Lex Luther of this movie - even the wig. I hope it is just a wig though.

Or that he eventually looses his hair due to kryptonite exposure.

Suicide Squad trailer left me cold as well. Letos Joker was brief, but gave me no emotional reaction either. The actress playing Harley seems to not know the role, but to be fair, we didnt hear her speak much in the trailer.

The problem I have with Harley is that the other examples we have had of her were dynamic with big personalities (the animated series and Arkham games) and I didnt get that at all from this trailer.

Other characters we didnt get to see enogh of so jury is still out there. Leto has some exceedingly large clown-shoes to fill. Hopefully he is up to the task.

Re: Harley. I think Margot Robbie could pull it off. Whether the writers, producers and director let her, is another thing. She can definitely do a big personality, based on clips from  The Wolf of Wall Street. I can't find the one I originally found when I was looking her up after hearing the casting initially, and most are NSF, but there are a bunch of them on YouTube. Seems that the voice and a big personality are well within her wheelhouse.

Sadly, the movie generally looks like drek. I might stream it if it goes on Netflix at some point.

As far as the gritty Justice League: I just treat it like an Elseworlds novel. (Or OVA) I think it's OK in small doses, and have plenty of brighter-toned Marvel movies to watch in between DC releases. The quality of Man of Steel was decent; even if I didn't fully agree with the approach and tone taken, I'm willing to see Bats vs Supes to find out how they follow up on some of those ideas.

Ideally, they'll have Bats and Supes hash out their differences, meet in the middle, and have a turn toward a brighter outlook with the upcoming JL stuff. One thing the Daredevil series did really well was show a hero operating heroically, even if he struggled with it, within a dark setting. If the DC franchise can move more that direction, it'd be good.

Marvel has shown the deft ability to tell stories of different types and with a variety of tones, even within the broader scope of a single MCU. DC/WB has not. They seem to be pumping from a single dark, dystopian well. They seem to be capable of hitting only a single note, and it's been that way for over a decade. Sure, The Flash tv series is brighter and cheerier than Arrow or the film universes, but it is only a single light amidst the darkness, and it will have zero impact on the cinematic universe DC is trying to scrabble together.

I kind of feel that Marvel is the new Pixar, and that DC is struggling to establish a cinematic identity. The long-term future for DC does not look bright, neither literally nor metaphorically, at least not to me.

Marvel has shown the deft ability to tell stories of different types and with a variety of tones, even within the broader scope of a single MCU. DC/WB has not. They seem to be pumping from a single dark, dystopian well. They seem to be capable of hitting only a single note, and it's been that way for over a decade. Sure, The Flash tv series is brighter and cheerier than Arrow or the film universes, but it is only a single light amidst the darkness, and it will have zero impact on the cinematic universe DC is trying to scrabble together.

I kind of feel that Marvel is the new Pixar, and that DC is struggling to establish a cinematic identity. The long-term future for DC does not look bright, neither literally nor metaphorically, at least not to me.

Supergirl? What about Legends of Tomorrow? Neither of those shows seem particularly gritty or grim. Also, I've heard that Arrow is going to lighten up next season.

Or not. I'm not really a fan of Arrow.

I know it's a story that's never going to happen and might depress the hell out of everyone if it did, but I can't help but think what all the times he's been exposed to kryptonite is doing to Superman's cells.

How do you treat cancer in a man whose skin you cannot penetrate with needles, surgical instruments, or even therapeutic radiation? How does the Man of Steel face mortality?

I know it's a story that's never going to happen and might depress the hell out of everyone if it did, but I can't help but think what all the times he's been exposed to kryptonite is doing to Superman's cells.

How do you treat cancer in a man whose skin you cannot penetrate with needles, surgical instruments, or even therapeutic radiation? How does the Man of Steel face mortality?

Sorcery is a thing in the DC universe and Superman is just as vulnerable to it as Lois Lane.

Supergirl had an OD of kryptonite, she was also carrying a red lantern ring. She got rid of both by basically flying into the sun and overloading her solar absorption cells to burn out both things. She apparently was the first character to give up the ring and live.

Course, in the comics, won't work for Supes right now as he is basically Powerman level and so non kryptonian that the Fortress of Solitude doesn't recognise him. Is an interesting storyline, because he has also been publicly outed (by Lois), and  yet is still Superman.

Supergirl had an OD of kryptonite, she was also carrying a red lantern ring. She got rid of both by basically flying into the sun and overloading her solar absorption cells to burn out both things. She apparently was the first character to give up the ring and live.

Course, in the comics, won't work for Supes right now as he is basically Powerman level and so non kryptonian that the Fortress of Solitude doesn't recognise him. Is an interesting storyline, because he has also been publicly outed (by Lois), and  yet is still Superman.

It's funny that that is how they saved her considering too much solar radiation basically gave Clark super-cancer (along with a significant power boost) in All Star Superman.

Guy Gardner gave his Red Lantern Ring up.  I believe Mogo the living planet Green Lantern filtered his blood or something. Mogo was too big to be contaminated by that little bit of Red energy.

All Star Superman, as bigbywolfe noted. Its a great DC animated bit still on Netflix I think. Well worth watching.

The book's definitely worth reading as well. Has some great stuff that was cut for time in the movie (although I wasn't a huge fan of their handling of Bazzarro).

All Star Superman is considered an Elseworld. The overload from solar radiation being one of its main differences from canon. Every other storyline I remember has Kryptonian power levels vary with solar sequence. Just this run of Supergirl has Kara weaker under Orange, ridiculous OP under Blue and powerless under Red.

It's funny that that is how they saved her considering too much solar radiation basically gave Clark super-cancer (along with a significant power boost) in All Star Superman.

Guy Gardner gave his Red Lantern Ring up.  I believe Mogo the living planet Green Lantern filtered his blood or something. Mogo was too big to be contaminated by that little bit of Red energy.

I was under the impression Guy also had St. Walker helping also.

I am less worried now after the new comic-con trailer.  Zack Snyder's fascination with Dark Knight had me thinking he was going with that stupid Super-fascist Clark version.  Now it just looks like Bruce will be scared of Supes destructive capabilities while Clark misunderstands Batman's apparent extreme vigilantism, then they will probably kiss and makeup afterwards, possibly with Wonder Woman's influence.