ARENA GAMES S3: Official Draft Thread

Logan D. Hurricanes

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Much as I'd like to go obscure, that kicked me in the teeth repeatedly last go-round.

So for a combination of power, versatility and popularity, I pick:

Jaime Reyes, the Blue Beetle!

Jaime, bless his heart, went 0-for-the-season for me last time. I hope you have better luck with him. He's a great character. :thumbup:

For my color of victory round I was having trouble finding a scholar who also had a color themed codename. So instead I just decided to go with a character that I share a certain similarity with. Please welcome Science Buddies resident question asker: Black Orchid. 

220px-BlackO.JPG

222809-183276-black-orchid.jpg

For my indy round I had lots of choices. But I needed someone who was a real powerhouse that could stand up to the likes of Shazam, Supergirl, Black Adam, etc. But I also needed one that was smart. And someone well known enough despite being Indy to garner some public favor. That made my choice hard. I decided to go with someone who is, in their continuity, quite smart and scholar but whose on screen time focuses more on their combat and power prowess. Please welcome to my team the adult version of Gohan - sometimes known as the Great Saiyaman. 

jXMBW1G1.jpeg

1683859-janemba_2.jpg

Foreign Orchid. 

I thought about Donatello for my 80s pick figured that Robin would have similar or better popularity and actuallt garner a few points, too.

Foreign Orchid.

Just curious... why would you choose Donatello over the others?  My very first time seeing TMNT I chose Leonardo because of the blue mask and the fact that he was the basic leader.  Why Donatello?

Just curious... why would you choose Donatello over the others? My very first time seeing TMNT I chose Leonardo because of the blue mask and the fact that he was the basic leader. Why Donatello?

As a personal choice I just like Donatello and Michelangelo more. But in context of this draft, I set up my team to all be the geniuses of some franchise. Of the four Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Donatello is the smart one. At least in a technological sense.

Foreign Orchid.

And here we go...last pick was a toughie. I was going to go for a third match up pair and pick Blue Beetle. A different version was drafted than I planned on using. Even still, I don't want two (or three if you count Jade) with basically the same powers as my characters. I thought about Black Knight. I really like him. But then I came across a different pick. Although most likely relatively unknown to most, the more I read, the more I decided he was the bad-a all around awesome superhero that would complete my team. He is a mix of Aquaman, Batman, Hercules, Spiderman, and several other heroes meets Houdini and MacGyver. I give you...

Super Commando Dhruva

super+commando+dhruv.jpg

os-super-herois-mais-engracados-e-intere

250px-Super_Commando_Dhruva_%28Pinup%29.

getimage-1.jpg

Here is a list of his powers from wikipedia:

Powers, abilities and resources 220px-Dhruva_displaying_some_of_his_abil
(above picture Dhruva displaying his abilities in Jupiter Circus show)

Dhruva has no inherent superhuman powers. His only supernatural power seems to be the ability to communicate with most animals and birds which he learned in his childhood, while growing up in Jupiter circus, playing with circus's pet animals. He can communicate with various animals ranging from a dog to a lion and most birds. The only animal that he can not communicate with is a gorilla, as shown in "Bahri Maut". Dhruva can also communicate with dolphins, an art taught to him by Anna, who used to conduct dolphin shows in Jupiter circus. These animals often help Dhruva in various tasks ranging from transportation, reporting him of an occurrence of a crime in front of their eyes to even assisting him in his fights.

Another supernatural power acquired by Dhruva is the ability to breathe and talk inside water. Dhruva received this power as a gift from his good friend Dhananjay, a resident of Swarna Nagri, an underwater city located on the seabed not very far from Indian sea shores, which is home to Swarna Manavas, the descendants/bloodline of Gods. Their technology is far more advanced as compared to humans which allowed Dhananjay to fit a chip inside Dhruva's neck by a short surgical procedure, there by providing Dhruva the ability to speak and breathe inside water.

Although Dhruva does not possess any inherent superpowers, he makes up for it with his detective skills, scientific knowledge and acrobatics and martial art skills. Dhruva is known to possess a high level intellect. His deductive reasoning and lateral thinking combined with his presence of mind and scientific knowledge regarding laws of physics allow him to make innovative use of harmless objects lying around to defeat his enemies. Spanish columnist Wright noted that Dhruva "has a MacGyver-like ability to use a paper clip or soup spoon to defeat enemies".[10] Dhruva has been shown as the most intelligent and knowledgeable amongst all superheroes of Raj comics universe. He is a master strategist and tactician. In crossovers, the other superheroes make use of their superpowers according to Dhruva's plans to defeat powerful enemies. He is also a master escapologist. In 'Commando Force', Black Cat compares him to Houdini, while Nagraj once trapped in an enemy's trap wonders, "What would have Dhruva done, had he been in my place?" to get inspirational idea.

Dhruva is physically very strong. He received strength training from Hercules, circus's strongman. He is also adept at trapeze, balancing and other acrobatic arts that he learned from his own parents. His body has great flexibility and great reflexes, so much so that he can even dodge bullets. He is expert in most forms of martial arts and hand to hand combat techniques. He is also expert in free running and has been shown to jump, climb and swing through various obstacles and skyscrapers to chase down his enemies. He is an excellent marksman, thanks to the training he received from circus's knife throwing expert Ranjan and shooting expert Sulaiman. Though Dhruva despises firearms in principle, he makes good use of his marksmanship while using his star blades (Dhruva's personalised shurikens) to disarm or injure his enemy. Dhruva can even hit a target or fight an enemy blind-folded by judging the faint noises of their movements.

Dhruva is an expert biker and stunter. He learned stunt motorcycling from motorcyclist Pawan, who used to display his wall of death stunts in Jupiter Circus. Dhruva is so adept at controlling and balancing his bike that it is famously said that Dhruva's bike is nothing but a part of his body. Dhruva has been shown to have received special permission from Road Traffic department so that the traffic restrictions including traffic signals, one way, overtaking prohibition, speed limits and other such restrictions that can hamper his duties don't apply to him. Dhruva is also a licensed pilot and flies his own aircraft/jets throughout the world.

Dhruva's greatest strength is his unparalled willpower that keeps him going in toughest of circumstances. He has been shown to possess the greatest willpower known to mankind.[10] His indomitable will makes him rather immune from mind control, hypnosis and other mind tricks employed by his enemies possessing psychic powers. Such attacks rarely work on him, and when they do, Dhruva quickly manages to come out of their effect. Dhruva has also developed the ability to hold his breath for 20mins. which helps him against poisonous gas attacks.

Dhruva is also the founder and captain of a government approved crime fighting organisation "Commando Force", which has earned Dhruva the titles such as Captain Dhruva and Super Commando. Dhruva is also a master of disguise and has made full use of his talent in titles such as 'Lahu Ke Pyase' and 'Nagadheesh'. Dhruva has always had full support of the police department and full access to all police records and classified documents, not only because his foster father Rajan Mehra is the Inspector General of Police but also because Dhruva has always had utmost respect for the law enforcing bodies and has never taken law in his hands. Later, being a member of Brahmand Rakshak, Dhruva, along with all the other members of the team, was honorarily awarded the powers and rights equivalent to a Commissioner of Police.

The final player chosen in the NFL draft every year received the dubious title of "Mister Irrelevant", because he seldom makes the team and almost never makes a big impact on the league.

The final player in this season's Arena Draft will most certainly not be eligible for the title of Mister Irrelevant . . .if, for no other reason, because she's a woman.

From the pages of Astro City, I give you Lauren Freed, the woman known as Winged Victory!

5772.jpg

Theme music: "The Warrior" by Scandal featuring Patty Smyth

And so NQJL (Not Quite the Justice League) fills its roster. I'll see you all in the Arena ladies and gentlemen!

Since I found myself with some time tonight, I decided to make a post with links to all my characters

Superior Spiderman

superior_spiderman_by_ix_s-d7bv8eu.jpg

base
2 speed
1 costume
1 codename 

specific 
2 - Marvel
1 - New Entry

total 
7 total

Flash-Barry-Allen.jpg

base
2 speed
1 costume
1 codename

specific 
3 - Science Buddies
2 - Marvel
1 - Paid the Commish

total
10 total

909745-drlight_rodolfo_migliari2.jpg

base
2 speed
1 costume
1 codename
2 not the star

specific 
1 Not a martial artist
2 to 4 points for not being a supermodel (Physicist and Mother)

total
9-13 total

2697604-cyborg628.jpg

base
2 speed
1 costume
1 codename

specific 
1 - not a sidekick

total
5 total

2023075-red_robin_.png

base
2 speed
1 costume
1 codename

specific 
1 - not a mutant
1 - Not a Ninja (kind of)

total
6 total

black-panther-movie-image.jpg

base
2 speed
1 costume
1 codename 

specific
2 - mundane 
1 - unarmed

total
7 total

786c27f52d6fc4688f0284eeb58f775d.jpg

base
2 speed
1 costume
1 codename

specific
1 - not green

total
5 total

Gohan (Formerly the Super Sayian Man)

Son.Gohan.full.1275242.jpg

sbse
2 speed
1 costume
1 codename

specific
1 - before 92
1 - Not Marvel, DC, or Image

total
6 total. 

Grand Total
57 to 59 points. 

Foreign Orchid. 

Honestly, I'm surprised my concept for this team worked as well as it did.  I had aspirations of drafting an ersatz Justice League for this season, but I was concerned about the many, many problems that could be caused by sniping. As it turns out, I only got sniped once, and that led me to arguably a better character than the one I originally had in mind.  (BTW, thanks, Foreign Orchid. :thumbup:)

My team is based on the Original 7 of the Justice League animated series. To wit:

Superman - Male FISS and boy scout: Captain Marvel (Billy Batson)

Wonder Woman - Female FISS, more pragmatic: Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

Batman - Wealthy, highly skilled non-powered crimefighter: Zorro (Diego de la Vega)

Martian Manhunter - Scary telepath who's not from around here: Marvel Girl (Rachel Grey)

Flash - Young, impulsive speedster: The Dash (Dashiell Parr)

Green Lantern - Manipulator of green cosmic energies: Jade (Jennifer-Lynn Hayden)

Hawkgirl - Winged warrior woman with a deadly weapon and an attitude: Winged Victory (Lauren Freed)

Admittedly, Monica Rambeau doesn't really match up with anyone in the Justice League (Dr. Light, maybe?), but the opportunity to draft a third Captain Marvel was just too much fun to pass up.

Now we just have to see how they'll do in the Arena.  Should be fun!

Honestly, I'm surprised my concept for this team worked as well as it did.  I had aspirations of drafting an ersatz Justice League for this season, but I was concerned about the many, many problems that could be caused by sniping. As it turns out, I only got sniped once, and that led me to arguably a better character than the one I originally had in mind.  (BTW, thanks, Foreign Orchid. :thumbup:)

My team is based on the Original 7 of the Justice League animated series. To wit:

Superman - Male FISS and boy scout: Captain Marvel (Billy Batson)

Wonder Woman - Female FISS, more pragmatic: Captain Marvel (Carol Danvers)

Batman - Wealthy, highly skilled non-powered crimefighter: Zorro (Diego de la Vega)

Martian Manhunter - Scary telepath who's not from around here: Marvel Girl (Rachel Grey)

Flash - Young, impulsive speedster: The Dash (Dashiell Parr)

Green Lantern - Manipulator of green cosmic energies: Jade (Jennifer-Lynn Hayden)

Hawkgirl - Winged warrior woman with a deadly weapon and an attitude: Winged Victory (Lauren Freed)

Admittedly, Monica Rambeau doesn't really match up with anyone in the Justice League (Dr. Light, maybe?), but the opportunity to draft a third Captain Marvel was just too much fun to pass up.

Now we just have to see how they'll do in the Arena.  Should be fun!

I was certain you were going for an all Marvel team, picking Jean Grey for the Colour round and Marvelman for the Independent round.

• 2 weeks later...