Aaron Allston's Strike Force for 6E is Happening!

Susano

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my game, we have multiple groups.

Each Arc contains sixteen sessions. That's 12 issues, an annual and a giant sized special. Sometimes there will be 17-18 if we get stonewalled or so, but then we switch to a different group and handle something else in the world. By keeping it fresh and then going back to old characters, we maintain the world, and it's been 29 years. Players come and go. We use a staggered experience point system so that high powered characters don't get a ton of XP for beating up Foxbat-level villains.

But the system works. And people are happy with it.

Among other things, I would like to see more on the Blood, the Paek-Tu martial arts school and the various NPCs and PCs that populated the campaign. I'd also like to see more details on other worlds the team has visited, like the globular cluster mentioned in the campaign chronicles. I think one of Bolo's NPCs was a lady astronaut from there. More on the Governor too, and his scheme to hold back the advancement of technology. What happened after he was defeated?

Just publish the whole campaign in a multi-volume set. :)

Among other things, I would like to see more on the Blood, the Paek-Tu martial arts school and the various NPCs and PCs that populated the campaign. I'd also like to see more details on other worlds the team has visited, like the globular cluster mentioned in the campaign chronicles. I think one of Bolo's NPCs was a lady astronaut from there. More on the Governor too, and his scheme to hold back the advancement of technology. What happened after he was defeated?

Heh, we would if we could.

Well, I just purchased the one for third edition from a used book store.  :)  I have to admit, it is full of crunchy goodness for just about anybody's campaign.  I'm hoping that while you do serve the current crop of gamers with an update, that you also find a way to offer the original gangster on pdf - say as a bonus for an online order?

LF

Heh, we would if we could.

Kickstarter?

Denis Loubet is around on facebook at least, and he's still doing art.  Would be great to have him do illustrations.  And if you want to use the colorized versions I did of his art, feel free! :)

We are talking to Denis about artwork and the like.

• 2 weeks later...

Strike Force's killer app was that it detailed an awesome Champions campaign, and then showed how to run one just like it.  And made it easy.  It'd be hard to build on that but putting in updated specifics for 6th ed couldn't hurt.

And of course if Mr. Allston had any more notes on his campaign background I'd love to see them as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I just pulled my copy out of storage where it had been for about 20 years. A quick review reminded me why I liked it so much.  It seemed so well put together compared to some of the other products that were out there and available at the time.  It was what we aspired to for our own home games.

There was very little that I did not steal from it...blue booking became especially popular with some of the more ambitious players.  It permitted the addition of a whole other layer of complexity to the world we were creating. 

I would like the see  the characters updated for the new edition and to see how they developed in the intervening years.  the character builds were not that complex but the accompanying descriptions/write-up are what kept me coming back.

So... I have finished reading all 797 pages of Aaron's session-by-session history of Strike Force. That's 19 years of gaming run over 251 sessions. I am in awe. Now? On to his notes on setting history and the like.

As far as I can tell, Aaron ran at least 260 sessions or so... but I don't have a write-up of those sessions. So we'll go with what we got... which as you can see is quite a bit.

So... I have finished reading all 797 pages of Aaron's session-by-session history of Strike Force. That's 19 years of gaming run over 251 sessions. I am in awe. Now? On to his notes on setting history and the like.

As far as I can tell, Aaron ran at least 260 sessions or so... but I don't have a write-up of those sessions. So we'll go with what we got... which as you can see is quite a bit.

I would pay money for you to slap all that on a scanner and email it to me. That could be the whole book. :)

Did Aaron leave any kind of guide or suggestion as to how he wanted to organize and present this material? Not that I think it would be better than what you would do, Michael, and this could be a different type of work than what he envisioned; but it sounds like some sort of roadmap would make this easier for you.

Did Aaron leave any kind of guide or suggestion as to how he wanted to organize and present this material? Not that I think it would be better than what you would do, Michael, and this could be a different type of work than what he envisioned; but it sounds like some sort of roadmap would make this easier for you.

Actually, yes. I have files the show a circa 1998-99 attempt to create a Strike Force series of campaign guides.