And Lo, my Windows 10 upgrade reminder popped up today.

Enforcer84

Big desktop is now switched. Ran into a minor driver issue with the built-in sound card, updated driver and it's fixed (though the speaker map is now 7.1 with the side speakers turned off for my 5.1 speakers). This computer logs in with a local account, Microsoft didn't try to get me to switch to a Live login (yay!). Gained about 8 GB of space on the boot SSD, will gain quite a bit more after I feel confident enough to remove Windows.old.

Had an issue with a Blue Screen of Death this afternoon, but it was not caused by the software. My PC had had a bit too much of Portland's heatwave and overheated, Fortunately the BSOD gave me an error I could google and I was able to cool things down and reboot. It's working fine now, but I wish I could afford a new computer desk that would give me better ventilation.

I was reading a bunch of articles on Forbes yesterday.  I will wait at least until the "service packs" come out in October.   I suspect many of them will actually be "patches".  

The stripping out of features and then charging for them pisses me off, even if they are minor issues.   

I still am not convinced I want to up the effort in to switch to Linux...   

You know, the only thing that I'm on the fence about is my Windows 7 box, which would lose Media Center on an upgrade*. I haven't really found any issues with the other computers that have been upgraded to Windows 10.

*It would be eligible to receive the $15 Microsoft DVD program for free--but I use VLC, so it's not really that important.

You know, the only thing that I'm on the fence about is my Windows 7 box, which would lose Media Center on an upgrade*. I haven't really found any issues with the other computers that have been upgraded to Windows 10.

*It would be eligible to receive the $15 Microsoft DVD program for free--but I use VLC, so it's not really that important.

yeah I got VLC to cover my loss of a DVD player. I don't think my version had Media Center. 

some things I was told were "difficult" were a dawdle; mostly the new draconian "Default Programs" which was fixed by running my browser of choice selecting it as my default browser and having microsofts window pop up so I could set with my other programs. 

As a net result I haven't tried Groove Player at all. I am a Media Monkey man. 

yeah I got VLC to cover my loss of a DVD player. I don't think my version had Media Center. 

some things I was told were "difficult" were a dawdle; mostly the new draconian "Default Programs" which was fixed by running my browser of choice selecting it as my default browser and having microsofts window pop up so I could set with my other programs. 

As a net result I haven't tried Groove Player at all. I am a Media Monkey man. 

Media Monkey is probably the best player that I've found for managing very large music collections, and for tagging tracks. I paid for the Lifetime subscription back in the Version 2 days, and have been very happy with the various improvements that they have made. I also like that it's licensed for multiple computers, and I really like the control that Auto-DJ can give for random playback. However, it does have difficulty playing back a few of my FLAC files from purchased sources, which play back perfectly with VLC or Foobar2000.

Groove Player seems to be hard-wired into Cortana's command for "play my music", even if the default music player's something else. I've played around with it, but it doesn't support gapless playback (yet), has a very strange method of re-tagging album art, and can easily lose its list of music if it's on a removable drive, and have to re-import if the drive's plugged back in.

Can anyone recommend a good online backup service? I'd like to be able to restore my computer if something Goes Wrong.

I use Jungledisk, and have for years. (On the other hand, I only use it to backup my data--documents, photos, music, videos, and so forth. I either have the original install disks or saved links to downloaded software to reinstall if that ever becomes necessary.)

Yeah, it gets rolled out as an update, so depending on your Windows Update settings you might get those failed attempts.  I've seen some account from other people who got that behavior.  In one case it was a sysadmin whose workplace machines started to upgrade themselves.  I made damn sure that won't happen on my network.

Yeah, it gets rolled out as an update, so depending on your Windows Update settings you might get those failed attempts.  I've seen some account from other people who got that behavior.  In one case it was a sysadmin whose workplace machines started to upgrade themselves.  I made damn sure that won't happen on my network.

Mental image, Gandalf on the bridge in Moria confronting the Balrog with famous "You shall not pass" challenge.

Insert label tag on Balrog that says "Windows 10 update".

• 2 weeks later...

My Logitech F310 game controller works in Win10, but the control software that lets you tweak settings is not out for the new OS. I think Microsoft really wants you to buy one of their controllers, but I might pre-order the new Steam Controller which will probably have much better support for Windows than my current controller and is about the same price as the Microsoft Xbox One controllers they apparently want everyone to purchase.

My Logitech F310 game controller works in Win10, but the control software that lets you tweak settings is not out for the new OS. I think Microsoft really wants you to buy one of their controllers, but I might pre-order the new Steam Controller which will probably have much better support for Windows than my current controller and is about the same price as the Microsoft Xbox One controllers they apparently want everyone to purchase.

It's up to Logitech to write the Windows 10 drivers/utilities, not MS.

If I do the Free Upgrade to 7, do I get a new Product Key so I could put it into a rebuilt computer? Cuz I'm getting ready to upgrade mine...

I assume you mean the upgrade to 10.

You don't get a new key that you can use to install on another system. It installs a key that is tied to your system. [short break while did some searching] Check out Thurrott.com for ongoing Windows 10 information. Your question is answered here: https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5008/windows-10-tip-associate-your-pc-with-your-free-windows-10-license