Larger Than Life! Real people who could be pulp heroes.

freakboy6117

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair, the History Channel doesn't just show Ancient Aliens and Ax Men.  They also have a bunch of shows about Hitler (and speculation that he didn't actually die in a bunker) every couple of years.   :)

Well it used to, but it wasn't crazy enough anymore for them.

Some channel called AHC does most of the "Nazzee" stuff now.  They probably show more history than anyone now.  Had a multipart doc on WWI called Apocalypse(?) that was fairly interesting, recently.   Though, I just wait it out till they come full blown stupid.

Ancient Aliens is my guilty pleasure. I take the show with a gain of salt of course but they do raise some interesting questions at times.

I do occasionally,  if I watch 5 minutes, and it seems like I can follow unless just the make my mind twist itself until I get stupider usual crap, I'll put myself through it

However, that is just a 1 in 10 scenario.  And if bonker hair boy makes much of an appearance it will mean usuallythe 9 in 10 scenario

• 3 weeks later...

A little early for the pulps, but Bass Reeves was a freed slaved who was one of the first black US Deputy Marshals. He worked for the famous hanging judge Isaac Parker, who valued him highly. Reeves came out on top in fourteen gunfights and arrested an brought an estimated 3,000 fugitives to justice. He was never seriously wounded, but on one instance, had his hat shot off. Two notable cases, 1) he single apprehended 19 horse thieves, 2) he brought in his own son for murder.

A little early for the pulps, but Bass Reeves was a freed slaved who was one of the first black US Deputy Marshals. He worked for the famous hanging judge Isaac Parker, who valued him highly. Reeves came out on top in fourteen gunfights and arrested an brought an estimated 3,000 fugitives to justice. He was never seriously wounded, but on one instance, had his hat shot off. Two notable cases, 1) he single apprehended 19 horse thieves, 2) he brought in his own son for murder.

I saw a programme on him on television It was called "Gunslingers" I think. I had never heard of him before.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tom Mix, Joseph Kittenger, -any- of the early rocket men (including Werner von Braun), with modifications, several U.S. Presidents would fit in the list: Abraham Lincoln, Andrew "Devil" Jackson, Theodore Roosevelt...Ugh, too little sleep to have any more pop into mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Charles Lindbergh.  Had his life marred by criminal action, and was involved in cutting edge research into both aeronautics (and adventurous pilots were a big part of the pulps) and the creation of artificial organs with an eye toward improving the human body.  And supposedly he fought in World War II as a civilian.  

• 4 weeks later...

I can't believe I missed mentioning this one: Nickola Tesla (1856 - 1943).  He was even accused of being a time traveler from the future because of his brilliant, forward thinking.  He laid down the principles for radio, radar, modern AC power, and many other things.  On the subject of radio, Marconi is given credit for its invention, but the issue with that is he used Tesla's designs and 20 of his patents.  Tesla himself, when told of it, was said to have commented, "Great.  Marconi is doing good work."