Resisting Martial Throws with strength

Ninja-Bear

Even active strength cannot resist martial throw. Because their is no grab contest. However Acrobatics, Break Fall, Clinging, Density Increase, Growth and Flight can. In my games I also allow Knockback Resistance.

6E2 page 82, and 92 respectively address throws.

Per the rules, no. This is annoying in that it is one of those "roll a successful hit, and you succeed" effects that all should get an "!" However, there are so many powers and skills which counteract throws, that I guess they decided that any genre of game would have a defense available.

I would be disinclined. The high strength characters already have so many advantages, and martial throws do not really pit strength versus strength, instead it is more momentum and leverage. The throw already has a large list of defences that do work against it and you would be awarding extra powers to the high strength character even though he did not pay for them at the expense of the character who did pay for a fancy attack. But my opinions are far less valid in your games than your own.

DVC is all good.

Casual uses of powers cannot be used to lesson damage.

Blocking cancels damage.

You have a book reference for that rule?

My first thoughts are that Block is not a Power, it is a Maneuver.  There is no such thing as a Casual Block which is why I was a bit confused when you said they are not allowed and then defined them as DCV.

While not negating Damage, Casual use of a Characteristic or Power can be used to lessen the Effect of attacks such as Entangles or Grabs.  Most Defensive Powers are either active or not when you take Damage so a Casual use doesn't really make much sense, but I could see Casual use of an Attack Power negating Damage/Effects in the right circumstance (like a setting that allows Powers of opposing SFX to cancel each other out).

You have a book reference for that rule?

6E1 131

"Only Powers and related abilities can be used Casually; a character cannot, for example, perform a Casual Haymaker, Casual Martial Strike, or Casual Block."

6E1 132

"But [the GM] should never allow a character to Casually use a Power to attack or harm another character, or to reduce the Knockback or other negative effects [the character] suffers from most attacks."

My first thoughts are that Block is not a Power, it is a Maneuver.

Right.

There is no such thing as a Casual Block which is why I was a bit confused when you said they are not allowed and then defined them as DCV.

In the absence of a Casual Block in the rules I deemed mere DCV to be a viable substitute.

Take shields for instance.

While not negating Damage, Casual use of a Characteristic or Power can be used to lessen the Effect of attacks such as Entangles or Grabs.

True.

Most Defensive Powers are either active or not when you take Damage so a Casual use doesn't really make much sense, but I could see Casual use of an Attack Power negating Damage/Effects in the right circumstance (like a setting that allows Powers of opposing SFX to cancel each other out).

Subtle.

That's where you block the attack using the body part your opponent was aiming at to begin with.

That's obviously not what he meant when he used the phrase.  He capitalized it along with other game terms like Block and Breakfall and although I had to ask multiple times he already stated what he actually meant.

You could maybe come up with an Iron Horse Stance or something where it's bought as Clinging, only to resist being thrown or moved(-1). In that case, the thrower or shover's adjusted STR would have to overcome the STR of the clinging.

I've seen this before, but then I realized that if I want to make this an everyman maneuver, then I should tack on causal strength (-1)