Homebrewing Hero points

I actually have a house rule where I'll call for luck/unluck rolls in general, even if nobody has either: they get 3d6 as if they all have both luck and unluck.  Characters with either one add their dice to that pool.  The effects of someone with the luck power getting lucky is greater than the ordinary person. It injects a level of random serendipity to the group and allows me to give people a die roll for situations where things might go better or worse based on chance when skill rolls aren't involved.

Cross posted

I really like the ideas here. First, anything that makes character creation easier and faster is a good thing. In the last game I ran, which was an UNTIL super agents game, I did not require disads/complications for the first game and was willing to allow player's to develop them in-game. I like the idea of taking the idea of disadvantages/complications and moving it from the character creation to campaign section. But I would also like to keep it as simple and easy to apply as possible. I also would like flexibility for the GM on how to award players when they are used in play.

Perhaps a player would be asked to pick a set number of disadvantages/complications at the start of play, based on the character's conception. There are no CP's awarded, they are just aspects of your character's origin/background, etc. When the disadvantage/complication comes up in play, the GM can give an award to the player depending on how it was played out, with the player's response factoring into the consideration. Possible awards could be: Luck dice, Hero Points, Bonus XP, a new Contact or Perk, or whatever the GM may see as appropriate based on how the complication/disadvantage affected play.

Can I quote you on that?

Of course. Though some of statement could bear some elaboration. Also, I wish I could edit/clarify the following sentence: "I like the idea of taking the disadvantages/complications [section] and moving it from character creation to [the] campaign section." What I mean by this is that as a part of the character creation process, players are invited to consider aspects to their character's conception that may be disadvantageous to the character. I think the basic concept from the source literature is that "power" does not come for free, but at a price. This price often involves to a change to a character's physique and psyche in conformity with the source and type of power. For example, wolverine has a "beast-like" aspect to his disadvantages/complications which relate to his powers. However, if the "rewards" aspect of the complication/disadvantage now is a GM's option based on how the complication/disadvantage affected game play, then this discussion could now properly placed in the GM's campaign section.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary points

• 4 weeks later...

I actually have a house rule where I'll call for luck/unluck rolls in general, even if nobody has either: they get 3d6 as if they all have both luck and unluck.  Characters with either one add their dice to that pool.  The effects of someone with the luck power getting lucky is greater than the ordinary person. It injects a level of random serendipity to the group and allows me to give people a die roll for situations where things might go better or worse based on chance when skill rolls aren't involved.

Is that the old GAS luck vs. unluck mechanism?  I always liked that.  

I've been thinking about using that and tying critical success/hit and failure/miss to it.  If you roll what would be a critical hit you can ask for the luck roll; net levels of luck mean you get the crit.  If you roll the critical miss range, the GM will do likewise with the unluck side.  

I'm thinking also though that making Luck more player driven would make it work more like HAPs.  Like, instead of saying "I spend an HAP" you'd just roll your Luck.  But, if you're relying on your Luck, the Unluck roll goes with it, and you have to take the good with the bad.  

• 3 months later...

This is the system I'll be playtesting.

Fortune Points
(House Rules)

NOTE: These rules are provisional. As Game Operations Director I reserve the right to revoke, alter, amend, or interpret as necessary. Comments welcome, especially after we've had a chance to playtest for a while.

What are Fortune Points?

Fortune points are a player resource, separate from Character Points, that can be expended in game to gain various benefits for the player characters. They are represented by some kind of physical token, such as poker chips.

Everyone Gets Lucky. And Unlucky.

All player characters gain 1d6 Luck and 1d6 Unluck as standard traits that don't effect the Character Point total. This stacks with any Luck or Unluck the character has as a Power or Complication. And don't worry, I am writing the rules to deliberately prevent myself from overdoing it on the Unluck rolls.

What are Fortune Points Good For?
(Note: I reserve the right to veto any proposed use of
Fortune Points if I feel it's for the good of the game.)

1. Wish me Luck! Before making a Skill roll, to-hit roll, or similar 3d6 resolution roll, spend 1 or 2 Fortune points. For each Fortune point spent, add 1d6 to the roll and drop the highest die. For a really critical roll I may allow 3 Fortune points to be spent (so you would roll 6d6 and keep the 3 lowest dice.)

2. Close Call! If a resolution roll is missed by only 1 pt, spend a Fortune point to change it to a success.

3. Do-Over: After making a Skill, to-hit, damage, location, or effect roll – practically any time you roll dice – you can spend 2 Fortune points to re-roll. Keep the better roll.

4. Bad Luck? No thanks! If I ask you to make an Unluck roll (for your own character or a character associated with yours) spend a Fortune point to avoid the roll. Must declare before making the roll.

5. Second Wind: Spend a Fortune point to get a “free” RECovery (get back END and STUN equal to your REC.)

6. Not Dead Yet! If at negative BOD spend a Fortune point to stabilize and stop bleeding to death.

7. I Can Take It! Spend a Fortune point to mitigate certain effects of damage, such as: ignore being stunned; turn a a disabling blow into an impairing blow, or ignore an impairing blow (thus 2 Fortune points to completely mitigate disabling)

8. Seize the Initiative! Spend a Fortune point to act first this phase. Spend 3 Fortune points to act first each phase this Turn, or to let all your allies act before any enemies this phase.

9. I Feel Lucky! Spend a Fortune point to trigger a Luck roll or attempt a “narrative edit” (“Good thing I remembered to bring rope” or “This potion is extra-potent” for examples.)

10. Pushing My Luck.... Spend two or more Fortune points, each adds 1d6 for a Luck roll (whether you triggered it or I asked for it) BUT, if you fail to get any lucky sixes, you have to make an Unluck roll (and you can't spend a Fortune point to get out of it.)

11. Cheat Fate? Spend 3 Fortune points to force a re-roll of a dice roll that directly effects your character. This can be a to-hit roll, damage roll, perception roll of a guard if your character is sneaking into somewhere, etc. But you also immediately take a 3d6 Unluck roll or some other random circumstance inconveniences the character (and you can't spend a Fortune point to get out of it.) This is not allowed to put the character in a worse position; if the re-roll is just as bad for the character, there is NO Unluck stacked on top of it, if the re-roll is an improvement for your character the Unluck still can't be as bad as whatever you were escaping. EXAMPLE: the second to-hit roll fails, but dodging the blow puts you off balance, -1 to Combat Values your next phase.

12. Anything Else? Feel free to suggest other ideas. Except hoarding them; Fortune points unspent at session's end are lost.

How do I gain Fortune Points ?

1. Just Show up: Every player each session will get a number of Fortune points to start with.

2. Most valuable Player Award: Each session, the players vote an extra Fortune point for whoever they think most improved the game last session.

3. If it Weren't For Bad Luck, I'd Have No Luck At All: Gain a Fortune point any time you make an Unluck roll.

4. How Bad Can it Be? If you voluntarily add Unluck dice to your own roll, each one gains you a Fortune point.

5. A Gift: Any player can give Fortune points to another player at any time.

6. Roll a Three: Roll a 3 for a Skill or to-hit roll and either take a Luck roll at once to see just how fantastic you did, or take a Fortune point.

7. Love your Imperfections! Gain a Fortune point any time a Complication (other than Unluck) comes into play in a significant way. This can be a Complication taken as such for points, some aspect of the character or background that's not necessarily spelled out on the sheet, or even something that's the consequence of a character's in-game actions (example: you offended an NPC who now shows up again in a position to help or hinder the characters. If they remember the insult, you get a Fortune point.)

8. I Have a Great Idea! Come up with a successful strategy or helpful suggestion.
“I'd like some more Fortune points!” doesn't count as a Great Idea.

9. The Volunteer Bonus: Ask for an Unluck roll and suggest what in the situation could go wrong, or remind me of your character's Complications, and gain a bonus Fortune point.

10. As a Reward for Anything Worth Rewarding: For a quotable line, exceptionally in-character action, or anything that makes the game more memorable or entertaining.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Points

• 7 months later...

Next game going to try something new - give myself a few Fortune Points before the game, announce that an encounter is inevitable, and describe the unfavorable terrain the party will be caught in, and let them "bid" Fortune Points to remove or add features. If something is removed it can't be added in again, but I will spend mine to throw in new complications they can get ride of or alter by expending theirs.

Yeah, among other things I hope to drain off some of their Fortune Points this way before the game even starts. Not that their use has been problematic, but I really want this to be tough fight.

Lucius Alexander

I want this to be a palindromedary tagline

Altair: "Iced Coffee & Gourmet Popcorn wargaming" is my new favorite thing! :rofl:

I love Hero Points. I started using them in my con games, figuring if someone paid cash money to play in my game, the least I can do is make sure their fun isn't ruined by one bad die roll. They worked so well we've incorporated them into our home games. IMO they give something for everyone:

• Gamists get to re-roll bad rolls now and then - woo hoo!
  • Narrativists can use them to make input into the story - woo hoo!
  • Simulationists have a way to simulate the  extraordinary luck that follows protagonists in most genre fiction - woo hoo!

At the start of every session everyone rolls 1d6 (plus any Luck dice they have) and gets one HP per Body. You can carry over a max of 3 (+1 per d6 Luck) between sessions. I'm not always great about remembering to award them in session either, but I try to do so mainly when someone plays up a Complication.

We use HPs as follows:

• Reroll any dice roll; you have to reroll all the dice, but can keep the best result. There's no bonus or enhancement to the second roll. You can't re-roll 18s.
  • If using Hit Locations, you can burn an HP to "pull" your location by 1 for every 1 you exceeded your target's DCV. (Currently debating if this should be 1-for-1 or 1-for-2, but that's a different thread.)
  • Make relatively minor changes to the plot & scenery. While I agree in theory with previous posters who say a good GM should do this anyway, I think having a semi-formal mechanism for it makes things less subjective and arbitrary.
  • We've never listed "Inspiration" as a separate thing, but we have on occasion used them that way.
  • Pushing
  • Hurrying - This is a house rule I use that basically lets characters ~push their DEX only for purposes of determining Initiative. I like the idea conceptually, but it honestly doesn't get used much.

Personally I'm not a fan of letting players burn HP to recover, shrug off being Stunned/KO'd, "soak" damage, force a miss, etc. I've played games like that, and I feel it really lets the players ignore the threat of damage in a way I don't enjoy, even when it's benefiting me as a player. YMMV.

One new thing we're going to try in the campaign I'm just starting out is that priests and divine magic users can buy a Talent called Divine Aid, which lets them use HP to Aid their Miracles VPP (pool + slot) at +1d6 per HP. We haven't played this yet tho, so we'll see how it works out.

• 10 months later...

This is the system I'll be playtesting.

Fortune Points

(House Rules)

NOTE: These rules are provisional. As Game Operations Director I reserve the right to revoke, alter, amend, or interpret as necessary. Comments welcome, especially after we've had a chance to playtest for a while.

What are Fortune Points?

Fortune points are a player resource, separate from Character Points, that can be expended in game to gain various benefits for the player characters. They are represented by some kind of physical token, such as poker chips.

Everyone Gets Lucky. And Unlucky.

All player characters gain 1d6 Luck and 1d6 Unluck as standard traits that don't effect the Character Point total. This stacks with any Luck or Unluck the character has as a Power or Complication. And don't worry, I am writing the rules to deliberately prevent myself from overdoing it on the Unluck rolls.

What are Fortune Points Good For?

(Note: I reserve the right to veto any proposed use of

Fortune Points if I feel it's for the good of the game.)

1. Wish me Luck! Before making a Skill roll, to-hit roll, or similar 3d6 resolution roll, spend 1 or 2 Fortune points. For each Fortune point spent, add 1d6 to the roll and drop the highest die. For a really critical roll I may allow 3 Fortune points to be spent (so you would roll 6d6 and keep the 3 lowest dice.)

2. Close Call! If a resolution roll is missed by only 1 pt, spend a Fortune point to change it to a success.

3. Do-Over: After making a Skill, to-hit, damage, location, or effect roll – practically any time you roll dice – you can spend 2 Fortune points to re-roll. Keep the better roll.

4. Bad Luck? No thanks! If I ask you to make an Unluck roll (for your own character or a character associated with yours) spend a Fortune point to avoid the roll. Must declare before making the roll.

5. Second Wind: Spend a Fortune point to get a “free” RECovery (get back END and STUN equal to your REC.)

6. Not Dead Yet! If at negative BOD spend a Fortune point to stabilize and stop bleeding to death.

7. I Can Take It! Spend a Fortune point to mitigate certain effects of damage, such as: ignore being stunned; turn a a disabling blow into an impairing blow, or ignore an impairing blow (thus 2 Fortune points to completely mitigate disabling)

8. Seize the Initiative! Spend a Fortune point to act first this phase. Spend 3 Fortune points to act first each phase this Turn, or to let all your allies act before any enemies this phase.

9. I Feel Lucky! Spend a Fortune point to trigger a Luck roll or attempt a “narrative edit” (“Good thing I remembered to bring rope” or “This potion is extra-potent” for examples.)

10. Pushing My Luck.... Spend two or more Fortune points, each adds 1d6 for a Luck roll (whether you triggered it or I asked for it) BUT, if you fail to get any lucky sixes, you have to make an Unluck roll (and you can't spend a Fortune point to get out of it.)

11. Cheat Fate? Spend 3 Fortune points to force a re-roll of a dice roll that directly effects your character. This can be a to-hit roll, damage roll, perception roll of a guard if your character is sneaking into somewhere, etc. But you also immediately take a 3d6 Unluck roll or some other random circumstance inconveniences the character (and you can't spend a Fortune point to get out of it.) This is not allowed to put the character in a worse position; if the re-roll is just as bad for the character, there is NO Unluck stacked on top of it, if the re-roll is an improvement for your character the Unluck still can't be as bad as whatever you were escaping. EXAMPLE: the second to-hit roll fails, but dodging the blow puts you off balance, -1 to Combat Values your next phase.

12. Anything Else? Feel free to suggest other ideas. Except hoarding them; Fortune points unspent at session's end are lost.

How do I gain Fortune Points ?

1. Just Show up: Every player each session will get a number of Fortune points to start with.

2. Most valuable Player Award: Each session, the players vote an extra Fortune point for whoever they think most improved the game last session.

3. If it Weren't For Bad Luck, I'd Have No Luck At All: Gain a Fortune point any time you make an Unluck roll.

4. How Bad Can it Be? If you voluntarily add Unluck dice to your own roll, each one gains you a Fortune point.

5. A Gift: Any player can give Fortune points to another player at any time.

6. Roll a Three: Roll a 3 for a Skill or to-hit roll and either take a Luck roll at once to see just how fantastic you did, or take a Fortune point.

7. Love your Imperfections! Gain a Fortune point any time a Complication (other than Unluck) comes into play in a significant way. This can be a Complication taken as such for points, some aspect of the character or background that's not necessarily spelled out on the sheet, or even something that's the consequence of a character's in-game actions (example: you offended an NPC who now shows up again in a position to help or hinder the characters. If they remember the insult, you get a Fortune point.)

8. I Have a Great Idea! Come up with a successful strategy or helpful suggestion.

“I'd like some more Fortune points!” doesn't count as a Great Idea.

9. The Volunteer Bonus: Ask for an Unluck roll and suggest what in the situation could go wrong, or remind me of your character's Complications, and gain a bonus Fortune point.

10. As a Reward for Anything Worth Rewarding: For a quotable line, exceptionally in-character action, or anything that makes the game more memorable or entertaining.

Lucius Alexander

Palindromedary Points

I've been looking for this! Now I have it again.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says don't lose it again

• 5 years later...

I use HAPs in my current Traveller Hero game, and they are mostly used to mitigate rolls at critical points. I home-brewed effects a bit. Neutral Luck (roll 3d6 and count the ones and sixes to see effect) also crops up from time to time. The players like that they have some control over the narrative using them.

However, in my Delta Green Hero campaign I run from time to time as an alternate, I specifically don’t use HAPs to enforce the feel of an uncaring universe in that setting. If I ever run a pulp era Cthulhu Hero campaign, I would likely do the same.

As a player, I like HAP when the dice don't agree with a narrative element I've almost achieved. I resist the temptation to negate all my failed rolls. Good stories are not made by an endless succession of successes. Some of the best stories are in fact stories of overcoming setback or failure. In my opinion, HAP work well as a finishing move to complete a trend. That is you're most of the way there, but the dice generate a random number at odds with the trend. For example, you've almost convinced an NPC to accept your harebrained scheme or the fight is almost over. Ideally I would only use my HAP to complete a scene.

Sometimes the trend is going against me, and I just can't roll a success. While I'm tempted to use HAP to buy myself out of trouble, I do my best not to negate failure. Partly this is a metagame decision to trust my GM with the consequences of my failure. Most genres allow you to come back from failures. Even dying can sometimes be nothing but a setback. In this game, I trust that most non-combat failures will not be lethal. Not everyone at our table shares my opinion. Just last session one of our players used almost all of his HAP to overcome a string of failures during a social interaction with an NPC. Personally, I thought failure would have been the more interesting result, but he had the HAP to spend and used them to resist an entanglement.

One game mechanic I like is giving everyone a stack of HAP at the beginning of the game. We can in theory earn more during play, but we rarely do because we rarely run out of HAP. This is a good mechanic for tables where not everyone has real life social skills or likes power gaming by earning HAP. Those who prefer roll-play to roleplay don't have to worry about gaining HAP through their amateur acting abilities. How many HAP is a good amount will vary from table to table. I would fine tune it to your PCs playstyle.

• 1 month later...

My hero/Force points. I use them in all of my Heroic Level games.

- Usually you get 1 for every 20 character/experience point your PC has spent. In Star Wars those strong in the force get 1/10 CP & EP spent.

- standard they are one time use +1 over all level. Yes they can blow them on all on one roll. But that's usually the least interesting option. In my Star Wars game for example they do a lot of things at big negative modifiers to their skill rolls. Force points often let them smooth that out 

-I give them some back for especially heroic actions, a little bit of lul in game time and at the beginning of a new story arch you are maxed out.

Those are the boring details. Other things to do.

-use them to change a scene slightly for your advantage. Usually between 2-4.

- Deeper than the last spend them for a flash back like in Bladeone s in the Dark, when appropriate narratively. 5 and more. 

-fix a failed rolls, for 5.

Reading through your guys' I may add some options. I liked the free recovery from being stunned.

23 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

My friend Dean ran a Savage Worlds Star Wars game, and he had a dark/light side system for their hero point equivalent (force points in his game, nobody was a force user, though).  When someone used a point for dark side, the bad guys got one.

Interesting. That could be fun in duels.

Years ago I found a couple of breakdowns of this kind of point system on two websites dedicated to Pulp-era Hero gaming, which are now unfortunately defunct. (I'm pretty sure that the first was created by "Armless Tiger-Man," but after all this time I've forgotten the other. 😔 However, I know that it was based on the author's adaptation of the Adventure! Pulp RPG.)  I've tended to blend elements from both systems, but I'll present them separately.

Action Points!
Each character will receive 1-4 Action Points! per session. Action Points! are separate from, and may not be purchased with character points. During the game, Action Points! may be spent for specific purposes. Such as:
"Damn I'm good!" You may spend one AP! to make any single die roll go in your favour, such as an automatically successful attack or skill roll.
"He barely grazed me!" You can automatically take minimum damage from an enemy's attack (as if the enemy had rolled all 1's for damage.)
"That was my Sunday Punch!" you can automatically do maximum damage with one of your attacks (as if you had rolled all 6's.)
Dramatic Editing allows a player to add details specific to their character to a scene. These can be as simple as a fortuitously placed tree branch or ledge, or as contrived as "Unbeknownst to his passengers, this was actually Doc Danger's submersible car." Edits must be somewhat believable, consistent with the current scene, and as always are subject to gm approval.
You may declare that you are spending an AP! after you blow a roll, or after damage is rolled, but you can only spend one AP! per turn.

House Rule No.1: Inspiration

PCs may purchase Inspiration points for 1 character point. Inspiration points can be used for dramatic editing of any scene (Adventure! Pg 193). Dramatic editing allows a player to spend Inspiration to insert details specific to his character into the scene, as long as the GM approves, and as long as it does not contradict anything already established. It cannot be used to supersede the GM's description of events, but rather to supplement them for purposes of heightening the game.

The result of dramatic editing must be something that could conceivably occur within the setting and the events of the game. If the GM doesn't see how a proposed dramatic edit could realistically occur, he is free to demand clarification from the player. This serves to maintain suspension of disbelief and encourages players to think of dramatic editing opportunities that keep the tone of the game. Finding six pristine sets of jungle survival gear in the vine-covered ruins of a Mayan temple isn't very believable. However, finding them in the decaying hulk of an Army Air Corps transport that crashed near the temple a decade ago is lot more plausible.

The dramatic edit may not contradict anything that has already been established or overrule the results of a dice roll that has already occurred, unless the dramatic editing is being preformed for the explicit purpose of saving a PC from certain death. If the GM has already stated that a supply locker is empty, the PC may not use dramatic editing to find two Thompson guns and 12 pounds of gold coins. However, if some palooka shoots the hero for 20 points of BODY damage, the player may use dramatic editing to say (assuming the hero isn't utterly naked), that the bullet ricochets from his St. Christopher medallion. Along similar lines, dramatic editing may not be used to contradict or negate someone else's Inspiration use in the scene.

Dramatic editing is a function of the player's self-motivation, not the characters. Under no circumstances should the character (or any other character) be aware that dramatic editing has just occurred. Dramatic editing is an out-of-game way to explain and facilitate within a game setting the incredible surprises and amazing coincidences common to the pulp genre. It's not a reality-altering power within the setting that characters consciously, or even unconsciously, wield.

The GM is the ultimate authority in every game. He has the final say on what sorts of dramatic editing are or are not believable. If a given dramatic edit will ruin the entire plot, seems overly powerful or intrusive, or simply doesn't fit into the world, the GM is completely within his rights to deny the player that dramatic edit. Negotiation and refinement is acceptable though.

Dramatic Editing Costs Table

Inspiration

Effect

Minor off-screen effect

Minor extension of another player's effect

Minor on-screen effect

Major on-screen effect

Obvious continuity violation

+1

Plot ramifications

Plot complications for a character

Minor off-screen effect cannot possibly save the character right away, but it can bring help within 15 minutes to an hour. It may be too late depending on the circumstances (like a vat filling with acid), but works just fine for less immediate deadly events (like a shipwreck with no help in sight). Examples: An airplane flying far overhead happens to see the characters SOS; a firefighter 20 minutes away notices a column of smoke from the fire endangering the team.

Minor on-screen effect won't save the character's life by itself, but it can give him some breathing room or a fighting chance. It may include the unexpected arrival of NPCs who, while unable to rescue the character directly, can provide other sorts of aid. Alternatively, it may be a piece of (easily concealed) equipment the character "forgot" that he'd had or something similar. Examples: The character wriggles an arm free from the ropes tying him to the buzz saw; a large piece of wreckage from the shipwreck crests a wave nearby just as the character begins to tire out.

Major on-screen effect saves the character's life or even the lives of the whole team. This effect can be just about anything that doesn't contradict the GM's summary of the situation. Examples: The plane's emergency supply locker has enough parachutes for the whole team; just a few feet below the character is a meter-wide ledge along the cliff that leads to safety.

Obvious continuity Violation directly contradicts the GM's description of the scene or is just thoroughly beyond the bounds of plausibility. Clearly, this use of dramatic editing demands the GM's scrutiny, but it should be possible as long as it is appropriately creative and maintains the feel of the game and the genre. Examples: Oh, this is Dr. Smith's submersible car, you see; the assassin about to strike the killing blow is actually an old friend from grammar school; the flames lick at the spilled gasoline, but those barrels labeled "petrol" were actually filled with water!

Plot ramifications gives the characters a clue to solving a mystery that has plagued them, lands one of the villain's henchmen in jail, or brings any character in the group an unexpected benefit.

Plot complications are circumstances during the scene that make life harder for the character that spends the Inspiration. He breaks his leg leaping to safety just as the car careens over the cliff; he escapes from certain death, only to fall under the influence of a lesser enemy, and so on.