Two questions about Continuing Charges

dei1c3

Question

Hi, hopefully I can explain my questions clearly.  Both are about Continuing Charges:

1) In the description of Continuing Charges (6E1 369) it states:

All powers bought with Continuing Charges must include a reasonably common way to turn the power off.

Can you please clarify what this means?  Does it mean that there should be a common way for the player to turn it off?  Or for someone else to turn it off?

Example 1: A character has 8 charges of a lightning-based Damage Shield with a Duration of 1 Turn.  The player defines the way to turn it off as "mentally dismissing it" so that he doesn't have to leave it up for the full turn if he doesn't want to.

Example 2: A character has 8 charges of a lightning-based Damage Shield with a Duration of 1 Turn.  The player defines the way to turn it off as "blasting it with a significant amount of water to short it out" which allows a savvy enemy to take out his shield.

Which would it be?

2) Does a Continuing Charge in a Multipower allow the character to switch slots but leave the power "running"?

Example: A SPD 5 character has 8 Continuing Charges applied to a 60-point Multipower.  The MP has two fixed slots that each use 60 points: A Damage Shield and Flight.  What happens in the following scenario:

Phase 3: Character puts MP points into the Damage Shield and activates the DS.
Phase 5: Character puts MP points into Flight and activates the Flight.

Does the Damage Shield continue for the full turn due to the Continuing Charge?  Or does it turn off as soon as the MP points are shifted to Flight?

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.  I've been playing (and loving) your game since 1st Edition but I still need some help understanding specific rules from time to time.

1 answer to this question

1. It means there has to be a reasonably common way for someone else — for another character fighting that character, typically — to turn that power off. That way characters have a chance to escape the effects of such powers in fun, dramatic ways. In your example, #2 is just fine, #1 doesn’t qualify.

2. See 6E1 370 for rules about Continuing Charges on powers in Multipowers and VPPs.