ARENA GAMES S3: Official Draft Thread

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my normals pick, I am bumping up my colors pick. Please welcome Black Panther to my team. Now I must find a new color pick who is also super smart.

So the non-powers pick for me will be...

Moon Knight

W1tLsqL.png

Black Panther was my anticipated choice for this round, with Moon Knight on my short list of backups.  Sniped twice in consecutive posts.  Shucks and similar commentary.

No Powers, No Problem pick: Red Sonja

4465473-5608409714-red_s.jpg

"Know also, O prince, that in the selfsame days that the CIMMERIAN did stalk the HYBORIAN KINGDOMS, one of the few swords worthy to cross his was that of RED SONJA, warrior-woman out of majestic HYRKANIA. Forced to flee her homeland because she spurned the advances of a king and slew him instead, she rode west across the TURANIAN steppes and into the shadowed mists of legendry."

— The Nemedian Chronicles

In the savage world of Skartaris, life is a constant struggle for survival. Here, beneath an unblinking orb of eternal sunlight, one simple law prevails: If you let down your guard for an instant you will soon be very dead.

1st Issue Special #8

From the center of the Earth itself I choose Travis Morgan.  With nothing but a pistol and sword Travis has survived dinosaurs, killed necromantic wizards, befriended kings, married a sorceress, brought peace to as large of portion of Skartaris to have ever seen peace and earned the name The Warlord.

warlord.jpg

+2 points if the pick is selected within 12 hours (Still have 24 hours to pick)

+1 point for codename (not sure if The Warlord counts as a codename or not)

+2 if totally mundane (real world, can buy it in a store stuff only)

Total of +5?

(EDITed to add details I couldn't from my phone).

I struggled with this pick. I wanted someone else but I wanted to make sure this pick didn't get snipped in the next round. We draft....

Oliver Queen, AKA Green Arrow

Green_Arrow_Prestige_Series_by_Thuddlest

P.S. I'm kicking myself that I didn't draft him in the musical draft! Queen! Duh! :stupid:

As you can see from the picture below, Hal is very excited about this pick.

Green_Lantern_and_Green_Arrow.jpg

I struggled with this pick. I knew coming in exactly who I wanted . . . and then watched Foreign Orchid snatch him away with the very first pick of the round. Kudos to you for having excellent taste. :thumbup:

That's okay, I had backups. And then Psybolt took the one I would have leaned toward (had I had time) with the very next pick. Again, well done. :thumbup:

So that left me with a dilemma: Who should I pick?

The obvious choice was Batman . . . except that there seems to be a large anti-Batman movement here. He fared much worse than I would have anticipated last season.  The hatred was surprising.  He was out.

Mockingbird, former agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. and recent recipient of the new Super-Soldier formula, also held a certain appeal . . . but she fared poorly last season as well.  Maybe residual dissatisfaction from how things ended with Hawkeye.  Anyway, she was out as well.

How about The Question? He's a big fan favorite, no doubt.  But could he hold his own in a fight against some of the others who have been drafted in this round? I wasn't convinced.

So who, then? There are plenty of square-jawed Nazi-punching mystery men from the Golden Age of comics--including the guy with perhaps my favorite superhero uniform ever--but so many of them are too obscure to draw a lot of votes. Other than Cap and, to a lesser degree, Destroyer, they generally haven't done well in the Arena.

So what did I need? A non-powered hero who was instantly recognizable, skilled in combat, and universally loved (or at least respected).

And then it came to me.

He is one of the very first costumed crimefighters, arguably the original embodiment of the masked vigilante.  His skills in combat are unparalleled, although he is just as likely to use his wits to defeat his enemies.  His name brings joy to the weak and strikes fear into the hearts of corrupt leaders and criminals.  He has been an inspiration for generations of other heroes, from Batman to Inigo Montoya and the Dread Pirate Roberts and beyond.  And his mark universally recognized.

My No Powers, No Problem pick: Don Diego de la Vega, El Zorro!

Zorro_2008_01_cover.jpg

Theme music: A bit of a stretch, perhaps, but I'm going with Al Di Meola's "Race with Devil on Spanish Highway".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-v__JkP3sg

And now I really must get to work.  I'll post the first pick of Round 7 at lunch if I can.

I hadn't thought of Zorro. Nice choice. 

Now we start the second to last round. I wonder if we will be all finished up before the weekend concludes. If we do, will we end up starting the tournament next Monday or delay it for the week? 

Anyway, I look forward to seeing everyone's Color Picks. I imagine mine is safe (luckily). Alas, my pick doesn't meet my personal criteria of being a scholar of some sort but C'est la vie. If anyone has any ideas for characters that have a color in their (code)name and is also a scholar of some kind, please let me know. ^-^

Foreign Orchid. 

All right, I'm finally ready to make my next pick now.  Sorry it's taken so long; I was dealing with students all day.  Bloody inconvenient.

Anyhoo, we begin Round 7: The Color of Victory with Jennifer-Lynn Hayden, the superheroine known as Jade!

Green_Lantern_Jade.jpg

All the powers of a Green Lantern, none of the tacky costume jewelry. :winkgrin:

Theme music:  "Pulstar" by Vangelis

Back to you, Lady Pariah!  :coach: