ARENA GAMES S3: Official Draft Thread

Logan D. Hurricanes

haaC9Fs.png

And so it begins ...

Here we go, folks, the game is afoot! First up is Orchid with two selections.

Please PM the next person in line when you make your choice.

Round two order:

1. Foreign Orchid
  2. Psybolt
  3. Enforcer84
  4. SKJAM!
  5. Steve
  6. bigbywolfe
  7. Lady Pariah
  8. Pariah

Psybolt and Enforcer84 both have two keepers, so they won't select in round two. This means SKJAM is after Foreign Orchid.

Orchid, the stage is yours :hex:

=============================================

Points and Rounds

BONUS POINTS

Drafting characters will earn you bonus points depending upon whom you select. Each round will have a theme with special bonus point criteria. Here are the universal criteria and their value. They are cumulative.

• +2 points if the pick is selected within 12 hours (Still have 24 hours to pick)

• +2 point if character cannot speak

• +1 point if the character wears a costume in super ID

• +1 point for codename

• +1 for current criminals

• +2 point if the character has never starred in an ongoing book, either solo or team

• Does not apply to characters with fewer than six appearances.

Draft Themes:

1. Round 1 -- Open [Catch up]

1. +2 if Marvel or DC

2. +1 if character never fought in the arena before

2. Round 1 -- Open [Two keeper teams skip this]

1. +3 if your team has a name

2. +2 if Marvel or DC

3. +1 if I like you

3. Round 3 -- Girl Power! [women only]

1. +1 if name is not a derivative of a male character

2. +1 if character is not a martial artist

3. +2-4 if character is not a supermodel

4. Round 4 -- Youth Movement [19 or younger]

1. +1 if never a sidekick

2. +1 if under 10

5. Round 5 -- 80s Night [first appearance ‘80-’89]

1. +1 if fad or trend based powers/theme

2. +1 if no ninjutsu training

3. +1 if not a mutant

6. Round 6 -- No Powers, No Problem [up to super spy/super soldier powers]

1. +2 if totally mundane (real world, can buy it in a store stuff only)

2. +1 if no equipment used

7. Round 7 -- Color of Victory

1. +1 if the color is not green

2. +1 if the color is also not red, blue, black, or white

3. +1 if the character was created after 1986

8. Round 8 -- Indy Festival [no Marvel or DC]

1. +1 if appeared before 1992

2. +1 if not Marvel, DC, or Image

In addition to the standard no-overpowers rule (now including Hyperion), the following keepers are off the draft table:

• Cap. Amurica
  • She-Hulk
  • Big Barda
  • Mister Miracle
  • Ant-Man
  • Power Girl
  • The Thing
  • Thor
  • Carol Danvers

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get two picks before moving on to the next person? Am I the only person who has no keepers at all? Wow.

I do have a few questions about this set up, though:

Are non-US/Canada sources allowed? For example, could I use a popular Manga / Anime character? 

Are we sticking only with comic book characters still and not characters who only appear in Movies or TV shows. For example, I couldn't draft Jessica Alba's Dark Angel (unless she has a comic book series that I am not aware of). 

Next up, I just want to clear up what the following rule means: "+1 if name is not a derivative of a male character." I assume this means that characters like "She Hulk" and "Bat Girl" don't get extra points but characters like the female version of "Dr. Light" still would because while she shares the name, it isn't a female spin on the name - just the name. Right? 

Does "Not a Martial Artist" mean "not a certified Karate, Kungfu or other such Martial Arts user" but still can be a capable fighter or does even the "capable fighter" disqualify someone? For example, Captain America is an actual Martial Artists as he was trained explicitly in several forms. But Super Girl generally isn't considered one even though she is a capable fighter. Also, what of characters who don't have this as their shtick but are still trained like War-Machine? 

For the no-powers round, I assume characters with comic-booky tech are allowable and their tech operates the same way. For example, Captain America's shield is still made of Vibranium and is still neigh unbreakable. Lightsabers would also be viable in that situation even though they are by no means possible in the real world. 

For the Color of Victory bit, is this different from last season? The wording seems to imply the character just have an odd color. Last season the character had to have the color in their name. Which is it this time? 

Anyway, those were my initial questions. I will post my first two picks here shortly (ish). 

Foreign Orchid. 

Team Name: Science Buddies!

-Only characters with Advance Degrees.

Three points for the name, and maybe one more point if the Commish is nice.

Pick number one:

Superior Spiderman

(Body of Peter Parker, minds of Doc Oc and Peter, though).

peterparkersuperior_zps471b9259.jpg

2 for speedy

1 for costume

1 for codename (I assume this means superhero ID - ie. "spiderman")

Current Criminal? Maybe. Doc Oc did turn a bit of a leaf when becoming the Superior Spiderman but he is a criminal.

1 for it being his first time

2 for being a Marvel creation.

Total of 7 points.

Pick number two:

Barry Allen's Flash.

2990285-0776950153-the-f.jpg

2 for being speedy

1 for the costume

1 for the codename (The Flash)

2 for being DC

Foreign Orchid.

I do have a few questions about this set up, though:

Are non-US/Canada sources allowed? For example, could I use a popular Manga / Anime character?

They are all allowed. I decided it would be a better compromise to allow them, but encourage more mainstream selections through points. Again, I caution people on their choice of obscure characters.

Are we sticking only with comic book characters still and not characters who only appear in Movies or TV shows. For example, I couldn't draft Jessica Alba's Dark Angel (unless she has a comic book series that I am not aware of).

Still strictly comic book sources at this time.

Next up, I just want to clear up what the following rule means: "+1 if name is not a derivative of a male character." I assume this means that characters like "She Hulk" and "Bat Girl" don't get extra points but characters like the female version of "Dr. Light" still would because while she shares the name, it isn't a female spin on the name - just the name. Right?

She-Hulk, Batgirl, Supergirl, Spider-Woman, etc., these obviously don't get that bonus. But Dr. Light wouldn't either as she is still the name and motif of a male character. Ditto for The Question and Wildcat, for example, who started as male character identities that were assumed by a female.

Does "Not a Martial Artist" mean "not a certified Karate, Kungfu or other such Martial Arts user" but still can be a capable fighter or does even the "capable fighter" disqualify someone? For example, Captain America is an actual Martial Artists as he was trained explicitly in several forms. But Super Girl generally isn't considered one even though she is a capable fighter. Also, what of characters who don't have this as their shtick but are still trained like War-Machine?

My intention is not a trained fighter w/ martial weapons as their primary offense. (Lady Shiva, Black Widow, Mockingbird, etc.) Almost all characters will have some fight training at some point. Supergirl is a good example; a capable fighter, but doesn't rely solely on her trained techniques to battle.

For the no-powers round, I assume characters with comic-booky tech are allowable and their tech operates the same way. For example, Captain America's shield is still made of Vibranium and is still neigh unbreakable. Lightsabers would also be viable in that situation even though they are by no means possible in the real world.

This will be the round of most debate, I'm sure. We may as well start on that now.

Gadgets: must be either possible in the real world or on the verge of possible through near future science; or a real world equivalent will be used. Frex: Cap's shield is allowed because for all intents it is merely a superhard material, and we do have those. Batarangs don't exist, but they could because modern tech can build them. Explosive arrowheads exist for the trick arrow sets. Lightsabers do not and cannot exist, so they're out. Pym particles and GL rings are all out, as is Iron Man or War Machine tech. Trick arrows that open dimensional rifts are out. 

The simplest way to look at it: if it's a mechanical device that could exist, it's in. If it manipulates energy forms in a fantastic way, it's probably out.

Physical abilities: Captain America, super soldier, is your upper limit. So slightly enhanced humans are acceptable, but nothing overboard (and no powers). Examples would include Bane, Mockingbird, Harley Quinn, etc.

Magic and psionics are out, too.

For the Color of Victory bit, is this different from last season? The wording seems to imply the character just have an odd color. Last season the character had to have the color in their name. Which is it this time?

This is the same as last season, a color in the character's name.

And now we anxiously await SKJAM!

(BTW, are we still PMing the next contestant to let them know it's their turn?)

(Lord Commissioner, can you Pin this thread as well? I, for one, would find it eminently helpful.  Please and thank you.)

New team name: ICONS

Round Two Pick: Thundra

3063707-thundra_full_artwork.png

Estimated points

+2 points if the pick is selected within 12 hours

+1 point if the character wears a costume in super ID

+1 point for codename

+3 if your team has a name

+2 if Marvel or DC

Not sure if she qualifies on the other optional point adds.

PM sent.

My first pick is William Baker, perhaps more well known as Flint Marko, the Sandman.
250px-Tboltssandman.jpg

Team name is Salt of the Earth.

+2 points if the pick is selected within 12 hours (Still have 24 hours to pick)

+1 point for codename

+2 if Marvel or DC

+1 if I like you?

Total of 8 (9?) points

New team name: ICONS

Round Two Pick: Thundra

3063707-thundra_full_artwork.png

Estimated points

+2 points if the pick is selected within 12 hours

+1 point if the character wears a costume in super ID

+1 point for codename

+2 if Marvel or DC

Not sure if she qualifies on the other optional point adds.

PM sent.

Great pick. My first comicbook crush, actually.

My only question is...I don't think Thundra is a codename, but I may be wrong these days and that's been retconned.(Or I've always been wrong. That happens too)

Sorry. The pick is mine now. Monkey #2 and I were in a car accident yesterday. Was at the ER until late last night getting checked out. We are fine. Just a bit beat up and bruised and thankfully medicated. :nonp:  I'm looking at things now and will get my pick in ASAP.

Glad that you and Monkey 2 are okay.  I hope they gave you the good stuff for medication.  :)

Glad that you and Monkey 2 are okay.  I hope they gave you the good stuff for medication.  

Oh they did! I slept like a rock last night. Didn't hear a thing from my kids this morning. Great while the hubs is at home this weekend. Not so great once he goes back to work on Tuesday. But I'll take what I can get.

Thanks everyone for your concern and kind words!