Hellsight

MrAgdesh

I'm designing a character with a form of Detect Souls/Lifeforce that is tied to his vision. This aspect of his vision is X-Ray ( so that he could see through a wall but only to see the outline of a soul bearing creature beyond it - nothing about the room that the creature may be in for example) and I'm trying to design this under 5th and in Hero Designer, but I'm not sure of the best way to do it. At first I thought that it might be a simple case of Linking N-Ray perception to a Detect, yet HD doesn't like this so I'm not sure.

Any suggestions please?

N-Ray is just a specific example of a Detect.  Just start there.

Based on the following excerpts from 5er pages 162-163:

The Unusual Sense Group
The Unusual Sense Group includes the following Senses: Active Sonar, Clairsentience, Detect, Find Weakness, High Range Radio Perception, Infrared Perception, N-Ray Perception, Radar, Radio Perception/Transmission, Spatial Awareness, Sensory Talents, Ultraviolet Perception, Ultrasonic Perception.

N-Ray Perception
The character can make normal PER Rolls through materials that block ordinary perception (such as walls). However, he must define one or more reasonably common substance(s) he cannot perceive through. For example, N-Ray Perception defined as X-Ray Vision could not perceive through Force Fields, Force Walls, lead, or gold. Cost: 10 Character Points (Detect Physical Objects [10 Character Points]; Passive).

I would build it as follows:

15 Hellsight: Detect - Souls/Lifeforce  A Class Of Things - Souls/Lifeforce  11- (Unusual Group), Range, Sense, Targeting (22 Active Points); Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Sight Group (-1/2)
[Notes: From Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 85; Revised, page 126 -  Some Senses will be affected  by Sense-Affecting Powers as if they are more than one Sense. For example, the  radar screen on a battleship requires both Radar (which is built into the device)  and Normal Sight (used to read the screen). This amounts to a Limitation on the  Power.]

Hellsight 5er example.hdc

Thanks. Its been ages since I did much with senses and I think that they can be very confusing. I was forgetting that Detects are inherently N-Ray in themselves (Detect Gold used on a locked treasure chest for example)

Another question. If you take the Detect as a Sense (sight)  and 'affected as more than one sense: Sight group' then apart from that meaning that your Detect is (amongst other things) subject to Flash against sight would it not also trump your built in N-Ray? (Logic being that you can't 'see through walls with your regular sight so you therefore can't see souls through walls?)

Thanks. Its been ages since I did much with senses and I think that they can be very confusing. I was forgetting that Detects are inherently N-Ray in themselves (Detect Gold used on a locked treasure chest for example)

Another question. If you take the Detect as a Sense (sight)  and 'affected as more than one sense: Sight group' then apart from that meaning that your Detect is (amongst other things) subject to Flash against sight would it not also trump your built in N-Ray? (Logic being that you can't 'see through walls with your regular sight so you therefore can't see souls through walls?)

If you build the Detect as part of the Sight Sense Group then the Affected as more than one sense would have to be taken on a different group (example: Hearing).  In that situation you would need to buy N-Ray separately if you wanted it to work through walls.