Female Redesigns

Greywind

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget The Hulk and The Sub-Mariner.  Especially not The Sub-Mariner.

I like the outfits for Elektra and Red Sonja--they could be characters in a Dungeons & Dragons Fantasy HERO campaign.  In fact, a lot of these outfits look like they belong in another genre besides a four-color superhero world.  For some of the designs, that's a comment--for others, a complaint.  It's like the artist kind of, sort of missed the point about super-character costumes--especially when it came to Vampirella.

Like any costume, a superhero costume does more than conceal the original identity--it creates a new identity, one different, distinct and immediately recognizable.  Doctor Impossible says it best--

"In street clothes I'd just be a criminal.  Which I am, of course, but in the costume I'm something more.  I wear the flag of a country that never existed and the uniform of its glorious army, spreading forth the dominion of the invincible empire of me.  Doctor Impossible."--Soon I Will Be Invincible, pgs. 89-90

Yes, you can fight crime without circus tights and a cape, or a high-tech battlesuit, or mystic robes.  But a superhero's costume represents something more--strength and speed, power and prowess, and the courage to use all that for the greater good.  And something more--the idea that others can do the same, can find it within themselves to use their strengths and abilities for truth and justice, for equality and liberty, for any other just and noble cause.

I don't quite get that sense from the costume redesigns on that page.  Yes, they're practical, and yes, they're decidedly not "stripperrific."  But I wouldn't call them inspiring--I wouldn't call them memorable.

Just my thoughts on the subject--take them as you will.

Buddy Ebsen nearly died from a reaction to the makeup for his Tin Man costume in the Wizard of Oz.

Actors have it far worse than superheroes. 

Burt Ward wrote that he was given estrogen shots for the filming of the Batman TV series by the studio doctor to ensure those short shorts he wore didn't underscore that a man in his late 20's was playing the supposedly preteen Boy Wonder.

Actors playing superheroes have it twice as bad.

I have no objection to a principled approach to pragmatic superhero costumes. After all, what could more define the sort of person who puts on a mask to become a vigilante than commonsense?  :rofl:

I just object to the designs looking significantly worse than what a teenager's dad would buy her to wear her first day of high school.

Our superheroes almost universally represent disdain for convention.

Who wears modest uniforms in comics uniformly?

Evil Hydra soldiers, Skrulls and priests of unspeakable cults.

Who appropriates uniforms and makes them individual?

X-Men and anyone under Nick Fury's command.

The prurience of dressing Wonder Woman, an Amazon based on a myth of naked women warriors by a naughty psychologist, 'modestly' by the standards of the patriarchal society her people despise?

Of forcing a standard on Power Girl -- a woman from an alien world as unlike the slim slice of puritan America as puritan America is from the rest of the planet Earth?

What the heck is this preoccupation with abridging stories and censoring looks by the petty standards of a frankly less literate generation?

with these costumes work well for Arrow as they are dark and they generally want to work in low light and can pass for normals from the club scene

Both the Black Widow and Baroness worked as eye candy to distract their foes