Aaron Allston's Strike Force for 6E is Happening!

Susano

How much of the text will be Mr. Allston's work? Will it be a total re-write from his notes or will there be sections taken whole from his writings?

Honestly? Depends. I've already placed a block of his own text into the Introduction, for example. But I suspect other material may be condensed and/or paraphrased. The documents I have to work from total a word and page counter far larger than what we have.

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I got the most out of the original work was the description of an actual campaign.  What I needed/wanted was an actual example of what success looks like. 

And that is what I would like to have most out of a new product.  An example of what success looks like.  But only if it is authentic.  A fictional description of a campaign that did not happen, no matter how fun to read, isn't what I want to pay money for.  So as the product is updated, please don't err into that zone in the name of updating.

After that was the advice as related to that campaign.

I enjoyed the characters and house rules, but they really didn't have a lot of value for me.  There were enough character examples out there when I got the product that I just didn't need any more to help me build characters - even more so today.  Although it would be fun to see how the characters developed if you wrote up 200-250-300-etc.  House rules are always interesting to read, but I honestly don't feel any great need for additional rules for the Hero System today.

It is hard to put yourself in the shoes of a newer gamer.  But I suspect that the GM advice and campaign example would still be at the top.  Although I think more people would get value out of the characters than I would.  They likely don't have a stack of Hero System products that would crush a vehicle as I do...

But at the time it was all about the advice and campaign sections.  And that stuff really transcended the Hero System and applied across to other game systems.

Basically, what I got the most out of it was 'this is what right looks like' and 'this is how I made it happen'.

What I would like most from this product would be more of that.  Descriptions of adventures and how they played out.  You mention later that you have a log of the session by session history?  Yeah, that is what I want. 

Thanks,

Chad

In case anyone is wondering, I am currently working my way through 800 MB of Aaron's files, plucking out the "good stuff" and reading hundreds of pages of campaign history. It is rather awe-inspiring the extent of the Aaron Allston multiverse.

Know what you mean and I only have a notebook with the history thorough the middle of the 80s...

It really is happening, isn't it? :D

Yup. 

To be a little more specific, the Introduction gives my thoughts on the project, talks about Aaron himself, and then discusses Strike Force and its impact on gaming.

The Campaign section gives as basic introduction to the campaign, discusses the methods Aaron used to run it (taken from Aaron's own notes on the subject), then examines the themes and tone of the campaign, and will wrap up with a breakdown of major campaign events.

Interspersed between these sections we hope to have testimonials written by various gaming notables.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I've written the Introduction and working my way through the section on the Campaign itself. I'm at 11-12,000 words, and have covered such topics as how Aaron ran his games, blue-booking, his Chronicles, themes, tones, and other such game elements. Right now I'm trying to condense his timeline down into something that's concise but also provides a good idea as to what went on during the game. 

Watch it, Liaden might be working undercover for Game Supplement Vice!

On a more serious note, is there a possibility of an in memoriam page for Mr. Allston?  It appears that with so much material space will be at a premium, but of course his contributions to Hero and role-playing in general are unsurpassed. 

Watch it, Liaden might be working undercover for Game Supplement Vice!

On a more serious note, is there a possibility of an in memoriam page for Mr. Allston?  It appears that with so much material space will be at a premium, but of course his contributions to Hero and role-playing in general are unsurpassed. 

The entire book is this (IMO). Also, there will be testimonials from the industry, and I do a short profile of his work.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the record, Part I is done. It clocks in at around 49,000-50,000 words. We are now developing the GM's advice section, while I get the fun task of creating the various 6E character sheets for an assortment of heroes, NPCs, and villains. With luck, much like the original Strike Force, you'll get the starting and most current version of several heroes (such as Phosphene, who was there at the start and was still going strong 260 session later).

We only have to wait a few more months.

I hope they publicize it well before it goes live. Kickstarters fail when they don't get enough press and enthusiastic support from their creators. They have to sell it from Day One and keep selling it hard to the very last day.

We only have to wait a few more months.

I hope they publicize it well before it goes live. Kickstarters fail when they don't get enough press and enthusiastic support from their creators. They have to sell it from Day One and keep selling it hard to the very last day.

Everyone can help by talking this up on social media. Also, if anyone knows off or has contacts with a gaming podcast, tell them about this and have them get in touch with me.