ARENA GAMES: General Discussion (Season 3)

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Namor is the guy at the gym who dates married women.

"Hey, Stretch, get your butt down here under the Fantasticar. I need to show ya something intrudin' from the Negative Zone!"

"Coming in a moment, Ben! And I really mean that!"

"Uhm, honey?"

"Can't it wait a few hours, Sue? Whateve it is, we can discuss it in the taxi on the way to the Streisand retrospective."

"Man, am I excited about that. Six straight hours of Babs flicks! Thanks for lettin' me tag along with you and Stretch, Sue!"

"I, uhm, that's what I wanted to talk to you about, Reed. Turns out I can't make it to the festival. I'll be at, uhm, the gym. All weekend."

"Okay, hon. See you Monday!"

New rule: Ok, new rule. There's no more trivia. I love writing the questions, but the results have been far too unbalancing. It's been like the payroll of a baseball roster that adjusts by city size, but I think we need something closer to basketball that has a level payroll no matter how many fans you have. Still, we need a way to replenish points during the season. Two new ways for points: considering our home here, let's call the first a post phase 12 recovery. Every weekend, each team will earn a certain number of points, amount TBD. (It will likely be a straight, even amount, but I'm toying with a way to make a recovery stat for each team.) There will also be certain activities to earn points. These will vary, and be announced later. (Suggestions are welcome.)

91_points.jpg

For suggestions, how about points for pulling in the most votes in a day / a week. Points for being outspent the most in a day. Points for spending the exact same as your opponent.Biggest winner and biggest loser points. Points for winning a "people's champion poll" where people vote on who should get a special bonus for the week.

Foreign Orchid.

How about a Triangular Number bonus for consecutive wins during the week? Pick the longest winning streak during the week, and assign bonus points accordingly:

2 wins in a row = 3 bonus points

3 wins in a row = 6 bonus points

4 wins in a row = 10 bonus points

5 wins in a row = 15 bonus points

This would be in addition to anything else you had in mind, obviously.

How about rewarding shrewd tactics rather than overkill? That is, the more nearly equal a team's margin of victory/defeat in all their matches, the more points they get. This probably involves using variances or standard deviations, and more points awarded for smaller variances ... I will see if I can find results and compute a numerical example.

If you don't spend points during a week, will you still get points? Can your point totals grow each week by spending less than the recovery amount, or will the weekly recovery be capped to the amount of points you spent that week?

Extra points could be added for special awards, sure, but I'm thinking point totals should hold steady or gradually diminish each week if we are getting a recovery each week. You shouldn't be able to grow your total by standing pat one or more weeks and not spending a single point.

If you don't spend points during a week, will you still get points? Can your point totals grow each week by spending less than the recovery amount, or will the weekly recovery be capped to the amount of points you spent that week?

Extra points could be added for special awards, sure, but I'm thinking point totals should hold steady or gradually diminish each week if we are getting a recovery each week. You shouldn't be able to grow your total by standing pat one or more weeks and not spending a single point.

We saw some people do this last season. You are free to do so, but having a lot of points doesn't mean much if you never win, immo.

This season, we formally introduce something we've touched on slightly before, Match Themes. In addition to the Arena settings, there will now be themes that color the matches to take into consideration. Themes will be assigned to matches randomly. Examples:

Ladies' Night: Only female gladiators allowed

Youth Gone Wild: Gladiators must be teens or younger

Mundane Madness: No super-powers allowed!

Tag Team Battle: Now a theme for any arena

Flightless Fight: Now a theme for any arena

Mortal Kombat: The one situation where gladiators can be killed

Others may appear, too. :hex:

There will be draft rounds that guarantee women and youth (though that's rarely a problem). For flightless and mundane battles, you can put in supers, but excessive powers won't work. Frex, you can put the Hulk in a mundane battle, but he'd be a normal human ... an eight foot tall green, muscular human, but normal for that size.