ARENA GAMES: General Discussion (Season 3)

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've already chased off at least two owners, so let's see how many I can turn off with the big rule change.

Last season we had some truly surreal or bizarre matches do to some very unpredictable drafting. The game was beginning to morph from a Contest of Champions into Super Smash Bros. While Smash Bros is fun, it has its place and it's not what I intended here. I debated this a long time because I think it may be what you all are looking for, but I really want to get back to my original game. I learned some time ago that trying to please everyone simply doesn't work, so I'm going to try to focus on supers vs supers next season.

In my mind, the best matches last season were when we had to debate things like Aquaman vs Thor, or Hulk vs Power Girl. These are match-ups people really get behind and get heated about, which is the fun. Therefore, selection pools will be more limited next season. Marvel, DC, and Image supers books will be your sources except for certain themed draft rounds for indy books.

I sincerely apologize if this turns people off that are looking for a more Smash Bros type of game. Maybe we can do one with that intention next time, if there's enough interest.

Seriously, though, I presume this means we're not doing the non-powered Arena Games this time.

I've decided that we will have non-powered match-ups instead of whole teams. So the non-powered characters will still have a place and can have a big impact.

Are we able to keep any characters, or do we have to draft from scratch this time?

There will still be keepers, no worries.  For those teams that do not come back, their entire rosters will go back in the pool.

I'm still on the fence about permanent tag teams on the rosters.

Traditionally (can you say that after two iterations?) there have been eight team members. Players draft in a specific order as determined by the Commissioner, but the order reverses in alternate rounds. So if you draft second in Round 1, you'll draft second-to-last in Round 2, then second again in Round 3, etc.

Mock if you must ( you sad aquahating philistines), but he kicked a lot of ass in season 2. 

I'm more a Namor fan. ;):P

I only like the JLU Aquaman.

4162033-8118572352-aquam.jpg

I've never seen Namor in anything I actually liked.