Gritty Masked Avengers Campaign

TheDarkness

Working on a pretty gritty campaign, the same players will also be playing a regular super hero campaign, but I will occasionally alternate between the two when I need a break to work on the next part of one.

Now, I know some here don't like too realistic a game, and especially given the time it takes to make characters in Champions, it can be daunting, so here is what I have planned, as I intend to have death being a real possibility:

1. Players start with three characters, playing one at the outset. Characters will be relatively low point, and I have been working on modifying an excel character sheet and excel skills lists so that they can use them to be fairly modular in their character design, just copying and pasting, with the character sheet designed not to allow them to assign a value above the campaign limits.

2. The game values smart play and good role play. So, if you make enemies that your guy really can't cope with, you will probably die, etc. However, I have the stipulation that, for characters played well, and especially and primarily role played well, if they die, they will be guaranteed a) An awesome death, and B) a continued presence in the story as street level legends, stories everyone from the neighborhood will know, this sort of thing.

3. Some sessions will actually be combat training, essentially combat sessions, for example, in armor with sticks to emulate swords, with the people not using full strength, tests like climb here and take this while avoiding the "guards", who are actually the people training them. Sometimes, the characters will actually be doing a session in training that they will follow with an identical mission in reality.

Anyway, curious people's thoughts on this...

I'm getting ready to run a Gamma World campaign (as a break from our normal Champions campaign) and am also doing numbers 1 and 2 above.  It's a lethal world.  Period. 

I have also specified beginning everyman skills and characteristic maxima. 

I personally like where you're headed with it but, like anything else, it's all about the implementation. :)

I'm getting ready to run a Gamma World campaign (as a break from our normal Champions campaign) and am also doing numbers 1 and 2 above.  It's a lethal world.  Period. 

I have also specified beginning everyman skills and characteristic maxima. 

I personally like where you're headed with it but, like anything else, it's all about the implementation. :)

I hadn't thought about the everyman thing, I will definitely give that some thought!