Fast Draw and VPP Redux

Hugh Neilson

Question

I was a bit surprised by the answer for a character whose VPP requires a half phase to change, or 0 phase if he makes a Fast Draw roll.  I would have thought this was a Limited Advantage, so he would apply the Requires a Skill Roll (Fast Draw) limitation to the +1/2 Advantage for moving from a half phase to change to a 0 phase to change.

Am I missing something in that regard?  We used this mechanical structure for a character who may or may not quickly recall how to change a VPP.  He had "No roll to change" on a 14-, "Half phase" on 11- and "Zero phase" on 8-.  So if he wants to change his VPP, he rolls.  15+, he considers it for the full phase with no result; 12-14 he takes the full phase to change it; 9-11 he changes it in a half phase, and 8- he recalls how to do that with no time lost.

It felt like that was tailor made for limited advantages/partially limited powers.

1 answer to this question

Your proposed construction is a good one, and I agree that it's a fine example of applying Limitations to Advantages -- that's probably how I'd do it if I were writing up a power like that for a character in a book. But the initial question was asking about the legality of a particular construct with GM's permission, and I answered on that basis.